Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Hi FJ,

Not sure if I am happy that you are back in the internet zone as you have trodden on my head as you begin your climb up the tipsters ladder.

Keep in mind that you may need to take some risks to catch the likes of Alex, BM and Will.

You can always make some last minute changes to your tips. I would suggest you review your picks before bounce down today after a few long necks of Chang to focus your thinking.

I am enjoying fantasy, but need my remaining 8 players for this round to fire up to pull past Beam me up Scottie P and hopefully post a win and gain some percentage. He has only two players to play but is 286 points ahead. Exciting.

• Like 2

Half time in the Fantasy...some off us particular me was busy reorganising my team over the 3 week break and am happy to report I'm doing Rip, should pull in around the 2000 by games end as i type 1645 to 1287, and still 2 prime movers to play.

JoBlow should pull i toff he's up against one of the weaker AFL players...

Chooks was closing in on the top team but class has pulled away 300 to much to make up and i might get some breathing room down there in the depths of the bottom rungs.

FJ should coast home a clear 400 up...

GANT will get rolled 270 down will fight it out but just a bit to much to make up to pull it off.

With Grants expected loss he will drop to 6th assuming Chargers win

JoBlow will move up to 7th

I will move up to 9th 1 game out of the 8 and watch out boys the reigning premiers are going to give the top half of the ladder a shake.

Chooks Rip Fj and Leon follow in that order

Fj will win but wont move due to %

Good luck boys.

• Like 2

Tipster results are in!

Farmerjo and Cynical Sailor both tipped 8/9. Great effort with a couple of difficult games.

Farmerjo had the best margin of the two and is winner this week

Joboss will be disappointed after tipping the exact margin, he would have been looking to holding the weekly trophy

The Tipping board has seen some movement. Contenders Sobek (oldcroc) and radar501 had disastrous rounds of 4/9 and have dropped down to 94 points each

AlexRRR, aka The Ox, hitched his cart to the wrong beasts this week and has dropped off the top of the leader board

Will27 has come back up the leader board and now sits one point clear on top of the table on 99 points, with Alexrrr and myself next on 98.

There are only 2 points splitting the top 7 Tipsters and 5 points separating the top 10.

One good week for any tipster could slot you on top of the table and one bad week drops you out of the top 8

Nice work Famerjo and Cynical Sailor getting 8 in a toughish round.

Even better work by Farmerjo in taking out the weekly award.

Still very tight gang.

• Like 2

Tipster results are in!

Farmerjo and Cynical Sailor both tipped 8/9. Great effort with a couple of difficult games.

Farmerjo had the best margin of the two and is winner this week

Joboss will be disappointed after tipping the exact margin, he would have been looking to holding the weekly trophy

The Tipping board has seen some movement. Contenders Sobek (oldcroc) and radar501 had disastrous rounds of 4/9 and have dropped down to 94 points each

AlexRRR, aka The Ox, hitched his cart to the wrong beasts this week and has dropped off the top of the leader board

Will27 has come back up the leader board and now sits one point clear on top of the table on 99 points, with Alexrrr and myself next on 98.

There are only 2 points splitting the top 7 Tipsters and 5 points separating the top 10.

One good week for any tipster could slot you on top of the table and one bad week drops you out of the top 8

Nice summary of the weekend, BM.

Really enjoyed Chimpys commentary.

Will he be covering Thursday night game Swans v Hawks at the SCG?

Should be a ripper. Toss of the coin??

• Like 2

Yeah well...WILL does handle the pressure better....was an outside chance i took on North but Mr FJ your team are a bunch of girls i did expect better from them, they got no chance now of finishing anywhere that will matter.

But WILL i will be your Rudd....so pick cleanly or i will pounce....the ox is nice and slow...the main thing I'm above the other 2 yesterdays heroes....

