Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Well here we are march 9th less than 2 weeks to the start of the AFL season, and not before time, but this year its more important than ever.....CoronaVirus causing havoc around the world, stock markets crashing left right and centre is this the begging to the end? yes well we never did learn the lessons of the rampant 80's the era of the middle classes who drive the economy getting screwed to the ground and were still there , nailed to the cross like Jesus Christ and Rod Grinter....( I can never forgive or forget the first trial by video, a blight on the landscape of Victorian Football....) Bobby Hawks a powerful visionary and charismatic human helped seal the fate of the working classes and middle classes in AU, Keating too....not to long after I switch to being a Lib.....but hey they had a plan even if it pretty much destroyed the fabric of Australia, but plans or theory often looking good in reality dont match the expectations.....

Central banks dropping interest rates so low especially here in AU we have NOTHING left to pull us out of the heading south J curve were in, money so cheap most are up to there eye balls in debt...what does that spell?......gees what got me going this morning? Reading CNN and its my now go to website when I wake.....https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/07/asia/japan-tokyo-fire-raids-operation-meetinghouse-intl-hnk/index.html you should read this, with friends like this who needs an enemy's....back in world war2 such devastation, and on the public...no strategic value at all.....I a long time ago thought that the world would not destroy itself by war in fact the  David Bowie move "The Man Who Fell To Earth" showed us how we would do it to ourselves....so is it coming soon to a channel near you? When you get 2 women charged with affray over toilet rolls you know were sinking low and fast, there is a vid out of 3 women fighting in a Sydney Wollies as one woman loading up her cart with precious gold that are Toilet Rolls...the new currency....the second saying I only want one pack....and a brawl did start...In court sometime this week, WILL get a slap on the wrist and made to look stupid or WILL they? all over the tv and hopefully WILL get people to see reason....

Aussie guy pulls up at a Macdonalds drive through window has ordered and is about to pay for his purchase with left hand reaches out and grabs a toilet roll....rolls off about a meter of toilet paper and hands it to the cashier who accepts willingly....this joke vid is circulating in FB messenger, we have almost come to this....Even my old TFG told me she heard about the run on toilet paper here...and shes in Rangoon like you know....they have tv's and news channels there? Maybe shes reading Apple News on her new purple iPhone...No chance, smart she is they only thing she would pick up to read is a fashion magazine its like honey to a bee, well the hospital she works for wouldnt have rank and file ordinary people as customers in it no sir....maybe the only hospital in Rangoon or even all of Maynamar, think it would be reserved for the junta and there families and friends...like they would have real medicine and real doctors .....you know where im going with this.....so some general must have told her....

We need football back to take our mind of the depression of our minds thats about to begin......Dee's women's team kick a big score second week in a row....loosing to the lowly Saints got there mojo working....and I have no idea what a mojo is...seems to pop up in blues songs a lot.... and it was too the Eagles in Melbourne...a 9 goal pasting.....a taste of things to come? While the other Eagles go down by a point to Freo in Perth a sign is on the wall...paying overs for a player WILL <deleted> many in the club off.....

https://www.afl.com.au/news/381501/listen-goodwin-s-spiritual-journey-after-season-in-hell The spiritual journey of Simon Goodwin....I read it no way WILL I watch it...after loosing the plot he had to do something I could have told him to read  "Dont Sweat the Small Stuff" but thats only a part of it, and no I never read that book, my next door neighbour did when his female best friend brassed him off and like so many of them self help books there pretty much based on Buddhist practices, me I went straight to the source I read about 10 Buddhist books one after the other and mainly by the Dali Lama back in the 90's and early 2000's yes took me a while for it to sink in, It can take a while for my brain to absorb, BUT you know the Dali Lama uses hard words a lot, and im just a humble tradie... To be a Demon supporter and ex 20 year veteran member the mind gets beaten up a lot, I too need to seek out my spiritual side ooommmm.....I did go to a few Buddhist temples here in Melbourne and around that time decided I wanted to go to a Buddhist country to see how they operated, so about 16 ys ago I did venture forth with ex Chinese GF in tow to vist Thailand...now the moral of this story is to do the planning yourself, I gave Christina a criteria which she needed to fill.......beach, sailing, ( use to sail in them days) and a few other things I forget now....and she came back with Pattaya....can you believe? The first thing I did was and our hotel was double entry the rear was on the Beach road was go to the beach and look for sailing boats but all I seen were a bunch of rusty things out there...first time I went to the beach I cut my foot....lucky she was a nurse....so it was the pool....and that was full of bar girls....even I didnt know much about what went on there it was pretty self explanatory what was going on...all these mid 40s and + men with like babies hanging around the pool....so that was it just one swim...I did find it distasteful then I since project the Buddhist view and look into the middle distance and pretty much dont sweat the small stuff anymore....

