Now MRT is broken as BTS.

Number 6

16 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You’re right, the system is too popular and overcrowded, and they should increase fares until ridership is less than capacity; that would also give them the cash flow to pay for the additional cars and signalling improvements to improve capacity.

Unfortunately, the masses who are not as perceptive as you or me would whinge and complain.

"...they should increase fares until ridership is less than capacity; that would also give them the cash flow to pay for the additional cars..."

If they reduced the number of passengers to below capacity, as you suggest, why would they want cash for additional carriages when they would then have more than enough carriages?

17 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Never ever waited more than one train. Total wait like 7 minutes. Living along the Sukhumvit line for 7 years.. 

Which station?

I have waited for 3 trains at Thong Lor. I must admit I don't push and shove as some people do.

Edit: Sorry, the topic is about MRT. The "Sukhumvit Line" bit confused me.

MRT is just as bad from Sukhumvit  sometimes. 

Edited by petedk

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The main problem with the BTS is that there is simply far too long between trains. If they halved the wait between trains the trains would be much less crowded and the whole experience would be much nicer. I imagine that the same would apply to the MRT.

In rush hours there is usually less than 1½ minutes between BTS trains, how much more frequent do you think that the trains could be?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

So you believe that submarines purchases should be prioritized over things like mass transportation, improved roads etc?  Why are you so defensive lol?

And are you aware that regardless of amount  of lines there is a real shortage of cars and are you aware that a couple years ago needed maintenance was deferred due to shortage of cars?  You need to brush up on your facts.

Yeah I remember that news release.  I also remember a lot of squealing from the wheels of the trains at the time lol.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

In rush hours there is usually less than 1½ minutes between BTS trains, how much more frequent do you think that the trains could be?

They could run an escalator, people would still complain

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Well do you like to stand in a very full wagon for a long time? I don't.

I wasn't endorsing or opposing the move MRT made to remove the train car seating...

Just pointing out in response to someone above complaining about the lack of available seats on the MRT trains, that part of the reason for that is they deliberately removed some seating to increase total capacity.

And STILL after that, are having problems with overcrowding at peak hours at least.

19 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They changed the  train manufacturer from Siemens to some chinese crap, at least for the skytrains.

That's why that shit is always broken.

Immigration, road kill...what the HELL is wrong with this country???

20 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

So you believe that submarines purchases should be prioritized over things like mass transportation, improved roads etc?  Why are you so defensive lol?

And are you aware that regardless of amount  of lines there is a real shortage of cars and are you aware that a couple years ago needed maintenance was deferred due to shortage of cars?  You need to brush up on your facts.

I don’t think he mentioned submarines.  I don’t think they come out of the public transport budget.  A lot of countries set one budget allocation for defence, another for public transportation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wasn't endorsing or opposing the move MRT made to remove the train car seating...

Just pointing out in response to someone above complaining about the lack of available seats on the MRT trains, that part of the reason for that is they deliberately removed some seating to increase total capacity.

And STILL after that, are having problems with overcrowding at peak hours at least.

They can build all the lines to wherever but if not enough cars what's the point?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Hour long waits at the most central and important station, gated closures, air-conditioning not functioning with the capacity, queues overwhelmed, turnstiles backed up.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Immigration, road kill...what the HELL is wrong with this country???

2 minutes ago, losworld said:

They can build all the lines to wherever but if not enough cars what's the point?

Different lines serve different places.

More cars address the same places.

By adding more lines, they add more destinations, providing more opportunities for people on the existing lines, as well as serving new communities on the new lines.

I think Bangkok could do more to improve interchanges, and make the most of those network benefits. How easy is it to reach the airport express line without a taxi journey to Makkasan?

1 minute ago, losworld said:

If memory serves, I believe there are some additional train sets on order for the MRT, in part because of the expansion of their routes. But as usual, actual procurement is lagging far behind the original schedule and the need.

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Cheap yes - comfortable - not so much as almost no seats (not talking rush hours) and teenagers seem almost as bad as drivers in sprinting to any open seat regardless of signs giving priority to those that need.  At least most trips are not too long.