• Like 2

The Results of FANTASY were dreams are made of, yep after much soul searching in Dee land and major reshuffle in the quite part of the season the REIGNING premiers made a statement today by convincingly trouncing RIP it was over by half time, he did put up some resistance and did mange to hold me still a 300 point win is a good win and since I'm the premier I'm allowed to glot until GF day, and i believe all of next season as well as i doubt JoBlow or Grant will be able to beat the trio of the TRADERS.

JoBlow managed to scrape over the line to record a win over the woods scottie,

Chooks was totally outclassed getting a thumping....might want to consider changing gurneys son,

FJ well the man....who does amazing things former tipping winner who was once a hero managed ot fall over the line against Leon who hardly posts in here.

And our only hero who stands for TV holding the banner for us all was beaten buy Swans Heezs, Grant will be disappointed good show strong come back but to far behind at half time to stumble at less 93 points.

Well the AFL up to its old tricks again ladder was not accurate when reporting at half time Grant at 4th....JO boss moves to 6th...i like this guy, obviously single has the time to put into the team, i move to 10th 2 games out god dam disgrace bout hey i could shape the top 8, i should be 4 clear of old boy Chooks but I'm not, think I've won 5 not 4....ummm followed closely by RIP FJ and Leon...

The Tackle: Robbo’s likes and dislikes for Round 16 of the AFL season

TRAVIS Cloke was a colossus against the Giants and the Magpies took tagging to the extreme. Marcus Bontempelli continues to show why he is the AFL’s wonder boy while Tom Lynch and Peter Wright are set to scare most opposition sides.

It was a tough weekend for Lewis Taylor and Greater Western Sydney while the Carlton forward line continues to struggle.

Mark Robinson reveals his likes and dislikes from Round 16.

1. Travis Cloke. He has lived in the ‘dislikes’ column for parts of the season and has dealt with scrutiny more than any player in recent memory. Was a colossus against the Giants on Saturday.

He led at the ball and clunked five contested marks in his total of 12, kicked 4.1 and had the second most inside 50m entries (six) behind Steele Sidebottom (eight). Who knows what that does for

Cloke’s future at the club. If he keeps close to this standard, then one of two things will happen: He stays or his trade worth sky rockets.

2. Match-up winners. Tagging has returned to the game and Collingwood took it to the extreme which, combined with pressure and intensity, had too many Giants being non-factors. Grundy disposed

of Mumford after quarter-time continuing a rich run of scalps for the Collingwood ruckman. Other winners were Brent Macaffer on Heath Shaw, Ben Sinclair on Toby Greene and James Aish on Tom Scully,

a player in every third of the ground. Taylor Adams was a huge in the midfield, which Mick McGuane would be happy with, and we will say it again, when Jack Crisp is a factor with his aggression, the Pies are a far better team.

3. Mystery midfielder. There’s a player who will probably be third on the coaches award after this weekend. He is tireless in his running, now runs defensively, is pretty good by foot, wins clearances,

has vastly improved his defensive work in past two years, and averages 25 disposals. His name is Luke Shuey and he continues to perform week in week out. He’s got more votes than Dustin Martin,

Dan Hannebery and is level with Luke Parker and Marcus Bontempelli and never gets the kudos. That might be changing.

4. Marcus Bontempelli. The boy wonder for the Dogs was Jake Stringer with four goals from seven touches in the final 40 minutes, but for totality in a game, Bontempelli was the man. He’s the best

20-year-old in the game. What a perfect midfielder’s performance: 25 disposals, 16 contested, eight tackles, nine clearances and two goals. The Herald Sun footy journo with plenty on at 100-1 for the Brownlow Medal can’t stop smiling.

5. Swans defence. Dane Rampe was outstanding, Aliir Aliir even more astonishing considering his refugee background. Yet it was Sydney’s team defence which once again showed why it is the best in the competition.

They concede a goal only 18.8 per cent of the time their opposition go inside 50, which is the best percentage ever recorded by Champion Data in 17 seasons of collecting data. And from defence to attack on Friday night,

the Swans were devastating. They scored 51 of their 98 points from chains starting at half-back, the most Sydney has scored this season and the most Geelong has given up in a game.

