Restaurant At Special Express To Bkk ?

StefanH

having booked the Special Express to BKK at 17:50, I want to be sure, that they serve food and cold beer :o

Did somebody the trip recently ?

Thank You

Yes there's dining service on the train, both at your seat (1st and 2nd class only) or in the dining car. If you're on a tight budget, bring your own as both food and drink are more costly on the train than at at your average Thai restaurant (and the food is not that great). If you get there by 5pm you can buy the excellent kai yaang joy (Joy Fried Chicken), also known locally as kai yaang rot fai (train fried chicken) at the VW bus vendor near the station, and som-tam at the place next door.

The dining car on this train stops serving food around 10pm and transforms itself into a disco-on-rails, complete with DJ and flashing lights. Beer served all night.

having booked the Special Express to BKK at 17:50, I want to be sure, that they serve food and cold beer :o

Did somebody the trip recently ?

Thank You

Yes there's dining service on the train, both at your seat (1st and 2nd class only) or in the dining car. If you're on a tight budget, bring your own as both food and drink are more costly on the train than at at your average Thai restaurant (and the food is not that great). If you get there by 5pm you can buy the excellent kai yaang joy (Joy Fried Chicken), also known locally as kai yaang rot fai (train fried chicken) at the VW bus vendor near the station, and som-tam at the place next door.

The dining car on this train stops serving food around 10pm and transforms itself into a disco-on-rails, complete with DJ and flashing lights. Beer served all night.

Great News - Thanks

:D

What? :D

You mean the boys in brown don't come round with their whistles and wee-wee cups and make sure the place is closed and emptied by 1am. :o

What is Thailand coming to? :D

[

Are you sure about this? I must have done this journey 20 times and have never known them to serve drinks all night. they normally close the "Disco Carriage" around 11, so that drunks do not disturb those wishing to sleep.

Then all the staff get their heads down.

This is of course just my experience and could well be that I was just on quiet trains.

The staff do not get paid a salary..just a percentage of what is spent by the travellers ..so I could understand why they would want to stay open all night...its just that I have never known it and hae always been kicked out around 11 ish !

[

Are you sure about this? I must have done this journey 20 times and have never known them to serve drinks all night. they normally close the "Disco Carriage" around 11, so that drunks do not disturb those wishing to sleep.

This is of course just my experience and could well be that I was just on quiet trains.

The staff do not get paid a salary..just a percentage of what is spent by the travellers ..so I could understand why they would want to stay open all night...its just that I have never known it and hae always been kicked out around 11 ish !

I have only once known the beer car stay open late and that night there was a raging party going on mainly amoung the Thai travellers. Most times by the time they turn us out I am ready for my bed!

[

I have only once known the beer car stay open late and that night there was a raging party going on mainly amoung the Thai travellers. Most times by the time they turn us out I am ready for my bed!

The last time I caught the sleeper, the woman who sells the beer and food was practically insisting on joining me in my bunk - I virtually had to fight her off. The Thai guy opposite was killing himself trying not to laugh.

[

The last time I caught the sleeper, the woman who sells the beer and food was practically insisting on joining me in my bunk - I virtually had to fight her off. The Thai guy opposite was killing himself trying not to laugh.

And.......did She :o

[

And.......did She :o

She wasnt that nice and I wasn't that drunk. Plus I was worried about the GF meeting me at the station armed with her fingerprinting kit.....