https://www.afl.com.au/news/381474/twenty-years-ago-today-a-stadium-was-born It was 20 years ago today Sargent Pepper taught the band to play, and the dome did become a reality, my opinion of the dome is .......under sufferance I would go....for some reason i prefer to watch Victory play there than the Demons...and I do not know why, seen a number of Victory games there normally big games and in evenings of a Saturday night, haven't seen the beloved Dee's play there in years in fact I haven't been to a live Dee game in years and never will again, AFL push you to stay home and eat ur 40n20 in the living room, I laugh every time i see a game with a deserted stadium...and I say you deserve it...so many more patrons would be there if they didnt try and flog your once free members area as reserved seating, front office did contact me a few times trying to entice me back baaaaa said i.....you made your bed you can lay in it.....

Optus Dome Telstra Dome now Marvel Stadium I think its called is not fit for older folks....way to high up and of course they charge you more to sit where you dont need bicnoculors, never mind I wont even go there to watch Victory anymore much prefer AAMI Stadium to watch soccer and even I may have been to my last game there as well now....as old age sets in that recline leather lounge is a new attraction all of its own or the new comfy office chair I bought if I watch on the pc....Victory and its offical are done and dusted, could be there worst ever season and there got some good players in the squad currently 9th out of 11 teams Sydney stitched them up good and proper on Saturday night 4-1 lucky I was out and didnt need to deal with the second half onslaught.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Well here we are march 9th less than 2 weeks to the start of the AFL season, and not before time, but this year its more important than ever.....CoronaVirus causing havoc around the world, stock markets crashing left right and centre is this the begging to the end? yes well we never did learn the lessons of the rampant 80's the era of the middle classes who drive the economy getting screwed to the ground and were still there , nailed to the cross like Jesus Christ and Rod Grinter....( I can never forgive or forget the first trial by video, a blight on the landscape of Victorian Football....) Bobby Hawks a powerful visionary and charismatic human helped seal the fate of the working classes and middle classes in AU, Keating too....not to long after I switch to being a Lib.....but hey they had a plan even if it pretty much destroyed the fabric of Australia, but plans or theory often looking good in reality dont match the expectations.....

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

And im still dirty on it....what now 30 ys ago? I was right there members wing at Western oval not more than 10 yards away...I seen it all....had crystal clear vision in them days...in fact so good was my long sightedness I use to blow people away seeing street names from like forever away when driving...

The umps didnt even think it was reportable....it was politically motivated, trail by video, like Jesus Rod was up against it, when played in slow motion everything looks bad...im telling you Rod had committed to the tackle was mid air when that runt Wallace ducked....Karma came back to deny Wallace the Sydney gig so I rest my case....

Edited by AlexRRR

43 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

And im still dirty on it....what now 30 ys ago? I was right there members wing at Western oval not more than 10 yards away...I seen it all....had crystal clear vision in them days...in fact so good was my long sightedness I use to blow people away seeing street names from like forever away when driving...

The umps didnt even think it was reportable....it was politically motivated, trail by video, like Jesus Rod was up against it, when played in slow motion everything looks bad...im telling you Rod had committed to the tackle was mid air when that runt Wallace ducked....Karma came back to deny Wallace the Sydney gig so I rest my case....

