Leaving 800K in a Thai Bank Account - Pros/Cons/Value to you

57 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I think this is how most feel, that money is supposed to be for living costs, its now no more than a visa bond. I get over 7% in dividend payments in UK, thats a lot to loose over a one year period if its tied up here.

Would love to know which assets you're in that get you over 7% at a risk level you're comfortable with 

I'm into LLY which I bought at an average strike price of around 33p so is currently giving me a yield on my initial investment of around 10%, but in reality the yield on current net value is less than 5% - How are you measuring yours?

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

A not insignificant con with the 800k method as far as I am concerned is with banking security. OK, it is possible to take precautions against fraudulent ATM withdrawals which can negatively affect compliance with seasoning requirements for a retirement extension, through depositing the 800k in an account which doesn’t have a card linked to it. However it seems to me that there are no preventative measures which can possibly be taken by account holders to guard against the actions of dishonest bank employees, as per the following incident reported by the Nation last October:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357034

It is all very well that the 3 victims in question got their missing money back. But there were almost certainly timing issues involved with this – meaning that, had these victims been retirees, they might well have still fallen foul of the seasoning requirements for their next retirement extensions (and, theoretically, also existing extensions under the new 400k rule), through absolutely no fault of their own.

• Like 2

My guess is that going forward immigration will look dimly upon most monthly income transfer methods that are not standard government/social security backed up by proof “pension”...

As others have said the 800k in the bank ends a lot of immigration uncertainty... I also wouldn’t put it past a Big Joke 2 mandating that the 800k be increased... Having the 800k in place now might put you in a grandfathered position... 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, KittenKong said:

Same.

I am at about 50/50 for investments/savings and I expect to keep it that way forever now.

Not easy to get 7% on a sustainable basis without putting capital at risk. I would be more inclined to compare with the average FTSE100 return which is nearer to 4%. Then compare that with the 2.5% I get for my retirement deposit here and the difference is much smaller.

But the main issue for me is that the 800kB deposit is the only easy and practical way that I can get a retirement visa here. I have no regular retirement income and also I really dont want to fart around with costly embassy declarations or documented monthly transfers etc. Deposit the 800kB and forget about it seems simplest to me.

I feel the same way.

Figuring one loses 1.5% on the 800k THB means losing $378.50 USD/year.

So (at least for now) I am looking at that as part of the annual cost of living in Thailand.

$378.50 USD is a lot of foot massages.

Of course I'd prefer if the cost was zero.

But it seems the option with the least stress and hassle.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:21 PM, KittenKong said:

Then compare that with the 2.5% I get for my retirement deposit here and the difference is much smaller.

Is the 2.5% via a Fixed Deposit 2 year account?

Which bank are you using?

For a normal (withdraw at any time with no penalty) non-fixed deposit Savings and/or Checking account in the US, 2.50% is the best price offered currently.

And that's only available at a few banks.

Edited by JimmyJ

3 hours ago, peter14 said:

I have 2 million THB on ABA account in Cambodia. 6.75%  that 130000 thb per year..... thai bank LOL 

1. What is an ABA account?

2. At what bank in Cambodia do you have your ABA account?

3. Is the account really in Thai Baht (THB), ie a foreign currency account?

4. Are you living in Thailand on one-year retirement extensions?

Manyof the don’t trust Thai banks crowd crisply have PLENTY of funds but are very very stingy. Dress in rags, drink self bought beer at mall food courts, cheap food only, mostly cooked on a hot plate. “Don’t like air-conditioning” Perhaps they grew up poor and have a mental problem?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It is ridiculous that the 800k cannot be used. (except 50% for a few months). The whole original point of it was to show that you had enough money to live in Thailand for the next year.

@MeePeeMai Many farangs living in Thailand are elderly retirees and it is a fact that many die in Thailand. I'm sure the authorities will have thought about this when setting this rule. For the many who have not made a will in Thailand, where does that 800k go?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

@MeePeeMai Many farangs living in Thailand are elderly retirees and it is a fact that many die in Thailand. I'm sure the authorities will have thought about this when setting this rule. For the many who have not made a will in Thailand, where does that 800k go?

I don't know for sure (would like to though) but I believe that even with a will, there is a delay in your spouse gaining access to the funds in your account and this could easily be avoided by allowing us to leave our money in either a joint account or designate an account beneficiary.

A will is a must here and I plan on leaving my wife my P.I.N and ATM card with both written (and recorded video) instructions to take the money out of my account as soon as I die.  Hopefully she will be protected from prosecution that way for removal of my funds immediately after my death.  I don't know whether or not this is acceptable but I am hoping (for her sake) it will work.

It is ridiculous that the 800k cannot be used. (except 50% for a few months). The whole original point of it was to show that you had enough money to live in Thailand for the next year.

[mention=306267]MeePeeMai[/mention] Many farangs living in Thailand are elderly retirees and it is a fact that many die in Thailand. I'm sure the authorities will have thought about this when setting this rule. For the many who have not made a will in Thailand, where does that 800k go?

Are you serious? File a will at the Amphoe. Every country has probate and the “authorities” or bank staff can’t just go around filching dead foreigners bank deposits!

12 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Extremely expensive watches... oops, consolidated revenue.