Anyone has experience build new home in Thailand but still living abroad during the construction time ?

I plan to visit 3-4 times during the construction ? Is that possible ? I have young kid in school and busy with working here so can't stay in Thailand for more than 2 weeks at a time. Anyone has that experience similar like this ? how did you handle to make sure the building is still smooth or less chaos as much as possible.

I have family there lives close by where going to build the new home, but they are busy with their lives as well. Try to not bother them much ????

Thank you very much.

AJ

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

What I didn't understand was that his wife seemed to be aware of it. They are legally married with 2 kids of their own. Her family are not exactly poor, have land...a decent home etc. I just don't know what purpose it serves for the girl to rip off her own immediate family (husband and kids). Any money the family extracated from the farang was probably pi$$ed up the wall on grog and lottery or cards. I think it just comes down to the fact that they can't help themselves. Thais are opportunists. Never give them an opportunity. 

When I was trying to buy a house for my wife she upped the sale price by 500,000k, to be split equally between her and the seller. 

Message to OP, don't do it and read this .........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You will probably get a lot of negative comments here but I have seen it go pear shaped here twice with two of my friends. Not only design, construction and quality problems but everyone had their fingers in the cookie jar, from the father in law (overseeing construction) down. Problem is even if you trust your wife and you were sure she wasn't benefitting from it her first loyalty will always be to her family and unless she is a particularly strong girl with your interests first she will more than likely keep mum even if she knows you are being stung.

A friend of mine did the same thing village I was living in. Apart from the huge mistakes that were made he was ripped off from the very start. First of all he paid 4 times more than what the landfill actually cost. Then the father insisted the builder needed 200k up front to get started. Phone call a month later from my friend to ask why the build still hadn't started. Builder had disappeared, need more money for new builder. Just got worse from there.

What I didn't understand was that his wife seemed to be aware of it. They are legally married with 2 kids of their own. Her family are not exactly poor, have land...a decent home etc. I just don't know what purpose it serves for the girl to rip off her own immediate family (husband and kids). Any money the family extracated from the farang was probably pi$$ed up the wall on grog and lottery or cards. I think it just comes down to the fact that they can't help themselves. Thais are opportunists. Never give them an opportunity. 

Another one - a buddy tried it, paid a retired Thai engineer who spoke perfect English to be on site at least  a few hours every day with authority to tell the contractor what to do, what not to do, what to do again, etc etc.

Problem was the farangs BIL was determined to change the plans to create 2 extra very small bedrooms, to remove the western style kitchen and more and as fast as the employed engineer / supervisor told the contractor to not change the plans the BIL was paying the workers to change the walls etc.

Fairly quickly the retired engineer / supervisor told the farang that unless he told the BIL to back off / prohibit him from coming to the the lot the engineer would resign.

Within a short time the engineer / supervisor did resign. Farang had to put construction on hold (nothing done) for about 6 months until he could take some extra leave and be on site all day every day. 

Edited by scorecard

Not entirely, but I was back in England for a lot of the early part of the build. 

Before we started I insisted upon a few of things. Firstly I required "proper" detailed plans drawn up by a qualified architect. Secondly i needed a builder who was prpared to agree a contract with set payments/milestones. Lastly I went to see some of the houses that the prospective builder had built/was building. Despite the above I think, looking back, that we were still quite fortunate to have found a decent builder.

I was here for the first couple of weeks, then had to return to the UK to work, leaving Mrs BM to oversee the project and to source the materiel. Mrs BM has a good head for shopping and negotiating and she and the builder worked well together. For a short period Mrs BM joined me in England, leaving her brother to look out for us. They would send me plenty of pics every day during this time.

IIRC they had completed the footings, ground floor walls, stairs and first floor when I returned.

A couple of words of warning, like you I have inlaws living next to us. They would never admit to not knowing something and would just spout BS rather than say "I don't know". Make sure you keep the BS detector switched on. I've heard others talk about kickbacks from shops and builders merchants to the builder, be aware. If the builder says "can't do "x", do some research and get back to them with more information.

Whilst I said above that I bought detailed plans, listen to your builder, they may well have good ideas that you might not have thought of in the early stages. Our builder and his team were great, we just did some little things to make thngs a bit easier for them - a constant supply of ice and drinking water, occasional cups of tea or coffee or some fruit or "kanom". They were very appreciative and it helped motivate them.

Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

No way. Far too big a risk. Even with good builders there are things that can go wrong. When I had mine built even with very good drawings, twice I had to pick them up on misreading them. Would have been a massive problem if I had not been there. Too big a gamble for you even with the best will in the world. Go with the majority of posters on this subject. Don't do it!!! 

• Like 2

I built a 4 storey building in Bangkok, most of it done while I was away. I hired an architect to oversea the job for 50k bt and had no problems. The building is 10 tears old now and still no problems.

• Like 1

dont newer believe thai constructer, if not have on to house eweryday, come what come,bad guality and miss and fail many think, thai not can build anythink good or need be itself looking alltime. and tell what need do. and if you want somethink you own plan, thai not make because not can,understand,and want do.and not newer believe you wife wather, him want say all and then all come shit and wrong, and lot scam money, normal 3 house,2bathroom, little house cost under 500 000b but if father and thais buuild whit you money come scam cost 3 million B , all take ower prize lot and wife and father take own pocket lot money too. my friend build house what cost 500 000 B and full him need pay 800 000 B because thais scam lot money to own pocket. wife and family.

Newer not build or pay  building if not have married whit thai first some year, only idiot build or pay house to girlfriend, only if has marry and sure can live whit this woman many many year. or if have lot lot money waste ewery girlfriend new house,idiots have.

It really comes back to a couple of important points :

Firstly, trust between you and your wife with money and payments,

and secondly, having her or a relative who has proper adequate building knowledge to be on site as much as possible.

I had a house built being overseas in the same situation. Now although not ideal, the house was completed, all looks quite ok although some welding from the re-bar in the corner concrete posts to the roof purlins/beams is very tacky or rough, but he did complete it all and the roof is still on.

As mentioned earlier, it was a local builder guy from the village so we couldn't be choosy to pick who we wanted ... it had to be him or wait months for another and maybe pay 2x as much for travel costs. Anyway, it's a house, 2 bedroom, block and tile, zinc roof.