The Procrustean bed for retirees.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I have resisted getting into this thread. Its all "what if"

The term "long stay" is a tag attached to O-A. 

Just because expats using annual extensions are living here ...long stay, does not mean the possible insurance applies to them. 

Just been assured by a friend of mine who's been living here on extensions for 10 years that it will never apply to him because the Nation story only talks about new visas and "renewals", and he's on an "extension", a completely different thing. Mind you, he also thinks the 90-day report has something to do with his extensions as well ????

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're over 55 you can get a VISA 1 month ($30) & 3 month ($100) single entries, with the 6 month ($150) and 12 month ($280) VISAs being multi entry and no financials, investments, insurance, address reporting or 90 day reporting BS. No need to ever visit immigration either, all done through high street agents.

The only catch, you have to enter on a $35 ordinary VISA to get the extensions.

The $30 tourist VISA and eVISA they won't allow long term extension.

thanks for that info.

Maybe an option: Get 1st multiple entry for Thailand from home country, nearly 8 months stay.

Then travel over border in Isaan for getting ME for Cambodia.

then back home for short stay, rinse and repeat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because this is about the new insurance requirements which only apply to OA (and OX) visas.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In your opinion.  I think it applies to extensions.  Two opinions.  Nothing has been announced by the Thai government.  Two people reading the same information.  Two different opinions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nothing has been announced by the Thai government.

It was actually announced on the Department of Public Health (in Thai) website last mont after the cabinet approved it.

There is a link to the site in on of the news articles about it. 

According to the announcement on the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) website, it does not affect anyone who stays in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement, which is often incorrectly referred to as a ‘retirement visa’.

If it is only for O-A, then people will ditch O-A and get extension. Won't they know that is happening and then Chang to all extensions. I think it is coming as soon as O-As start changing to extensions.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They are different things. OA visas can only be applied for at an overseas Consulate or Embassy and give the holder 1 year (longer if they use the entries cleverly). Extensions of Stay based on retirement are applied for at an Immigration office in Thailand and have financial requirements. You need a visa (O or OA) in order to do this.

They are different things. OA visas can only be applied for at an overseas Consulate or Embassy and give the holder 1 year (longer if they use the entries cleverly). Extensions of Stay based on retirement are applied for at an Immigration office in Thailand and have financial requirements. You need a visa (O or OA) in order to do this.

I know what is an O-A because I have an O-A. My question is why somebody will get an O-A if only O-A requires insurance? Anybody can get an extension after coming to Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt. I get O-A because I don't like dealing with immigration and keeping money in a Thai bank. I can hire an agent and avoid dealing with immigration. Money wise hiring an agent is cheaper than buying insurance.

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I know what is an O-A because I have an O-A. My question is why somebody will get an O-A if only O-A requires insurance? Anybody can get an extension after coming to Thailand on a tourist visa or visa exempt. I get O-A because I don't like dealing with immigration and keeping money in a Thai bank. I can hire an agent and avoid dealing with immigration. Money wise hiring an agent is cheaper than buying insurance.

No reason at all, that's why the new mandatory insurance requirement is not for O-A only.  There only seem to be 3 or 4 people posting here who have figured that out. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

If I was the OP I'd consider the METV and time it so the out of Thailand period is during the hot smoky season in Chiang Mai.

A few people in my building left for other environs from March through May, yet they kept their rooms.

Yes, it is one of the options I am considering. I'm not aware the Philippines has too much smog once one is out of Manila.

The OA gives you a year (plus another year if you use it right) whereas extensions on other visas are only for another 30 days or if you require a yearly extension, have financial requirements.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 5/15/2019 at 8:19 AM, Jingthing said:

It really isn't as crystal clear as that especially going forward. 

Eventually it will be extended to everything resembling "Long-Term-Stay". Applying only to O-A' s, disregarding all the rest of other "Long-Term-Stay" options??? No way! Even considering the "volatility" of recent Thai Immigration Legislation.

- It does not need the talents of a Romanian Clairvoyant Gipsy to see what's coming!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It was actually announced on the Department of Public Health (in Thai) website last mont after the cabinet approved it. There is a link to the site in on of the news articles about it. 

What then is the "visa renewal" mentioned when "Saowapa Jongkittipong, who leads the Health Service Support Department’s International Health Division" says "“Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal,” ? http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369468

15 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

"“Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal,”

People who already have a OA Visa, (which was  obtained without health insurance requirement), and apply for a new one, will need to show health insurance. 

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

With an O-A, there is no requirement to hold funds in a Thai bank account, or have income every month above 65K baht. The extensions do.

The O-A visa requires show of equivalent funds, just not in a Thai bank account

54 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The O-A visa requires show of equivalent funds, just not in a Thai bank account

I didn't know that. Learn something every day. Having said that, how are the Thai authorities going to get cost recovery from an overseas account?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on what the authorities are trying to do. With an O-A, there is no requirement to hold funds in a Thai bank account, or have income every month above 65K baht. The extensions do.

Perhaps the Thai government is more sensible than we think. They know elderly retirees won't be able to get health insurance; however, having either assets or income means they have some assurance with cost recovery.

But then, I'm an optimist. But still believe in keeping my powder dry.

for O-A visa you need show equivalent of 800,000 in your home country bank account

yea, BUT if you drop below 800,000 for 5 months or below 400,000 for the other 7 you cant get another extension.

so really you cant use the money in the thai bank for anything , IF you want stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They can't. Also income can be used instead.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you sure of that? I think there are legal pathways to recover child support from US citizens but my memory has lapses now and then. Maybe other countries as well. But this an interesting question that would fall under individual countries (or possibly as EU) agreements concerning taxes trade and the like as I think those agreements is where they bury the details.