Delay in Britain leaving EU is not about me, UK's May says

webfact

Delay in Britain leaving EU is not about me, UK's May says

2019-05-08T124553Z_1_LYNXNPEF470YX_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves church, as Brexit turmoil continues, in Sonning, Britain, May 5, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May said on Wednesday that the delay in Britain leaving the European Union was not an issue related to her leadership.

Told by Andrea Jenkyns, a lawmaker from her Conservative Party, that she had failed on Brexit and it was time to let someone new lead the party May responded: "Actually this is not an issue about me".

"If it were an issue about me and how I vote, we would already have left the European Union," said May, whose Brexit deal has been rejected three times by parliament.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan and Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Elisabeth O'Leary)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-09

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"If it were an issue about me and how I vote, we would already have left the European Union,"

Who says that she's not a Brexiteer? Classic Brexiteer line that's been posted many times on this forum. Just because they voted to leave the EU doesn't mean that they caused the problem. Yes, right.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Who says that she's not a Brexiteer? Classic Brexiteer line that's been posted many times on this forum. Just because they voted to leave the EU doesn't mean that they caused the problem. Yes, right.

Unclear. What are you trying to say ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

How did parliament get to change the wish of the people to leave the EU, deal was a after thought that has left them with shit on their faces.

Parliament doesn’t change the wish of the people. Parliament just makes decisions. Not all people like those decisions and might wish differently. That’s how things work and always have. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

How did parliament get to change the wish of the people to leave the EU, deal was a after thought that has left them with shit on their faces.

Because it was just a wish not a command 

54 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Parliament enacted article 50, meaning we left on 29 March with or without a deal. 

No, it doesn’t mean that you left. Your EU membership is a bilateral agreement in international law. It cannot be terminated or changed unilaterally through UK law. That would totally defeat the purpose of such contract. 

Parliament subsequently conniving to stop Brexit will fail.

Parliament is sovereign. If parliament wants to stop Brexit, I’m afraid it won’t fail. 

They will pay for their duplicity with their seats, and some of them with their careers.

It the electorate wants that, sure. 

This is just another temporary delay which harms the country. Brexit will happen whether it's this year or in 3 years.  There is no way back from this, it's gone too far and it must and will happen. Democracy will prevail. The sooner Remainiacs accept it, the better for everyone.

Keep telling yourself that, but do you actually believe it? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nauseus said:

She was and is a remainer, who has collaborated with Merkel and the EU to produce this dubious "deal". 

I still don't want to believe that such a collaboration was intended  -  but I can see how many would draw that conclusion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nauseus said:

She was and is a remainer, who has collaborated with Merkel and the EU to produce this dubious "deal". 

No it's just she is a xenophobic idiot - her deal is based on what her biases are, nothing more.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

How did the x word get in here? You haven't read the WA either have you? 

I think you will find exactly 0 percent of remainers support her deal.

the wa is necessary to comply with the UK's existing treaty commitments.

the x word comes from her hatred of FOM and immigrants in general, she showed at the Home office - hostile environment anybody ?  

10 minutes ago, tebee said:

I think you will find exactly 0 percent of remainers support her deal.

the wa is necessary to comply with the UK's existing treaty commitments.

the x word comes from her hatred of FOM and immigrants in general, she showed at the Home office - hostile environment anybody ?  

Everything she has ever touched seems to have gone pear-shaped.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Actually the issue of NOT Leaving the EU is all about Theresa, assisted by her cabal of Remainer MPs of course. The woman is a damn liar and has repeatedly been shown to be one.

She is the one who delayed the start of Article 50. She didn't allow it to run its' two year course and simply Leave at the end, but she went back for extensions. She was the one who came back with a Surrender Treaty instead of a "Goodbye, We'll Miss You" card. She's the one who has tried three times to foist her deal on a skeptical parliament. She is the one who is still trying to stitch us up as a vassal state. She's the one who would have us on BRINO terms - we wouldn't have actually left!

you all just have to undergo it until the autumn  :clap2: nothing they can do to her untill...

Edited by david555