Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

"According to Saowapa, this requirement is necessary because medical treatments provided  to many elderly long-time foreign residents have weighed heavily on the state coffers"

... and just how much did foreign residents put into said coffers again?

Anyway, this is all just a smokescreen for the weeding out of the unsavouries. While I might agree with cleaning the place up; careful what you wish for, Muang Thai. You might wake up one day and wonder where it all went wrong.

what they put in pays for the services they receive. health care is an extra that has to be paid for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, pmh2009 said:

yeah dem westerners on Youtube asking and begging for money for their medical bills!!! thanks a lot dudes!!!!!

Right on mate!

a bloody disgrace!

lousy tip rat thieving visitors stealing medical services and leaving the burden on the state and the people.

disgraceful!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I struggle to understand all the figures given in this article ??

Mainly:

Surely that is fully incorrect. I would bet tens or hundreds thousands at max, no?

38 million is more than half the population of Thailand? Not possible. Someone needs a fact check. IF there are 38 million add 10 baht to every visa app and it more than pays for the unpaid med bills. Hell, add 100 baht no one will notice. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hockeybik said:

38 million is more than half the population of Thailand? Not possible. Someone needs a fact check. IF there are 38 million add 10 baht to every visa app and it more than pays for the unpaid med bills. Hell, add 100 baht no one will notice. 

by that logic might as well add 100,000.. oh wait..$%$#%##

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ryane66 said:

I am quite sure that the problem of unpaid hospital bills is from tourists not long stay visa holders. If these officials had the ability to think and come up with a logical solution there would be no problem. All they need to do is add a small hospital tax to every international ticket. 100 baht and 38 million visitors and they would have 10 times more than their purported losses.

exactly

and how many of these unpaid bills are down to disputes of poor professionalism from the hospitals .

From my years here I not seen many retired or long timers not paying bills, it more common from short stayers ...

Got love the numbers too, if over half the population are old farang that be funny lol ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, the guest said:

It's very simple ... all tourists if they apply for VOA, include a mandatory fee for insurance to be paid on arrival. For long stayers, they must provide proof of insurance before visa is approved. Solution is easy !

I think you just hit the OA on the head with a V. Now VOA makes better sense for numbers, but if that's the case then why are they or would be attacking retirees on OA? Hatred?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

Just another reason why I am so glad that I have left thailand and now back in my home country where all of my medical expenses are covered by the government.!!!

Ok.. Have a good day then....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

all of this over 300 MILLION baht! have they lost their marbles

Rhetorical question, eh?

When they use obviously "bogus" numbers - i.e. 38 million, hmm... lets do the math, 38M with a visa fee of USD $200 = USD $7,600,000,000 more than enough to cover the "unpaid" or should we refer to them as the "paid in advance" medical bills.

9 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Agree the hospitals can send the bill to Thai Immigration and grab the foreigners to pay up or leave. Don,t punish everyone because of these losers.

Its not a punishment. Its going to be a requirement.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1