The Procrustean bed for retirees.

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

At this rate you'll end up living in a shoe box on a rubbish dump or perhaps a golf course.

Nothing wrong with living on a golf course, it's a big selling point with the real estate industry.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

From yesterday's news articles I understand that your Australian health insurance would have to provide cover for treatment in Thailand. If it does not, your presumption is correct.

To my knowledge your private health insurance only covers you in Australia, I would contact the company concerned and ask the question

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I avoided Cambodia for the last ten years because of everyone badmouthing it.

Then a pal moved there this year, I went to see him January in Siem Reap and loved the place.

Then I went to see him April in Phnom Penh again totally loved the place.

I can't believe I avoided it for 9 years .......... it was like Thailand when i first arrived ten years back.

I will try Siem Reap at some point. I was in Phnom Penh for a month and thought it was okay but a bit primitive ... too many people peeing on the street for my liking. The new Japanese mall was pretty good. The one thing that would trouble me is the state of the hospitals should you have an accident. But for a month it's fine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

For me, a problem with Oz is - it's boring after one has lived there most of one's life. SE Asia is a cheaper and more exciting place to live.

I suppose I could work out a plan for three months in each destination - Thailand, Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia in terms of best logistics. Despite my age, I'm still reasonably fit and strong. It's the mental aspect of constantly uprooting myself which would concern me more.

I quite enjoy minimalist living, and the travelling is okay once you build up places that you know and like ... once you land you know where everything is and you can get back in a routine, even if only for a month or two. You need to be fit and active though. At some point I will stop and settle back home or somewhere in Europe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

At age 76, I am unlikely to get the new mandated health insurance IF it passes into law. AND Immigration insists on applying it to retirement visa extensions of stay. I have top level private health cover in Australia, which is presumably worth nothing in the eyes of Thai officialdom. One size fits all.

So that raises a few questions, such as:

1/ Can I get a different visa, and go back to border hopping? Without insurance and the 800K deposit BS?

2/ If my extension of stay is denied, how long would I have to get out of Thailand?

3/ What kind of lead time should I allow to sell my possessions here? E.g. Car, Scooter etc.?

4/ Most importantly, what is the best way to remove the cash I have here back to Australia? Or to a more retiree-friendly country?

Constructive suggestions welcome.

1. You could get an METV from Australia which would give you 3 x 60 days, extend the 1st 2 by 30 days & do a Border bounce just before the end of the last 60 days & you'll get almost 8 months, an SETV from one of the neighboring countries can get you another 90 days & you're entitled to 2 Land Entry 30 day visa exempts which would more than cover the year.

2. 7 Days - Any rejection for an extension results in getting a 7 day extension to give you time to leave the county

3. How long is a piece of string? All depends on price, am sure you could firesale them quite quickly but a reasonable price might take much longer

4. DeeMoney - https://www.dee.money 

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

1. You could get an METV from Australia which would give you 3 x 60 days, extend the 1st 2 by 30 days & do a Border bounce just before the end of the last 60 days & you'll get almost 8 months, an SETV from one of the neighboring countries can get you another 90 days & you're entitled to 2 Land Entry 30 day visa exempts which would more than cover the year.

2. 7 Days - Any rejection for an extension results in getting a 7 day extension to give you time to leave the county

3. How long is a piece of string? All depends on price, am sure you could firesale them quite quickly but a reasonable price might take much longer

4. DeeMoney - https://www.dee.money 

I am getting a lot of useful advice on this thread, thank you everyone. I'm not in panic stations as my extension is not until November. However, I do believe in researching options extensively well beforehand, and not at the last minute.

I researched SE Asia for six months in Australia before I came to Thailand ten years ago. Even learned a smattering of Thai. Now reasonably fluent. If it happens, I along with many others will be a bit pissed off if we have to start again with more languages.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It really isn't as crystal clear as that especially going forward. 

What is crystal clear going forward is the visa ship is only moving in one direction and that direction is constant tightening....I fully expect their health care scam to be applied to all visas eventually and with a Thai only option for insurance....If the retired frogs are cooked to fast they might revolt....

• Like 2

1. You could get an METV from Australia which would give you 3 x 60 days, extend the 1st 2 by 30 days & do a Border bounce just before the end of the last 60 days & you'll get almost 8 months,

With an METV you can get almost 9 months, most i got was 8 months 3 weeks. But not as easy to get as a SETV, depending how strict the consulate is
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'd get the 1 year VISA in Cambodia and base myself there PP or SR, then you can easily visit Thailand, Laos and Vietnam just using the bus or train.