6. Lynch and Wright. Players elsewhere in the team are succumbing to injury, but as long as Tom Lynch and Peter Wright are floating around the goal square, Gold Coast is going to scare the bejesus out of many sides.

We know Lynch is a superstar and now the Suns have an emerging star in Wright. He’s lost weight, he’s fit, is a terrific mark and knows how to get on the end of the ball and his 12-mark, five-goal effort on Saturday was super

for a 13-game player. Tell you what, if he played for Carlton and did that at the MCG, Blues fans would be delirious.

7. Jack Watts. Commentators are once again wanting to debate the Naitanui-Watts debate and although I’d still take Nic Nat, the emergence of Watts this season has been startling. As a key forward, he is ranked elite for

ranking points (85), marks (6.7), marks inside 50m (1.8) and goals (2) and above average in disposals (15.9) and score involvements (6.8). Against the Dockers, it was 19 disposals and 10 marks, albeit against ordinary opposition.

8. Luke Hodge. Stick your head out in this game and it can be easily kicked off. In May, Matthew Lloyd suggested Hodgey could be forced into retirement at the end of the season, much to the annoyance of Hodge, and with games

like he played on Thursday night, retirement is not in the discussion. Don’t know if Hodge’s former teammate Shane Crawford was referring to Lloydy, but he was rapt with Hodge’s first game back.

He said on twitter (@SCrawf9): Who said @LHodge15 should retire? #flogs #Legend. Lloyd had the right to pose the question. Hodge clearly answered it with a near best afield against Port Adelaide.

9. Jordan Bannister.Gutsy umpiring to pay free kick against Reece Conca and 50m penalty in a pulsating final quarter. Both were correct. Prior opportunity has been dead for sometime now and all Conca

had to do was try to dispose of the ball. He made no attempt and Bannister had no alternative but to blow the whistle. The outrage from commentators and fans is misdirected. Have a crack at the rules people

and not the umpire for upholding the rules. Knowing the change of rules might help as well.

10. Daniel Talia. So, who’s in the mix for the tall defenders in the AA? Left out Talia at the halfway mark, but don’t think I will make that error again. Would go with Talia, Alex Rance and Josh Gibson as the three talls

at this stage of the season. Talia continues to shut down key forwards (Levi Casboult on Sunday had just one mark and three kicks) and has drastically improved his ability to win the ball. Last year Talia had 233 disposals

in 22 games. This year he has 242 in 15 games and arguably was best afield yesterday.

DISLIKES

1. Anti-Lindsay Thomas umpiring. Thought maybe, but now I believe it: Thomas is umpired differently. Maybe it’s because of his acting in the past, but umpires must still pay free kicks to Thomas when they are there.

In the third quarter, he was ripped away from a contest on the wing, he threw out the arms which he does, he went to ground, and the umpire said play on. It was a free kick for retarding a player and you have to now believe

Thomas doesn’t get a fair run at the ball. North should complain — again.

2. Greater Western Sydney. Reality check for the showtime Giants. After leading by four goals at the first break, perhaps they thought everything would be delivered on a platter for the remainder of the game.

It won’t hurt them too much, for coach Leon Cameron will no doubt remind them that if they don’t compete, this is what can happen. You wonder now if clubs will follow Nathan Buckley’s lead and shut down Heath Shaw,

the premier rebound defender in the competition.

3. Not standing up. Outside of Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood, the Cats didn’t stand up to the heat of Sydney. There are a zillion stats to say where it all broke down, but more often than not, it’s attitude which underpins

performance. Steven Motlop is in a slump, Cameron Guthrie has lost impact, so too Mark Blicavs, the small forwards in Darcy Lang and Lincoln McCarthy couldn’t find space or ball and the pairing of Tom Hawkins and Mitch Clark

failed in their first outing of the season. Funny that Chris Scott has been telling us for some weeks his team has plenty of work to do and no one believed him. No one disagrees now.

