Netflix signs deal for Thai cave boy rescue miniseries

Jonathan Fairfield

Netflix signs deal for Thai cave boy rescue miniseries

2019-04-30T072044Z_1_LYNXNPEF3T0BK_RTROPTP_4_NETFLIX-RESULTS.JPG

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Netflix said on Tuesday it had secured the rights to make a miniseries about the dramatic rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach from a cave in northern Thailand last year that captured international attention.

"The story combines so many unique local and universal themes which connected people from all walks of life, from all around the world," Erika North, Netflix's Director of International Originals, said.

"Thailand is a very important market for Netflix and we are looking forward to bringing this inspiring local, but globally resonant story...to life," she added.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team, aged between 11 and 16, and their 25-year-old coach became trapped on June 23 while exploring the cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

A 17-day effort to rescue them gripped the world with experts from various countries volunteering to help.

"We look forward to working with all involved parties to ensure our story is told accurately," assistant coach Ekkapol "Ake" Chantapong said.

The miniseries will be directed by Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M. Chu and Nattawut "Baz" Poonpiriya.

Netflix and SK Global Entertainment secured the rights from the 13 Thamluang, a company established by the boys and their coach.

So far, two books about the rescue have been published while a feature film by British-Thai director Tom Waller, "The Cave", wrapped up shooting in December, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

(Reporting by Juarawee Kittisilpa and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-01

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

The big question is how much the football boys and their coach are getting for this TV adaptation?

The bigger question in my mind is why they have the rights to sell the story at all?   For all intents and purposes, they were just along for the ride.  The monetary rights to the story should belong to the guys who did the heavy lifting.

• Like 2

This was an extraordinary event last year that tested the limits of human physical and mental strength.  There was success and there was tragedy.

I agree that it was a special story  but find it sad that since then it has become a cash cow.

As we all already know the ending, they'll have to deploy some industrial strength creativity to sustain audience interest for an entire season.

My guess is that the primary narrative arc will involve eccentric billionaire genius Elon Musk's race against time to find the boys before notorious pedophile Vernon Unsworth can get his hands on them.

34 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They would all have died if not for the foreign help, hope they emphasize that in the film

As Netflix is a US company, the 3 British divers will now be Americans.

The Thai roles will be played by Constance Wu, Lucy Liu, Maggie Q, Randall Park, John Cho, Sandra Oh, Margaret Cho and that hot asian chick from Battlestar Galactica.

The heroic protagonist, Prayut Chan-o-cha, will be played by Jackie Chan. Scarlett Johansson will cameo as love interest Hillary Clinton.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, donnacha said:

As Netflix is a US company, the 3 British divers will now be Americans.

The Thai roles will be played by Constance Wu, Lucy Liu, Maggie Q, Randall Park, John Cho, Sandra Oh, Margaret Cho and that hot asian chick from Battlestar Galactica.

The heroic protagonist, Prayut Chan-o-cha, will be played by Jackie Chan. Scarlett Johansson will cameo as love interest Hillary Clinton.

Monika would be better.

Holding your breath for long periods etc etc.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Mixed feelings on this one. 

One one hand, kudos to the boys and their coach for cashing in on their misfortune. 

OTOH, to reward them for a rather foolish outing that cost the taxpayers millions of baht and the life of a rescuer doesn't send an appropriate message to anyone contemplating their next adventure.  Basically, all they really did was screw up and live to have someone else tell about it.

And I guess you where never a kid that liked to explore????? "a foolish outing" man, get a life and stop talking cra.p

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

Don't forget the latest Asian cinematic pin-up who played Rose Tico in Star Wars the Last Jedi, she can play a grief-stricken mother as well as any of the above...As for the non-Thai part, if they cast Anna Kendrick (of Pitch Perfect fame) for the part of the female american navy ltnant who played her role in the whole saga entirely outside the cave standing on a soapbox in the rain and mud demonstrating the art of giving long flowery speeches about nothing at all, phew, then I'll watch it. But I prefer Uncle Prayut himself doing a cameo, that's alone is worth the price of subscription!

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Netflix and SK Global Entertainment secured the rights from the 13 Thamluang, a company established by the boys and their coach.

But are the boys the real owners of "13 Thamluang" or someone else behind who will receive the money? It would not surprise me if the government is involved. 

Edited by balo

2 hours ago, connda said:

Well they finally found a film company who can do the story right.  Congrats!

National Geographic is currently in Thailand preparing to start filming on their version of the events. A documentary I believe. Kevin Macdonald set to direct.

8 hours ago, geoff65 said:

And I guess you where never a kid that liked to explore????? "a foolish outing" man, get a life and stop talking cra.p

Of course I did foolish stuff as a kid.  We all did.  That doesn't mean it wasn't foolish. 

And none of my exploring cost the government millions of baht, or resulted in the death of a rescuer.  Or made me any movie money.

Nice insult on the end there.  I'm sure that wins you a lot of arguments.

Of course I did foolish stuff as a kid.  We all did.  That doesn't mean it wasn't foolish. 

And none of my exploring cost the government millions of baht, or resulted in the death of a rescuer.  Or made me any movie money.

Nice insult on the end there.  I'm sure that wins you a lot of arguments.

That's right an ex-navy seal died trying to rescue the boys. Let's hope the family of the deceased gets something from this Netflix series.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app