I agree with that but the issue is if your border hop to much, your going to get a red stamp sooner or later. I am just seeing a raft of red stamps on certain Facebook pages these days.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I agree with that but the issue is if your border hop to much, your going to get a red stamp sooner or later. I am just seeing a raft of red stamps on certain Facebook pages these days.

Thai border says 2 waivers per year, can't imagine wanting to visit more often than that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The only problem I have with your suggestion - and I'm not knocking it - is for all we know the Thai bureaucracy will declare it as a rort, and impose more requirements. It's called shifting the goalposts.

That is why I'm saying getting it now. If staying in Thailand you get an extension at Imm once a year for 1900 baht. You would have to leave Thailand once a year and reenter but with the visa in you passport it would be 6 years not having to worry about extensions and shifting goalposts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Date Masamune said:

That is why I'm saying getting it now. If staying in Thailand you get an extension at Imm once a year for 1900 baht. You would have to leave Thailand once a year and reenter but with the visa in you passport it would be 6 years not having to worry about extensions and shifting goalposts.

Why would somebody respond "confused" to this? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

When I retired I minimalized down to what I could fit into my Ute for an 15 month road trip around Oz. Then when I moved here it all fitted into a large backpack and suitcase, a small carry on case and a camera bag. As I pack up my condo for a move to Ubon I’ve realized that I still have that much, plus a girlfriend. Trouble is she has another 2 suitcases and 12 packing boxes ..... so far.

If I ever had to move back to Oz I would be going back on the road with the grey nomads again, a small mobile home would be enough for me.

I sure you have noticed women treat vehicles like large handbags, and do their best to fill them up. IMHO it's something to do with nesting.

I started here with a suitcase, a small laptop and a set of golf clubs ten years ago. Assuming the worst, I can do it again elsewhere.

I am wondering what landlords here are going to do if/when their tenant pool shrinks. I don't know about elsewhere in Thailand; however, Chiang Mai seems to have plenty of units available for rent. The Chinese are herded into hotels on package tours, so I can't see them filling the void.

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

With an METV you can get almost 9 months, most i got was 8 months 3 weeks. But not as easy to get as a SETV, depending how strict the consulate is

Thanks, I forgot that you can extend the last 60 days by 30 & get a re-entry permit so you can get the extra month ????

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Non immigrant "O-A" long stay visa. Obtained in ones home country. Multiple entry. Not to be confused with non o based on such things as retirement, marriage, dependent Thai child etc. 

Not stricly true.  Please see para 3 of the attachment by Ratcatcher, where it says it can be done in Thai Embassy/Consulate overseas or Thai Immigration Office at Laksi, Bangkok.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Non immigrant "O-A" long stay visa. Obtained in ones home country. Multiple entry. Not to be confused with non o based on such things as retirement, marriage, dependent Thai child etc. 

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. 

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thai border says 2 waivers per year, can't imagine wanting to visit more often than that.

two LAND BORDER visa exempts /year

does not mention flying in;

with a 1 year Cambodian extension,  i doubt u'd be questioned if you visited Thailand 1 week every month

16 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

False info that has been on the MFA website for many years. I think they meant an extension of stay not a OA visa. A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official consulate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

two LAND BORDER visa exempts /year

does not mention flying in;

with a 1 year Cambodian extension,  i doubt u'd be questioned if you visited Thailand 1 week every month

Our conversation was about train and bus journeys ...... I don't think either of those two vehicles can fly.

I have been under the impression the Non-immigrant O-A is the starting point of the retirement visa, and ensuing extensions of stay. So it depends on whether Thai officialdom interprets the medical insurance requirement as flowing on from the original O-A.
No. The starting point for an Extension based on Retirement is an O visa.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I lived in Siem Reap for 5 years before I came here 3 years ago. I miss Cambodia and Siem Reap every day, but I now have a lovely Thai girl and a lifestyle that suits me perfectly. My plan was to die here (hopefully not too soon!).

Cambodia was always my plan B, but now I am trying to find out what the visa rules are to take my 40 year old gf with me long term. So far it looks like the best option is for her to go to English school on an ES Student visa. The only other option would be for her to get a job, which, even with my many contacts there, would be very difficult. Her English is basic and her Khmer obviously non-existent. I need to explore further options. Or maybe there is a better country for her than Cambodia?

It's worth noting too that Cambodia is following Thailand in visa changes. My 5 years there were so easy visa-wise but now it's not so straightforward, and probably more changes eventually.

I hate uncertainty and this place is full of it now.

• Like 1