4. Richmond. More frustrating than a dislike. Why does it take so long into a season to knuckle down to basic fundamentals of the game such as pressure and tackling? Against the Dogs, and with the enthusiasm of

Oleg Markov, Jason Castagna, Jayden Short, Connor Menadue and Daniel Rioli, the Tigers laid 76 tackles, their most in any game this season, and had a pressure factor of 194 which was a season high. Coach

Damien Hardwick has found the blueprint as he sets about building this team once again: Pressure.

5. Carlton’s offence. My kingdom for a goalkicking forward, might be Brendon Bolton’s decry after yet another day of poor conversion. Fifty-one inside 50s returned just seven goals against Adelaide, one coming in the

second half. That’s scores of 47 and 45 in past two weeks, and only four scores above 90 points this season. Many believe the Bombers might have a tall forward coming via the pre-season draft, but the identity of that

player remains a secret. Maybe the Blues can get in first and make a trade happen if it’s possible.

6. Ruck free kicks. Half the time you don’t know why umpires penalise one ruckman when both seem to be holding and it’s usually at stoppages around the ground and throw-ins. On Sunday, Matthew Kreuzer and Sam Jacobs

grappled at a throw-in in the second quarter. Jacobs received the free kick and kicked the goal to make it 33-24 Crows way. Even in slow-motion it was difficult to see the free kick. The same thing occurred in the first quarter between

Goldstein and Brown yesterday. Of all the decisions paid in football, the ruck adjudications are clearly the most confusing.

7. Brad Hill. He’s a problem player. Been a poor season and if the Hawks are to win this premiership they need his run and carry. Who knows how much the off-field drama of having late-night scraps in nightclubs

has played on his mind, but there’s no doubt Hill needs to pull himself out of this slump. Maybe we’re making excuses for him and the problem is simple: He has to work harder. Just nine disposals against the Power.

Just seven disposals two weeks back against North Melbourne. And only one game (Round 12 v Essendon) with more than 20 disposals. It’s not all about touches, but from afar, it seems like the work rate isn’t what it was.

8. Let’s not harp, but ... Out of contract at season’s end, Lewis Taylor has asked for a $500K contract, which was put in the spotlight during the week. You would’ve hoped he’d have made a better fist of it against the

Suns on Saturday. He had 11 disposals, three contested possessions, one inside 50, four score involvements, zero goals and only 93 metres gained. Maybe the spotlight got to him. Or maybe he’s not worth $500K.

9. Rodney Eade’s palms. He can bang the desk with the best of coaches and they would’ve got a work out on Saturday, not in anger but in disappointment. Firstly, heart and soul midfielder Michael Rischitelli went down

with an ACL tear and then Gary Ablett rocked his shoulder. Rischitelli is out for 10 months, but the news on Ablett is way better. He might not need an op and could strap it to play. Doc Larkins says, however, says if Ablett

has “reinjured the stabilising ligaments’’, the worst case would see him miss 4-6 months.

10. Etihad Stadium. Starting to look like Death Valley on the interchange side of the ground. Any danger we can get some replacement turf laid?

NSW Premier Mike Baird has made the dramatic decision to increase Sydneys controversial lock out laws for tonight only after Collingwoodswin against the Giants.

Baird announced this afternoon that all pubs, bars, nightclubs, discos, and hot spots will not allow anyone in after 8:30pm, in a bid to limit any Collingwood ferals running amok in the glamour city.

I realise that this decision may annoy the local residents, but events like today need drastic action, Baird announced this afternoon.

There may not have been a lot of Collingwood supporters make the trip up to Sydney for this match, but we have seen in the past that they dont need a large number to cause irreversible damage to areas of citys, just look at Broadmeadows in Melbourne.

http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au/sport/afl/opinion-gfp/2016/5/mike-baird-increases-sydneys-lock-out-laws-after-pies-win/

Baird must be an old man, northing gets going clubbing wise till close to midnight what a laugh 8.30 lock out, wouldn't be anyone there let alone open, and he banned greyhound racing to is that right?