Straight up lies . Teenagers are most polite here . unlike in USA whre they are all armed with guns and on methamphetamine with zero respect for society or their elders . 

• Like 1

Never, ever had to wait more than one train which are 5/6 min apart. Clean, cool, comfortable

You are very lucky to have these 2 services here. The OP would be moaning if his ar,,,,,,caught on fire

Go live in Jakarta for a while,,, that will stop the moaning

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Where did I say they should prioritise submarines over mass transportation?? You said that! If you take your mind back I was replying to your ridiculous comment that the MRT is "broken" (apparently, according to the OP) because the government prioritises submarines over mass transit.  I was pointing out what a ridiculous comment it was - and it is.  As I said they are investing massively in mass transit and in a few years Bangkok will have one of the world's most comprehensive urban rail networks.  They are also building tons of roads, motorways, expressways.  If you think I am being defensive by explaining how your lie is utterly untrue and completely ridiculous then I guess I am defensive.

There isn't a shortage of cars.  The network is busy at times, yes.  Could the BTS and MRT do with an extra carriage at rush hour, yeah it would be nice, but do I get to work on time every day?  Yes I do.  Can I always get on the train?  Mostly, yes, sometimes I have to wait for a second one if I don't want to shove on.  The second one comes within two minutes.  Do I have to wait an imaginary hour to get on a train like someone else claimed?  No.  

The BTS and MRT are private concessions.  Would YOU invest a few million just to satisfy the grumps on here and let them have a bit more space and have to wait two minutes less at non peak times?  No, I am sure you wouldn't.

And yes, the ARL had a maintenance issue due to the utter incompetence of the SRT in not ordering spare parts ahead of time.  Maintenance was deferred because of a lack of parts, not a lack of trains.  The SRT is Thailand's worst run government entity by a country mile.  

So to sum up:

Your original post said the government prioritises submarines over mass transit.

I reply it doesn't and point out the hundreds of kms of mass transit under construction with hundreds of stations, and the recently opened extensions on two lines.

You essentially reply "Yeah, but you think the government prioritises submarines don't you, and the ARL had a maintenance problem a couple of years ago!!"

Well that told me.  

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

What?

What part of my post did you not understand? Please tell me and I will try my best to help you. Was it my reference to; "......brains are in short supply".

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's certainly cheap, as a 'senior' I went from the train station to Mochit for 21bht a few months back.

Do foreign Seniors get discounted fares on BTS and MRT ?

49 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

What part of my post did you not understand? Please tell me and I will try my best to help you. Was it my reference to; "......brains are in short supply".

"What part of my post did you not understand?"

All of it.  None of it was factual so it did not make any sense to me. 

"Was it my reference to; "......brains are in short supply".

Be careful with not-so-subtle innuendo here, personal attacks are frowned upon.

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

Do foreign Seniors get discounted fares on BTS and MRT ?

No they are not eligible but a lot of my retired friends have the senior citizen cards. Thai is the land of all possibilities. 

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I’m not sure which factory the Siemens trains came from

IIRC the original rolling stock came from Germany (Siemens has a test facility at the old RAF station at Wildenrath near Monchengladbach.

2 hours ago, Scutty said:

Straight up lies . Teenagers are most polite here . unlike in USA whre they are all armed with guns and on methamphetamine with zero respect for society or their elders . 

Back in the day, I never had a gun, I never took drugs and I never assaulted my elders, you may just be extrapolating your own behaviour or experience

46 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I have been using the BTS/MRT mass transit systems for the last 20 years and never had a problem that would cause me to complain. The only problem I see is on the Bang Wa line, due to the delay in double tracking the line over the river at Taksin Station. This is currently under design and hopefully will be constructed next year. The train intervals are controlled by computer which sends more trains during peak hours or if there is an increase in passenger demand. Off peak is 5 minutes max intervals, but they can be controlled to 1.5minute intervals at peak hours. 4 car sets can handle 1 Million trips per day and current passenger trips are 800,000 per day. More trains are already being delivered for the BTS and should all be delivered by the time the extensions are completed and fully opened.

Facts and knowledge are no solution. We live in the post-fact ecology, where alternative facts prevail