Karma, what did Wallace do wrong?

That was brutal, even for that era.

Grinter was a thug.

AFL great Terry Wallace has revealed he thought he had bitten off his tongue after the vicious 1988 clash with Melbourne’s Rod Grinter.

Wallace needed 80 stitches and surgery to fix a “fractured mandible” and “disintegrated” bottom lip.

“He dislodged my top two teeth, they were knocked out at the time, fractured the mandible ... I actually thought I’d bitten off my tongue because that (mandible) piece was flat on my tongue, disintegrated my bottom lip,” Wallace told Mike Sheahan for Tuesday’s episode of Fox Footy’s Open Mike.

“I had to have reconstructive surgery to the face which meant plates put in, I had about 80 stitches (inside and out), had to have plastic surgery to reconstruct my bottom lip at the time and then probably about two months after that I started suffering with vertigo and so I used to have Stemetil injections to play out the rest of my career so it had a pretty big impact at the time.”

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Karma, what did Wallace do wrong?

That was brutal, even for that era.

Grinter was a thug.

AFL great Terry Wallace has revealed he thought he had bitten off his tongue after the vicious 1988 clash with Melbourne’s Rod Grinter.

Wallace needed 80 stitches and surgery to fix a “fractured mandible” and “disintegrated” bottom lip.

“He dislodged my top two teeth, they were knocked out at the time, fractured the mandible ... I actually thought I’d bitten off my tongue because that (mandible) piece was flat on my tongue, disintegrated my bottom lip,” Wallace told Mike Sheahan for Tuesday’s episode of Fox Footy’s Open Mike.

“I had to have reconstructive surgery to the face which meant plates put in, I had about 80 stitches (inside and out), had to have plastic surgery to reconstruct my bottom lip at the time and then probably about two months after that I started suffering with vertigo and so I used to have Stemetil injections to play out the rest of my career so it had a pretty big impact at the time.”

Your getting the press version....The Wallace version, and yes horrible injuries happen....

Wallace would never had said he was a ducker...

I know he was a DUCKER....

I seen countless Hawk games at princess park...I loved the Hawks then almost as much as the Dee's....and I seen Wallace play plenty of times....He was a DUCKER...(for those that dont know Wallace spent most of his former years with the Hawks playing in the centre)

Wallace was closet to me...10 yards away directly in front and I had a clear vision of the entire episode.....coming out from the pack was Grinter launched at him as in other words had taken off like a plane...a dive if you WILL...I can still see it in my mind...the vid cameras were a different angle to me im exactly on the wing,  Rod with outstretched arms comes flying over the twerp spots him and DUCKS....I see both Wallace and Grinter no one was between my vision....I mean hes a short guy anyway but gees to duck makes you even shorter....They hit and of course he is stunned and badly...I dont even recall a free kick being given but it might have for over the shoulder...

THE UMPIRES DID NOT REPORT IT....DID NOT SEE A REPORT IN IT the umpire was standing around well within my vision to the left and behind or to the northern end side, he was close id say within 10 to 15 yards, BOTH umps didnt think it was reportable....

I live in Melbourne....well with the bad injury suffered the press got on the case...trail by VID..took a couple of days but with relentless press the VFL had a look at it....and of course when you slow it right down it looks way worse...

The VFL nor the umps thought it reportable for the first few days after the Saturday game it was the PRESS pursuit that crucified Rod Grinter who along with JC became a martyr, I was here and I had to put up with this <deleted>.....And im still bleeding over it....that ban for Grinter shortened his career and was a marked man from then on...

Karma....Wallace's Karma is about playing it up when he didnt take any responsibility for his part in the tackle....the runt should have fobbed it off as part of the game like just about everyone else .....And in that day and age the wronged player would go to the tribunal and either have amnesia or play it down but not WALLACE...