7. Jack Watts. Commentators are once again wanting to debate the Naitanui-Watts debate and although I’d still take Nic Nat, the emergence of Watts this season has been startling. As a key forward, he is ranked elite for

ranking points (85), marks (6.7), marks inside 50m (1.8) and goals (2) and above average in disposals (15.9) and score involvements (6.8). Against the Dockers, it was 19 disposals and 10 marks, albeit against ordinary opposition.

When you play in one of the worst teams ever your hardly going to get the ball, i saw enough of him to know he was a talent, the very fact the Dees now have a multi pronged attack with a more than a handy running brigade where that ball can get delivered the guy was going to shine like the red sun of the Japanese flag, he scored 120 in fantasy this weekend and has been averaging 85 per week with the odd 100, thats better than a lot of midfielders.

He is more hunsum with out the beard hope all the guys have a shave for next season.

• Like 1

burp.gif Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou.

Changed my North tip at the eleventh hour when Dal santo was ruled out.

Don't worry about North,old cagey Brad Scott has 7 of his best out and still continues to lose by only 5 goals to top 8 sides.

Beware come the business end of the season.thumbsup.gif

The Tigers performance against the Doggies was inspired and they could cause more tipping headaches for the remaining rounds.

Looking forward to the Swans v Hawks game this week.

• Like 2

The Results of FANTASY were dreams are made of, yep after much soul searching in Dee land and major reshuffle in the quite part of the season the REIGNING premiers made a statement today by convincingly trouncing RIP it was over by half time, he did put up some resistance and did mange to hold me still a 300 point win is a good win and since I'm the premier I'm allowed to glot until GF day, and i believe all of next season as well as i doubt JoBlow or Grant will be able to beat the trio of the TRADERS.

Chooks was totally outclassed getting a thumping....might want to consider changing gurneys son,

FJ well the man....who does amazing things former tipping winner who was once a hero managed ot fall over the line against Leon who hardly posts in here.

And our only hero who stands for TV holding the banner for us all was beaten buy Swans Heezs, Grant will be disappointed good show strong come back but to far behind at half time to stumble at less 93 points.

Well the AFL up to its old tricks again ladder was not accurate when reporting at half time Grant at 4th....JO boss moves to 6th...i like this guy, obviously single has the time to put into the team, i move to 10th 2 games out god dam disgrace bout hey i could shape the top 8, i should be 4 clear of old boy Chooks but I'm not, think I've won 5 not 4....ummm followed closely by RIP FJ and Leon...

Yup.. Good onya Alex... Time for a spell mate... Too many frothies for you early in the morning... The ladder runs "live" and for most of it I was 5th but as the results fell my way I bounced back to fourth... No trickery there old mate... Just what's between your ears...

The Traders are beatable and I'll likely have first crack at them in the first qualifying final next week and with a few adjustments rolling in some big guns to sure up the backline could see an upset...

• Like 1

Yup.. Good onya Alex... Time for a spell mate... Too many frothies for you early in the morning... The ladder runs "live" and for most of it I was 5th but as the results fell my way I bounced back to fourth... No trickery there old mate... Just what's between your ears...

The Traders are beatable and I'll likely have first crack at them in the first qualifying final next week and with a few adjustments rolling in some big guns to sure up the backline could see an upset...

Actually I'm a social drinker and i also now when to stop, AFL website has been known to play tricks especially in tipping were a number of the brothers have voiced some concern, perhaps it was you with to much frothy as you call it and missed the show mate old bean when a few of us were ranting about it, i wrote that at lunch time Melbourne time not early hours of the morning, you wanna get the glass cleaner out and get you crystal ball cleaned and while your at it get your halo dry cleaned as well.

