Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Can I get an exclude everything with 100 percent deductible plan for a two or three thousand?

One of the 8 suggested plans was "major medical" sometimes called catastrophic insurance. Much, much cheaper, but they only pay for above 40000 IP. The problem will always be the 40K out patient part, that's crazy. I would also look at local Thai policies, not the "for you the expat" policies.

Note: even big time companies screw you when it comes time to pay, I have the scars to prove it. I chuckle at people who boast how much coverage they have. Seldom see people brag how much their insurers paid on emergency.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Can I get an exclude everything with 100 percent deductible plan for a two or three thousand?

I'd buy that policy.

I'd sell you one.   I'm sure they are being planned right now.

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

When did local Immigration offices start issuing the long stay O-A Visa?

When they mention expats on extensions of temporary permission of stay, then you can be concerned. Currently it's only suggested it will be applicable to Non O-A Visa applications.

This confusion has gone on for years. MFA issues visas; Immigration issues permissions of stay. The two of them sometimes don't know the difference.

To see this confusion, go to the MFA website explaining how and where to obtain a Non Imm O-A (long stay) Visa:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Check out where to submit:

Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Huh! Get your O-A visa at Immigration?

If you go to Immigration wanting a one-year stay, and have all your MFA stipulated requirements for an O-A visa, after they stop laughing, they'll either begin the one-year extension process based upon the Non Imm O visa you used for entry into Thailand; or begin a conversion process of your tourist visa, or visa exempt entry (the rare situation where Immigration actually issues a visa, i.e., the one-time Non Imm O needed for one year extensions).  But as far as MFA is concerned, you've gone to Immigration, and subsequently come out the other end with a one-year permission of stay. Hey, man, samo samo as getting a O-A from one of our consulates, therefore, it must be an O-A visa that was issued -- anything less would be plebeian, I say.

Thus, the confusion. An O-A "long stay" visa means the same as a one-year permission of stay, at least to many Thai bureaucrats.

So, when the Phuket Immigration honcho replies:

he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

Again, Immigration doesn't issue Non Imm O-A anything -- they issue permits of stay based on Non Imm  visas, to include Non Imm O-A visas that are about to expire, and upon which the owner wants a second one-year permit of stay (the first issued when he entered the airport a year prior). That this insurance requirement would apply only to new extensions tied to expiring Non Imm O-A visas is ludicrous.

Thus, let's stick to the title of this thread "long stay foreigners." How they got, or will get, their one-year long stay seems to be irrelevant. It just seems to makes sense if this whole drill affects all of us who will get (or renew) our one-year extensions -- or will apply in our homecountry for an O-A visa.

My only concern is to whether or not my Tricare Overseas Program, which covers all that they are concerned about, plus much more, shows up as acceptable. Unfortunately (unless someone know differently), I don't have a card showing my membership, as I don't think they have such cards. And I doubt DEERS data can be shared. We'll see.

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Who is going to check these policies at Immigration to make sure they are up to date and conform to what is required and also my 7 policies from America?  The high school girls in the front handing out papers?

Fine by me, as i'm sure they will be more friendly and more intelligent

than the ones in the back.  :cheesy:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

This confusion has gone on for years. MFA issues visas; Immigration issues permissions of stay. The two of them sometimes don't know the difference.

To see this confusion, go to the MFA website explaining how and where to obtain a Non Imm O-A (long stay) Visa:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Check out where to submit:

Huh! Get your O-A visa at Immigration?

If you go to Immigration wanting a one-year stay, and have all your MFA stipulated requirements for an O-A visa, after they stop laughing, they'll either begin the one-year extension process based upon the Non Imm O visa you used for entry into Thailand; or begin a conversion process of your tourist visa, or visa exempt entry (the rare situation where Immigration actually issues a visa, i.e., the one-time Non Imm O needed for one year extensions).  But as far as MFA is concerned, you've gone to Immigration, and subsequently come out the other end with a one-year permission of stay. Hey, man, samo samo as getting a O-A from one of our consulates, therefore, it must be an O-A visa that was issued -- anything less would be plebeian, I say.

Thus, the confusion. An O-A "long stay" visa means the same as a one-year permission of stay, at least to many Thai bureaucrats.

So, when the Phuket Immigration honcho replies:

Again, Immigration doesn't issue Non Imm O-A anything -- they issue permits of stay based on Non Imm  visas, to include Non Imm O-A visas that are about to expire, and upon which the owner wants a second one-year permit of stay (the first issued when he entered the airport a year prior). That this insurance requirement would apply only to new extensions tied to expiring Non Imm O-A visas is ludicrous.

Thus, let's stick to the title of this thread "long stay foreigners." How they got, or will get, their one-year long stay seems to be irrelevant. It just seems to makes sense if this whole drill affects all of us who will get (or renew) our one-year extensions -- or will apply in our homecountry for an O-A visa.

