How do I safely remove a bees' nest from my house?

Tapster

I have a bees' nest in a storage room to which I need access. The nest is at the door and if I walk past there are a lot of bees showing interest, so (reluctantly) I have decided to remove the nest.

The nest is approximately the size of a soccer ball and there are hundreds of bees all over it. At night they seem to sleep in a massive huddle on the nest with none of them flying around.

Therefore, I think it's best to spray the nest at night with some sort of insecticide, run away quickly and come back the next night to check it and maybe spray again.

What's the best insecticide readily available from HomePro?

What's the best technique for killing the bees and removing the nest?

In an ideal world, I'd much prefer not to kill the bees but I know that a pest company will kill them all anyway, and I don't have the bee suit, nor the skills to move the nest.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.     ????

Thank for the reply.

I live in Phuket and there are many firms here who will remove it for me.

I was hoping to save some money by doing it myself.    ????

Insecticide? why we need bees in  this world, many parts of the world having problems due to the lack of bees.

Get out ask your neighbours, one of them will surely sort it for you.

Last year we had a bees nest on our balcony, wife asked a local man, 5 minutes job done.

a couple of aerosol cans... not insecticide, but some super tacky spray.

I have used 3M CraftSpray - works perfectly

simply envelop the nest in a deluge of the tacky mist

any bees trying to evacuate, to enter... will all immediately be stuck to the nest, to each other

nothing escapes

the nest over the following hours will get very large! and will continue so, until there aren;t any free bees left

through all this, feel free to keep sparying even more

and when you have finished... this 3M stuff burns quite well

Make sure thy are honey bees,if so no need to remove them they will never attack you.These small honey bees are very docile.They will move on in time,we have nests here often.

Some other poster mentioned already get a Thai to take them if you want to have them removed,

If they are wasps then you may want to remove them but without using anything poisonous.

Thank you everyone.

????
So the "local guy" option seems best.

I'll see what I can do regarding local help. It sounds like it's quite a common problem so maybe someone will do it for me.

Leaving the nest where it is isn't an option. We're clearing out the store room and there will be a lot of human activity. Even docile bees won't like that.

@Golden Triangle

review of Phuket Bee Farm:

Review of Big Bee Farm

Reviewed 17 December 2015

We are UK beekeepers so were really looking forward to going here. 
Firstly they were surprised we were there on our own and not as part of a tour. This seemed to throw them a bit. So they allocated is a guide who after a brief stop at the bees tried to take us straight to the shop. But we wanted to see the beehives. 

They keep Italian bees which are incredibly docile. They have two hives neither of which were set up to produce honey. Plenty worker bees no male drones. Well we spotted one to the surprise of our guide, who immediately despatched it. 
No brood that we could see there was a queen not marked. 
When we eventually went to the shop I asked for honey produced there at the farm. I thought maybe they had working hives in another part of the grounds. I was told no only honey from other places in Thailand. 

Interesting if you like honey. But as a beekeeper disappointing.

I've Googled Phuket beekeepers, etc. and there's nothing. I'll look locally.

Chances are they are not bees but rather the small wasps that seem to be everywhere.  They will build nest in the strangest places and are usually not aggressive. BUT, if you happen to get in the way (like fanning your hand) they give a real bitch of a sting.  My wife managed to step on one and got jabbed.  The swelling and pain goes away after a day or two but very not fun.  FYI:  simple bug spray will wipe out the nest in minutes.

Its my understanding that they move along very quickly and look for a new place to build.

I had a swarm on the move looking for somewhere new, in my gardening cupboard literally 1m from my front door.

We were in a bit of a panic thi king they had set up inside but after two hours they were off to pastures new

That is Apis Cerana, the asian honey bee. They are wery flighty and will move out by themselves if you make it uncomfortable for them there. Use smoke, some old rag that's smoldering will work. Move slowly and deliberatly around them and they will not sting you. No fast movements, especially not against them as they will feel a threat. They will all abscond to a better location in a swarm when they realize your house is a bad place to stay. Then you can eat the honey :-). But take all comb away at once when they left or you get a big ant invasion...

15 hours ago, Tapster said:

This is the nest.

It looks like they're staying for a while!

Rawai beehive.jpg

I had better not show that to SWMBO as she would want to get it to eat.

all you need to do is tell the village that it's there, show them the pictures, tell them they can have it and you will have to fight the volunteers off with a stick

If they are the small honey bees, they wont bother you, and actually, they bring good luck! At least that is what the wife says. Anyway, they dont bother you, if you dont bother them. There is enough poison in Thailand, dont need to spread more. Some members here, even want to kill Geckos, the most harmless animal in Thailand! 

Archived