Why do you want a pick up truck?

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

What car type vehicle are you referring to ?? As far as I know, a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry can seat 5 people legally. Guess what, most 4 door pick ups can seat 5 people legally ????

To say nothing of the 10 in the back !! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Despite many claiming trucks are more value , truth is it’s not. Maybe bottom of the range is , but top models over 1 million . For this price can get pretty much any other passenger car.

why so many people buy pick ups?

1. Yearly floods

2. Bad roads

3. More safe as larger than a small sedan

4. More space 

5. Cheaper fuel, ie diesel

agree with you

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Despite many claiming trucks are more value , truth is it’s not. Maybe bottom of the range is , but top models over 1 million . For this price can get pretty much any other passenger car.

1. Yearly floods

2. Bad roads

4. More space 

Agree but deisel isnt cheaper than E85

Gasohol E85   21.29 baht
Diesel               28.09 baht

I still dont get the "they are safer" argument. Vehicles get safety ratings, 5 star being the highest. Vehicles go though a series of crash test scenarios, head on, side impact, speed etc and are rated. The braking system, airbags, safety features also get taken into account. 

A 5 star safety rating is a 5 star safety rating. One 5 star rating is not safer than another 5 star rating.

A Toyota yaris and a ford ranger both have a 5 star safety rating, the crash test dummy survived equally in both cars, under the same conditions, under the same crash tests.

When they come up with a 6 star rated pick-up then it would be safer than a 5 star sedan.

• Like 2

People are not buying traditional cars. SUV's and pickups are a much better value.

Ford said on Wednesday the only passenger car models it plans to keep on the market in North America will be the Mustang and the upcoming Ford Focus Active, a crossover-like hatchback that's slated to debut in 2019.

That means the Fiesta, Taurus, Fusion and the regular Focus will disappear in the United States and Canada.

Ford will, however, continue to offer its full gamut of trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

And it's not just Ford. Fiat Chrysler did away with the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 more than a year ago.

GM will discontinue the Chevrolet Impala full-size car, the company confirmed. ... The company will also end U.S. sales of the Cadillac XTS and Buick LaCrosse luxury cars after production ends in March. And the Cadillac CT6 will be killed off in the U.S. after mid-2019, though it will continue to be sold in China.  [CNN Business]

I owned a hilux vigo for 10 years from new and when i sold it and bought a car i didnt think id miss it but after a while i had to buy another pick up.

Its not that i need the space or carry much but when i do or the roads are flooded no point trying to take out a car.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Agree in principal but in tests they are hitting like for like, all hitting the same brick wall at a given speed etc.

Its not like that in the real world,

Toyota pick up slamming into a Honda jazz I know which one I would rather be in.

Isn't that the whole idea of the tests, they are under equal conditions, the same impact at the same speed etc. There are a couple of tests that pickups fail, they impact then roll over because of a higher centre of gravity, front heavy etc. 

The honda jazz probably has a stronger passenger cell, more airbags etc to achieve the same rating. and it doesn't roll over in 2 out of 5 tests.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Isn't that the whole idea of the tests, they are under equal conditions, the same impact at the same speed etc. There are a couple of tests that pickups fail, they impact then roll over because of a higher centre of gravity, front heavy etc. 

The honda jazz probably has a stronger passenger cell, more airbags etc to achieve the same rating. and it doesn't roll over in 2 out of 5 tests.

I prefer my family in my 20 year old steel pickup to a new plastic Jazz.

I know which vehicle is gonna come out intact if the two were to suddenly meet.

As I rarely drive over 60Kph, I'm not that concerned about rolling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that, I did look at the CX3 ,A very nice car , drives very nice ,strong engine . and If it was just my wife and me a good option,but for as we need more room .

A Pickup truck or a three row seating vehicle with the third row down until needed. This will give me enough of boot/trunk  space for most of my needs. If I am going to spend 1 mil I might as well spend an other 300k and get a full size three row diesel SUV.

It depends what you like, I like how it drives, I love driving.

I did look at the Honda BRV, which has three rows, but every time I see one, I'm glad I didn't.

The HRV looks good, but not as stylish as the Mazda.

The HRV has more room for my kids in the back, but that's not important ????

51 minutes ago, BestB said:

1. Yearly floods

2. Bad roads

4. More space 

What about driving space? 

I think the CX3 is not economical for fuel than most pick ups. I get over 500 km for 1000 baht, using E20.

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

People are not buying traditional cars. SUV's and pickups are a much better value.

Ford said on Wednesday the only passenger car models it plans to keep on the market in North America will be the Mustang and the upcoming Ford Focus Active, a crossover-like hatchback that's slated to debut in 2019.

That means the Fiesta, Taurus, Fusion and the regular Focus will disappear in the United States and Canada.

Ford will, however, continue to offer its full gamut of trucks, SUVs and crossovers.

And it's not just Ford. Fiat Chrysler did away with the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 more than a year ago.

GM will discontinue the Chevrolet Impala full-size car, the company confirmed. ... The company will also end U.S. sales of the Cadillac XTS and Buick LaCrosse luxury cars after production ends in March. And the Cadillac CT6 will be killed off in the U.S. after mid-2019, though it will continue to be sold in China.  [CNN Business]

I looked at a Ford SUV, and would only buy it if couldn't afford the Mazda.

• Like 1

I had nice cars but went back to 4*4pickups. I live in the country and have a farm but even in bangkok it can get bad in floods but still sometines you gota haul stuff. I ride all forms of motorcycles and using trailers is too dangerous so a pickup is great. They are dangerous but dam usefull. You can put your whole thai family in the back which is better than in the back seat...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jitar said:

So Mr Neeranam, why do you hate pickup so much?

I think it's mainly because of the way people drive them, especially young men.

The drivers, in my experience are often police, soldiers, and other macho types.

Also, where I was raised, only a workman would buy one.

Also, I don't like the way they drive, I like a sporty car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

Gotta buy a bigger one than them.. 

Small gearknob syndrome rules the roads.

Another childish comment,there are a lot of genuine reasons for people to buy a pick-up.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, I am above average. Mrs NL mentions it frequently as well.

Yes, but I doubt that Thai drivers are unique in appreciating practicality while wanting to save money.

Yes, you can't do real machismo in a Jazz or a Swift regardless of the body wrap, after-market rims and big ol' resonator exhaust.

I likehigh ride pickup trucks so I can look down on the jazz and swift drivers 555

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

I had nice cars but went back to 4*4pickups. I live in the country and have a farm but even in bangkok it can get bad in floods but still sometines you gota haul stuff. I ride all forms of motorcycles and using trailers is too dangerous so a pickup is great. They are dangerous but dam usefull. You can put your whole thai family in the back which is better than in the back seat...

Fair enough. I'd buy one too if I were a farmer.

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

Another childish comment,there are a lot of genuine reasons for people to buy a pick-up.

A fair observation, I'd say. There are a lot of small been I see coming out of big SUVs and pick ups.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2