Wasnt too long after that the VFL began looking at DUCKERS, by that time he had retired, DUCKING was discouraged....... The VFL openly discouraged ducking when you had the ball.......... were today that part of the game we hardly ever see....

Wallace was lined up to take the coaching gig at the Swans but with Roos doing a good job that was that...and im sure a few Melbourne clubs didnt want him around anyway, he Wallace did have to much of an opinion especially in them days...even I disliked him over this I did like his coaching and what he did for the Dogs, I did think he would make a great coach he was that sort off player....the Ron Barassi type but no way as good....

3 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Karma....Wallace's Karma is about playing it up when he didnt take any responsibility for his part in the tackle....the runt should have fobbed it off as part of the game like just about everyone else .....And in that day and age the wronged player would go to the tribunal and either have amnesia or play it down but not WALLACE...

Wasnt too long after that the VFL began looking at DUCKERS, by that time he had retired, DUCKING was discouraged....... The VFL openly discouraged ducking when you had the ball.......... were today that part of the game we hardly ever see....

Wallace was lined up to take the coaching gig at the Swans but with Roos doing a good job that was that...and im sure a few Melbourne clubs didnt want him around anyway, he Wallace did have to much of an opinion especially in them days...even I disliked him over this I did like his coaching and what he did for the Dogs, I did think he would make a great coach he was that sort off player....the Ron Barassi type but no way as good....

Wallace didn't play it up at all.

He actually played the next week.

I guess 80 stitches and surgery was not enough for you.

Grinter was suspended for 31 weeks but just unlucky I guess.

"Responsibility for his part in the tackle"?

It wasn't a tackle, It was a swinging arm to the head.

No one spoils like that.

If you think Wallace ducked in that incident you need to go to Specsavers.

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Wallace didn't play it up at all.

He actually played the next week.

I guess 80 stitches and surgery was not enough for you.

Grinter was suspended for 31 weeks but just unlucky I guess.

"Responsibility for his part in the tackle"?

It wasn't a tackle, It was a swinging arm to the head.

No one spoils like that.

If you think Wallace ducked in that incident you need to go to Specsavers.

Look fella i was there, right in front, the 2 feild umps were close by and lets not forget the boundry ump as well......he was charged after the press went crazy, in the end when you watch the video 50 times in slow motion your going to find something, and lets not forget Wallace ducked into the tackle these days you dont get a free for that, anddddddddd not long after that incident the VFL went on to stamp out ducking.....

Well if he played the week after it couldnt have hurt to much i mean he wasnt even concused then, im pretty sure his reputation, Grinters, had been building so it was pretty easy to get a conviction if Rod was guilty of anything then it would have been a head high tackle which is not a reportable offence, the injury to Wallace occured becasue he ducked and turned his head towards a flying Grinter...i seen it all....at least 2 umps seen it all.....

The Bulldog members as i was right in front of there main stand did yelp quite a bit but not to a degree where the Western Oval just sunk into a big hole....

If someone needed 6 weeks off it was that looney Rythes Jones did i see him cut-off heads at the G one day? yes i did...and all he got was 1 week off...he was serioulsy out there to hurt, and that Bomber Andrews.....another dirty player...Bobbie Walls....theres a few who got away with murder......

5 hours ago, ozzydom said:

Anybody else having problems with  Watchafl and the kangas /swans game ?

Just saw the highlights????

I'm worried about my internet this season.

Since they put a 5G modem connected to the old one my service for streaming has been cr-p.That's TOT fibre. 

18 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Since they put a 5G modem connected to the old one my service for streaming has been cr-p.That's TOT fibre. 

You'll need to get that sorted out mate.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I didn't see any of the game unfortunately.  I read Shaw has the troops well organised down there for you guys.

What was the game like?

21 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Look fella i was there, right in front, the 2 feild umps were close by and lets not forget the boundry ump as well......he was charged after the press went crazy, in the end when you watch the video 50 times in slow motion your going to find something, and lets not forget Wallace ducked into the tackle these days you dont get a free for that, anddddddddd not long after that incident the VFL went on to stamp out ducking.....