Actually I'm a social drinker and i also now when to stop, AFL website has been known to play tricks especially in tipping were a number of the brothers have voiced some concern, perhaps it was you with to much frothy as you call it and missed the show mate old bean when a few of us were ranting about it, i wrote that at lunch time Melbourne time not early hours of the morning, you wanna get the glass cleaner out and get you crystal ball cleaned and while your at it get your halo dry cleaned as well.

No halo's here me old china and apologies Alex, it must be the way your words are typed that make you appear as if you're on the sauce every other hour because according to the Thai Visa clock you wrote the quoted part at 9pm thai time which is midnight Melbourne and the other about 3pm Melbourne time (apologise though, didn't realise Melbourne's lunchtime started so late) and with one game to play (at the time), it would hardly be considered "half time"... but again, you're a social drinker who knows when to stop...

The AFL's website are not without fault and yes I was there when we were having a moan about it, I probably even had a bit to say about it as well. That being said though, the Fantasy site and the "live ladder" is probably one of the more accurate features and again, no trickery or sorcery or slights of hand.

• Like 1

burp.gif Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou.

Changed my North tip at the eleventh hour when Dal santo was ruled out.

Don't worry about North,old cagey Brad Scott has 7 of his best out and still continues to lose by only 5 goals to top 8 sides.

Beware come the business end of the season.thumbsup.gif

The Tigers performance against the Doggies was inspired and they could cause more tipping headaches for the remaining rounds.

Looking forward to the Swans v Hawks game this week.

Yep, me as well.

Could be a few upsets again this round.

Freo a sneaky at home against Geelong?

Port to keep their slim finals hops alive by beating North?

Gold Cost are playing decent footy and could be a smokey against the Bulldogs.

Ade should beat Collingwood who are in good nick. If they do, Adelaide will be top 2.

Hopefully WC can get a rare win Melbourne against Carlton and as BookMan has said,

a huge game between the Saints and Demons.

Some dicey games coming up this week... and i am looking forward to you tipping Freo against the Cats KhunWill.

The real smokey this week for me could be Gold Coast v Doggies. I think Ablett being injured actually helps them at this stage...Just depends who else is available. The game is being played in Cairns, which also throws up a wobbly for both teams

Port V Norf. Two teams Tipsters love to hate. I can't decide for that one yet.

Adel and Collingwood. The Pies will like their chances and Adelaide is due for a loss...could be a surprise here.

Melbourne v St Kilda... Not sure which St Kilda is going to turn up for this game... I think I favor Melbourne but Saints have shown some brilliant play this year. Good to see Tim Membrey propping up the Saints at the moment. Poor guy couldn't get a game at Sydney but now he is the best the Saints have. Well done Tim.

West Coast should beat Carlton by 50.

You both have not mentioned Thursdays game. Bookies have Swans at 1.68 and WCE 2.20

The only other close game according to the odds is St Kilda 1.96 V Melbourne 1.85

Good luck for Thursday and the other 8 games

No halo's here me old china and apologies Alex, it must be the way your words are typed that make you appear as if you're on the sauce every other hour because according to the Thai Visa clock you wrote the quoted part at 9pm thai time which is midnight Melbourne and the other about 3pm Melbourne time (apologise though, didn't realise Melbourne's lunchtime started so late) and with one game to play (at the time), it would hardly be considered "half time"... but again, you're a social drinker who knows when to stop...

The AFL's website are not without fault and yes I was there when we were having a moan about it, I probably even had a bit to say about it as well. That being said though, the Fantasy site and the "live ladder" is probably one of the more accurate features and again, no trickery or sorcery or slights of hand.

Mate you like to take every opportunity to have a dig at me so in future I will leave you out of the fantasy commentary, I avoid your posts about most things now it will be totally, I will not mention you at all and be mature enough to do like wise, you can take the baton next year on fantasy as I won't play because your to anal for my liking and I'm not happy about playing blow ins, I will take the cup I won last year and be happy.