Brunei says it won't enforce gay death penalty after backlash

webfact

Brunei says it won't enforce gay death penalty after backlash

2019-05-05T143259Z_1_LYNXNPEF440H8_RTROPTP_4_BRUNEI-LGBT-SULTAN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah attends the retreat session during the APEC Summit in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea November 18, 2018. REUTERS/David Gray/File Photo

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Reuters) - Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah on Sunday extended a moratorium on the death penalty to incoming legislation prohibiting gay sex, seeking to temper a global backlash led by celebrities such as George Clooney and Elton John.

The small Southeast Asian country sparked an outcry when it rolled out its interpretation of Islamic laws, or sharia, on April 3, punishing sodomy, adultery and rape with death, including by stoning.

Brunei has consistently defended its right to implement the laws, elements of which were first adopted in 2014 and which have been rolled out in phases since then.

However, in a rare response to criticism aimed at the oil-rich state, the sultan said the death penalty would not be imposed in the implementation of the Syariah Penal Code Order (SPCO).

Some crimes already command the death penalty in Brunei, including premeditated murder and drug trafficking, but no executions have been carried out since the 1990s.

"I am aware that there are many questions and misperceptions with regard to the implementation of the SPCO. However, we believe that once these have been cleared, the merit of the law will be evident," the sultan said in a speech ahead of the start of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

"As evident for more than two decades, we have practiced a de facto moratorium on the execution of death penalty for cases under the common law. This will also be applied to cases under the SPCO which provides a wider scope for remission."

The vastly wealthy sultan, who once piloted his own 747 airliner to meet former U.S. president Barack Obama, often faces criticism from activists who view his absolute monarchy as despotic, but it is unusual for him to respond.

The sultan's office released an official English translation of his speech, which is not common practice.

"Both the common law and the Syariah law aim to ensure peace and harmony of the country," he said.

"They are also crucial in protecting the morality and decency of the country as well as the privacy of individuals."

The law's implementation, which the United Nations condemned, prompted celebrities and rights groups to seek a boycott on hotels owned by the sultan, including the Dorchester in London and the Beverley Hills Hotel in Los Angeles.

Several multinational companies have since put a ban on staff using the sultan's hotels, while some travel companies have stopped promoting Brunei as a tourist destination.

(Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Dale Hudson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-06

A place of great beauty, but where the laws are archaic in the extreme.

The royal family live in great excessive luxury, while the majority of people have a much much much lower standard of living.

I would not trust the promise not to carry out the penalty, as the Rotan is used often as punishment, and he did not mention not amputating limbs of thieves which is also part of the laws

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

With a population of 438,000, like a medium city size, this sultanate has managed to show the world how ugly and medieval like thinking they can be, you'd think that a man of the sultan stature and education would know better...

Many dictators, despots and rulers in history have been educated. It did little to civilize the brutal and murderous ones.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It hasn’t creeped into mine. Mind to share how it has creeped into your life, day by day, month by month, year by year? 

It certainly hasn't crept into my life either! & never will!  Inshallah!!  :wink:

6 hours ago, malt25 said:

The average wage may not necessarily be high, but this is more than offset by substantial government subsidy programs. Oh, just wondering, have you ever visited Brunei ?

I may be mistaken, I seem to remember that wasn't it the Brunei Sultan that built a lot new homes for the poor but the poor wouldn't go and live in them.

Religion should not control the world in 2019. Still it does. 

Why can't humans start believing in themselves instead of a fantasy book? Same with catholics , muslims,  buddhists. It's all a fantasy. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, malt25 said:

"The royal family live in great excessive luxury, while the majority of people have a much much much lower standard of living."  This is a very ambiguous statement. Most, all, royal families worldwide live in luxury compared to the majority of "their subjects". Your comment infers that the general population of Brunei have a low standard of living. This is way off the mark. The average standard of living in Brunei is extremely high compared not only to other SE Asian nations, but many western countries. The average wage may not necessarily be high, but this is more than offset by substantial government subsidy programs. Oh, just wondering, have you ever visited Brunei ?

So that makes killing Homosexuals OK then?

• Thanks 1

Spent a few years on Brunei when I was a child. My father worked for Shell and he was there for several years. Went back afew year back and omg the place has changed. Still a backwater but only more intolerant.

It seems the Sultan is following the Saudi model of using religion to prop up and legitimise his rule. Like the Saudis, it's all hypocrisy. Sharia applied to all but him, his family and the well connected.

11 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

So that makes killing Homosexuals OK then?

Where did I say that ? Have another read of my reply to a misleading statement. I was only referring to the comment ""The royal family live in great excessive luxury, while the majority of people have a much much much lower standard of living."  I'd go so far as to say I'm probably more against Islam & sharia law than you. You understand now ?

I find it amusing that the whole world had a knee jerk reaction at the words gay and Islam yet nobody seems to worry that Brunei citizens of Chinese descent are not considered Bumiputera and not quite as equal equal as their Malay Brunei  brethren.  So that must be OK then. 

11 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

The average wage may not necessarily be high, but this is more than offset by substantial government subsidy programs. Oh, just wondering, have you ever visited Brunei ?

Yes I have, until they began to enforce Sharia Law (at that point it was for Muslims only) a few years back, then did personal boycott.

There is luxury, but then there is excess extravagance, border on offensive (IMO) 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I find it amusing that the whole world had a knee jerk reaction at the words gay and Islam yet nobody seems to worry that Brunei citizens of Chinese descent are not considered Bumiputera and not quite as equal equal as their Malay Brunei  brethren.  So that must be OK then. 

Well, if it's good enough for Malaysia...

I am so surprised that the world reacted in the way they did. How did they find out? I have no idea. We thought it was kind of a secret. Now, we will not kill gays. But, of course we will imprison them for life, and torture them. Human rights? What is that?

Sharia is the most heinous form of law, on this planet, and must be resisted with every nanogram of our beings. It is the opposite of anything spiritual. It is a man made edict, formulated by very insecure men, who have no self esteem, and alot of hatred in their tiny, black hearts. The world has no place for a belief system like this one. Extremism is ugly, no matter what it is, or where it comes from. 

This guy is a hedonist. He lives in an ivory tower. He does as he pleases, yet imposes these silly, draconian, cruel, inane policies on his people. Keep him isolated. Boycott anything and everything that this sorry man and this sorry nation owns.