Well if he played the week after it couldnt have hurt to much i mean he wasnt even concused then, im pretty sure his reputation, Grinters, had been building so it was pretty easy to get a conviction if Rod was guilty of anything then it would have been a head high tackle which is not a reportable offence, the injury to Wallace occured becasue he ducked and turned his head towards a flying Grinter...i seen it all....at least 2 umps seen it all.....

The Bulldog members as i was right in front of there main stand did yelp quite a bit but not to a degree where the Western Oval just sunk into a big hole....

If someone needed 6 weeks off it was that looney Rythes Jones did i see him cut-off heads at the G one day? yes i did...and all he got was 1 week off...he was serioulsy out there to hurt, and that Bomber Andrews.....another dirty player...Bobbie Walls....theres a few who got away with murder......

Did they even have concussion testing back then? Its only been the last half a dozen years its been treated seriously.
Watching that video i cant see how you could be putting any of the responsibility back on Wallace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

I didn't see any of the game unfortunately.  I read Shaw has the troops well organised down there for you guys.

What was the game like?

Only saw 6 minutes of highlights,could have gone either way.

Played in Tassie favoured us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

Did they even have concussion testing back then? Its only been the last half a dozen years its been treated seriously.
Watching that video i cant see how you could be putting any of the responsibility back on Wallace. 

Couldnt have been to bad hey to front up the following week with his mouth full of nylon, like i said 3 out for 4 field umps didnt see anything wrong......

Well you woudnt have noticed the duck would you?

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Couldnt have been to bad hey to front up the following week with his mouth full of nylon, like i said 3 out for 4 field umps didnt see anything wrong......

Are you proposing it was meant to be a gutbuster????

Anyway concentrate on your tips and fantasy Alex.

I'm behind the 8 ball on fantasy atm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Have you considered that what you believe you saw was he was ducking to avoid the arm? 

In crime cases it is considered by experts that witness testimony is the most unreliable. The mind convinces itself it sees something and believes it as, whether it actually has ot not.

Do you consider that's a possibility here?

• Like 1

Here is Rod Grinter for his self-propaganda session on Open Mike back in 2016, 30 years after his onfield assault of Wallace

Grinter had 10 reports with 31 games suspended.

Grinter talks about the Wallace incident 4 minutes into the video. He claims he had a bad habit of round arm tackles/spoils, in this case he says he missed ball by a whisker and hit Terry in the mouth. He also claims that it was trial by video that saw him get 6 weeks and the fact the video angle was so bad

Grinter calls his tackle reckless and vicious, though he denies he knew Terry was there.

This is an odd thing to say in itself as Grinter was coming from behind Wallace, so his failure to notice a 90 kilo 6 foot player in front of him seems strange

Another important aspect here, in the case against Wallace ducking into the tackle is that Wallace is in the air when he is coathangered.

Is it possible for Wallace to have ducked into a straightarm tackle whilst he is in the air, feet off the ground?

I will let TVF detectives investigate further for themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_2HbctH3gk&list=PLbfT0CgL4_DLDAhCyJgI1HT9MyuwCVOTU&index=72

U&index=72

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

In Alex's defence the ball was there in the swinging motion before Wallace got hit.????

I guess you could say backmen were more known to be stodgy than skilled in those days.

That's a bit harsh on your boy Micky Martyn FJ.

Don't think I've seen a more silkier smoother mover than Micky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Will27 said:

That's a bit harsh on your boy Micky Martyn FJ.

Don't think I've seen a more silkier smoother mover than Micky.

My favourite was Stan Nowotny(spelling) at Swan Districts in the WAFL.

Ronnie Boucher was another with arkwardness.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

My favourite was Stan Nowotny(spelling) at Swan Districts in the WAFL.

Ronnie Boucher was another with arkwardness.

Yes, our Vic friends probably wouldn't have heard much of Boucher and Basil Campbell.

Both were fearsome.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1