My only concern is to whether or not my Tricare Overseas Program, which covers all that they are concerned about, plus much more, shows up as acceptable. Unfortunately (unless someone know differently), I don't have a card showing my membership, as I don't think they have such cards. And I doubt DEERS data can be shared. We'll see.

If you can explain it to a 17 year old girl who doesn't speak English I don't see a problem.  I'm working on how to say Veterans disability and Myocardial infarction. 

Who is going to check these policies at Immigration to make sure they are up to date and conform to what is required and also my 7 policies from America?  The high school girls in the front handing out papers?
765887110_inscheck.jpg.fc8e37d26f798030d738f70d18b90a90.jpg
They won't need to be checked at any Immigration office as the OA and OX visa can only be applied for at an overseas Consulate or Embassy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They won't need to be checked at any Immigration office as the OA and OX visa can only be applied for at an overseas Consulate or Embassy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's if you are correct.  If I'm correct the girls will be looking at my VA Disability and Foreign Medical Probram documents. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimGant said:

That this insurance requirement would apply only to new extensions tied to expiring Non Imm O-A visas is ludicrous.

Exactly.

(Sorry to all you guys with fingers crossed.)

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, mania said:

Who knows right ????

Truth is as always the govt makes new rules & Immigration will be confused/uninformed as to how to implement but............

From what I am reading I think the new insurance for Non Imm OA Visa obtained outside Thailand at your home country consulates yes will need insurance

to complete

But any long stay extension done inside Thailand will have the new 800k for X amount of months?  & 400k remainder months?

That basically is the insurance requirement covered by the 400k....probably easier than trying to suss who has what policy etc.

So if your doing your extension inside Thailand & are following the seasoned money in bank rules you will not need the insurance since your 400k

is showing a form of locked in self insured?

But as usual like I said Who knows right? ???? That is my guess & how I have read it so far

How each Imm office will interpret it is anyone's guess

makes sense

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, Sticky Wicket said:

Not many people get away without paying . They would nail you to the bed if needed be. 

Only people who die with nothing leave a big fat bill.

I knew a guy who died, long story short, he owed 500k due to his ex gf moving him from govt to private while he was in a coma.

The hospital were absolutely beside themselves. Umpteen meetings  and people getting fired. They didn't even cremate him, left him to rot in a temple until he was just bones.

Years ago I had dengue, checked myself into a hospital. Upon discharge they literally drove me to an ATM. I was furious because I was still weak. I understand their position but I recall vividly I could barely muster the strength to make the transaction. They did nothing for me aside from care, no meds aside from paracetamol and a drip. Semi private hospital 'outside Bangkok'.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, mercman24 said:

one can rock up to Cambodia and have none of this shit, i am seriously looking to moving now, i have always, self certified, can get money here in 1.5 days, (now im gona get a reply , (wat if, wat if, etc) and yes i know the spelling , ok

Great idea Mercman24.  

Vietnam is another option: 1 yr ME Visa no hassle issued in 1-4 days for $55 US. NO reporting to mama every 90 days, NO 800/400 BS deposit, NO health insurance, safer roads, great food, etc...

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Wonder about all the broke ass English teachers on B visas? No way schools will pay for coverage of foreigners or will just be another reason to import 20-30 yo Filipinos.

Teachers are earning Thai salary which includes payments into social security. So yes, the schools are paying to cover them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Teachers are earning Thai salary which includes payments into social security. So yes, the schools are paying to cover them.

Public schools. Privates will have their own insurance. Both are usually weak below the best international schools.

The question is whether that coverage will be acceptable later under the new scheme. Perhaps they know they can get blood from a stone anyway.

I left a school, but hold a card hoping it's not dead. Is it possible for me to continue? I'd heard it was. I'd asked my wife to help sort this but she's dropped the ball. Pls message me bc I'm desperate for this information. Anything... website, phone number English. Even Thai if need be.

Like most here I am s little confused.
I have been here for nine years.

I am on the O-A extension. The said extension due again next August 27.

Is the insurance required for the extension?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
Are you sure about that? I am not sure O
-A even existed 9 years ago.

Most people here on retirement extensions obtained it after entry with (or conversion to) a regular "O" visa not O-A visa.

O-A visa can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate in your home country and is relatively new.

Check your passport for the original visa
your extensions refer to. If you have been issued a new passport since then they will have entered a stamp with the initial visa details. Post pix here.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I first came here on a O-A retirement from my own country.
After one year I crossed into Cambodia and came back into Thailand. At the end of that second year I went to immigration and got an extension to that visa.
I have been on extensions since then.
I am doing extensions now. It is no longer a visa

• Like 1

I first came here on a O-A retirement from my own country.
After one year I crossed into Cambodia and came back into Thailand. At the end of that second year I went to immigration and got an extension to that visa.
I have been on extensions since then.
I am doing extensions now. It is no longer a visa

Same for me and no doubt many others .

The danger is our respective IO’s might have other ideas and cause grief .