Why do you want a pick up truck?

Wife is a fashionista chick, most of her life in BKK, but prefers SUVs and pick up trucks.  She, and I, like the larger size/mass and that they sit up higher/better visibility.  City or village/countryside is irrelevant to that preference. 

I've always been partial to trucks/SUVs anyway.  Jeep CJs, Ford Bronco, Explorer, Toyo Landcruisers in the Gulf/middle east.  On holidays in the US, we both like to kick the tires on the large pick ups there - Ford F150s, fully loaded Chevy Silverados, etc. 

• Like 1

Part of the decision to move here was because it is pick-up country and i dont mean the girls!

Love driving one and we use it to haul a lot of stuff.

chicken feed,hay,manure,trees and what not.

Last year sold ym beloved Toyota Tiger and got a Ford Ranger..

I am not going offroading anymore so this is a two wheel drive.

Never go fast and never in a hurry, now i just need a gunrack to put my fishing rod in.

20180906_103216.jpg

• Like 2

My first lump was a 3lt Vigo 4x4. Got that as obtained a new house and I needed to cart thing's about. Once house finished 4 years. I changed it for a Tuna. 

The one or two things that were great about the pick up was it's size (room for carrying things) vision. But it did have it's down falls. Was crap on a bumpy road as the Butt used to jump all over the place at speed, if not loaded. Also the shelf at the back would fill up with water during the rainy season. I put a top on mine that sorted the latter.

It's horses for courses. If you need the room get one, if not a large MPV. Does much the same thing without any aggro. Also better appointed. But they do cost a lot more.

I have driven small lumps here and I think they are a death trap. Lack power loaded, and being able to see round the 80% bigger things on the road is a cant do. Ok if you want to only use it in town but try them on a long journey. You also wont be able to carry 4 peeps with all their luggage. Don't even think about 5 peeps. If you don't believe me give it a go. Then you'll be down to a roof rack.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

I'd agree that the average farang in Thailand doesn't need a pick-up, unless farming or in another business involving hauling a lot of goods, but Thais like the low cost, the 4-wheel drive when going to/from the village, and the ability to help friends/family out when they need to move stuff.  I think for young Thai guys in particular, it's mostly machismo and low cost.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I'd agree that the average farang in Thailand doesn't need a pick-up, unless farming or in another business involving hauling a lot of goods, but Thais like the low cost, the 4-wheel drive when going to/from the village, and the ability to help friends/family out when they need to move stuff.  I think for young Thai guys in particular, it's mostly machismo and low cost.

Yes, I am above average. Mrs NL mentions it frequently as well.

Yes, but I doubt that Thai drivers are unique in appreciating practicality while wanting to save money.

Yes, you can't do real machismo in a Jazz or a Swift regardless of the body wrap, after-market rims and big ol' resonator exhaust.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

if i ever buy a car, its going to be a pickup,

i think they are comparatively good value here,

and its the only option if moving,

and as an extra plus i can also load the bike on it

I moved a few years ago, using a small hatch back car. You often do you move?

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I used to have a Chevy Colorado, sold it when I went back to the US to work and spend less time in Thailand. Big mistake! Got tired of renting every time we came back and bought a small car to have while in Thailand,

Now I am about to fully retire , be in Thailand full time and I am looking to buy a more substantial vehicle.

From my research it looks like it will endup being a pickup truck.

Why?

Because of what you get for what you pay. Value, and Utility.

Price range will be between 800K bht -1.5 mil bht

All the Utility vehicles in the 800k bht price range come with an inadequate size engine for their weight  except for the pickup trucks.

All the MPVs (Sienta,mobilio etc) and small SUVs (MG zx etc) come with a 1.5L about 108 hp engine .  Engine too small for their weight. In the US I have a small toyota with a 1.5L 108 hp engine that weight 500 lb less than the Sienta, and it is underpowered. I can only imagine what the Toyota Sienta that weight 500 lb more will be like empty, load it up with people and stuff and....

About 800k gets you a four door pickup truck, diesel engine about 130 hp , but more important plenty of torque , plenty of Utility, height , Solid. 

Or go for 1.3-1.5 mil baht and get an Everest or a Pajero  

So That's where I am. Get a weak MPV for about 800k, Get a Pickup truck for about 800K or go for broke and get a proper SUV for 1,3-1.5 mil bht.

I like the Toyota Sienta but 1,5 L 108 hp for a 2668 lbs  car? ......

My  2.0 l Mazda CX3 wasjust over 1 million. The lower range were 800k+.

Mazda CX5, is bigger and only 1.2 mill.

Edited by Neeranam

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I live up country and a normal car is good enough for me. Mazda CX3.

I understand if it's a financial thing, they are cheap.

Why do you drive one?

Do you live in the city? 

How do you get 20 people in a Cx3.

Many Trucks more expensive that cars.

Use it carrying wood product.

Live in a village.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Just now, Sealbash said:

Why would anyone have any concern what other people drive? This is why there is a large selection of vehicles available.

Pickup's are more unstable than a regular car - thus a degree of concern is understanding if it increases your risk of an accident... Just one idea of why some people may be concerned.

But for the most part, you are right, it doesn't really matter what everyone else drives unless they are all in 3 tonne trucks while I'm in a Yaris.

IF I was a farmer, up country and needed to carry bulk materials in my only means of transport a truck would prove useful... Otherwise a truck is purchased on price and fashion - just like any other vehicle. 

Safety and visibility are my two main factors. I have a double cab and its the best of both worlds (Edit: I had a sportrider before and the difference in comfort is tenfold). Its anonymous, no western stickers and a couple of scratches tend to keep any chancers away as well.

Others I know who have had stickers highlighting them as farang have had bikes deliberately dumped in front of the which is why I have a dash cam fitted. I am out in rural areas of the island quite a lot and for me a pickup is far more sensible than a car for what I am doing.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Safety and visibility are my two main factors. I have a double cab and its the best of both worlds (Edit: I had a sportrider before and the difference in comfort is tenfold). Its anonymous, no western stickers and a couple of scratches tend to keep any chancers away as well.

Others I know who have had stickers highlighting them as farang have had bikes deliberately dumped in front of the which is why I have a dash cam fitted. I am out in rural areas of the island quite a lot and for me a pickup is far more sensible than a car for what I am doing.

Why is pickup (say a Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux) more visible and safer than say regular sedan say a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord?

I'm thinking both are equally as visible unless painted in luminescent paint. 

I'm thinking the Sedans offer greater safety, i.e. more air-bags, better designed crumple zones, better road handling, better brakes, less chance of rollover etc... 

That said: I'd rather be in a Ford Ranger than Ford fiesta in a head on accident - but if we are comparing 'size for size' (or a regular pick up to a regular sedan) then I'd choose the sedan. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pikao said:

I would ask this question the other way around. Why don´t you want a pick up truck?

For me there are not enough disadvantages compared to a "normal" car for not having a pick up.

Interesting - how about the comparison to a regular SUV (i.e. Honda CRV etc)... how often do you take something in your Pickup that wouldn't fit in an SUV?... I think that could be the difference when some find a Pickup more convenient. 

• Like 1