Miracle win offers Australian PM authority and government stability

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

No surprise at all. It's quite natural that one protects his home; It is hard earned and selfishness has nothing to do with it.  And the number of inhabitants of a particular country/city makes hardly a difference.

No one was suggesting a person's home is under threat by any party. Shorten was talking to a fairer form of tax to fund matters such as increased health care, better dental care for pensioners etc etc; obviously a very long shot considering most people only look to themselves. Morrison, unless stopped in the Senate, has promised tax cuts of roughly AUD$180 billion which would mean further cuts to government spending.

Just now, Orton Rd said:

I was agreeing with you that they are. I don't have to back up a 'claim' that they are meant to go to the first safe country, which is almost never Australia.

Which recognised safe country considering most come from Malaysia / China?

Plenty of safe countries nearer to Malaysia than Australia, get a map. The Chinese can go to Taiwan, except the Muslims running away, they need to go to an Islamic country, also nearer than Australia, I would suggest Indonesia. Don't think they are great on handouts though are they.

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Plenty of safe countries nearer to Malaysia than Australia, get a map. The Chinese can go to Taiwan, except the Muslims running away, they need to go to an Islamic country, also nearer than Australia, I would suggest Indonesia. Don't think they are great on handouts though are they.

Last post as Mods will step in. Indonesia is not a Safe Country for asylum seekers - look up the definition of Safe Country below...yes the Council is credible

https://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/country-shopping/

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

He sure is, this is based on "protecting religious people" read christian, he is also fundamentalist christian, background in advertising, former immigration minister who :turned back the boats, and consequently have UN approved refugees in camps on Nauru and Manus Island for over a decade. But happy claps each Sunday.

We live in interesting times.

If he is the guy that turned back the boats, good for him. Probably saved hundreds if not thousands of lives by doing so.

Even "UN approved refugees" do not have the right to jump the queue.

Re the OP, who actually believes in those polls anyway? Load of BS, IMO. They ask a few people and based on those answers claim to know what millions more will vote.

Good to see them with the proverbial egg on face though.

On climate change, the firm response from Nth Queensland needs to be absorbed: All politics is local, and noone - not you, not me, not anyone - is going to vote to have their own job abolished, with no workable alternative, for the sake of saving the planet.

And having the spoiled brats of the bourgeoisie come to lecture the workers of the outer suburbs or the mining towns on morality doesn't go down too well.

41 minutes ago, simple1 said:

No one was suggesting a person's home is under threat by any party. Shorten was talking to a fairer form of tax to fund matters such as increased health care, better dental care for pensioners etc etc; obviously a very long shot considering most people only look to themselves. Morrison, unless stopped in the Senate, has promised tax cuts of roughly AUD$180 billion which would mean further cuts to government spending.

IMO, Labour's past was against them. Who can forget Gillard- scarred for life from her, and the whole boats fiasco.

Governments should not be allowed to waste money, which they are fond of doing, so tax cuts always a good idea.

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

On climate change, the firm response from Nth Queensland needs to be absorbed: All politics is local, and noone - not you, not me, not anyone - is going to vote to have their own job abolished, with no workable alternative, for the sake of saving the planet.

And having the spoiled brats of the bourgeoisie come to lecture the workers of the outer suburbs or the mining towns on morality doesn't go down too well.

Agreed, but can I point out that the planet will be fine without any people on it. So, not "saving the planet" at all; just keeping people alive to carry on exterminating other species.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Try some contextual comprehension. I was not referencing middle class welfare, but factual info regards NewStart, plus relevant to those reliant on Age Pension and likely other forms of welfare e.g. disability.

Correct. Age pensioners get an armchair ride at Centrelink, compared to the hoops Newstart applicants have to jump through for a significantly lower benefit. Having to apply for 100 jobs a month in order to prove they were seeking work was pure bastardry. Don't know what the required rate of job application is now.

2 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

"The warning from Scott Morrison that Bill Shorten ignored"

Most pertinent to us old farts:
"The retirees were long-time Labor voters but after hearing Mr Morrison’s comments about Labor’s changes to superannuation they told news.com.au they might switch to Liberal."

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/the-warning-from-scott-morrison-that-bill-shorten-ignored/news-story/45751965a43f40a8edc5dc353764bf73

Morrison did a scare campaign, just like Abbott did with Gillard/Rudd. Retirees were gullible enough to swallow it. Factually, Shorten had exempted age pensioners and part pensioners from the abolition of franking credit refunds, so it was only self-funded retirees that were affected.

Labor's mistake was trying to do too much in terms of policy at once, thus giving Morrison multiple targets.

The Liberals were a small target because they had no policies.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Morrison did a scare campaign, just like Abbott did with Gillard/Rudd. Retirees were gullible enough to swallow it. Factually, Shorten had exempted age pensioners and part pensioners from the abolition of franking credit refunds, so it was only self-funded retirees that were affected.

Labor's mistake was trying to do too much in terms of policy at once, thus giving Morrison multiple targets.

This was the ALP's version of Hewson's Fightback. Hewson lost in 1993; the ALP lost in 2019. There is nothing new under the sun

40 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The campaign was based on facts! The proposed changes would have been disadvantageous for my personal income stream and yes, I am one of those "guillible" (LOL)  self-funded retiree. You just can not take away a legislated gift from the elderly abruptly. Changes must be implemented thoughtfully. The election result speaks for itself...

49 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

The campaign was based on facts! The proposed changes would have been disadvantageous for my personal income stream and yes, I am one of those "guillible" (LOL)  self-funded retiree. You just can not take away a legislated gift from the elderly abruptly. Changes must be implemented thoughtfully. The election result speaks for itself...

Everyone has their own agendas with respect to who they give their vote to, and the hip-pocket nerve features quite strongly.

Unfortunately, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater. Labor had a lot of meritorious proposals. Now the major parties in Australia, either in power or in opposition, will focus on making themselves the smallest target possible for at least the next decade. While they are doing that, no progress can made in addressing inequities and distortions in the Australian taxation system.

Gullible? Yes. Because the people who voted the Coalition back in cannot see the bigger picture. That lack of vision, and entrenched conservatism, is going to bite us down the track.

I'm a retiree too. Not self-funded, but not far off. Do you really think younger generations of Australians are going to thank us for dudding them? But I forgot - you're all right, Jack.

6 hours ago, Thakkar said:

After bequeathing them a damaged planet, the olds continue to screw over the young every which way.  

Keep soaking up the divisive propaganda. It keeps politicians in clover.

3 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

Factually, Shorten had exempted age pensioners and part pensioners from the abolition of franking credit refunds, so it was only self-funded retirees that were affected.

Why would you want to take away a benefit that allows people to self fund their retirement and not be a burden on the nation. 

In addition If the government is running a surplus which they claim to be doing then they should be cutting taxes.

4 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

I am glad you used the term GIFT as opposed to a right. 

We cannot increase the NewStart allowances but we give gifts to middle class in so many ways

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he is the guy that turned back the boats, good for him. Probably saved hundreds if not thousands of lives by doing so.

Even "UN approved refugees" do not have the right to jump the queue.

Re the OP, who actually believes in those polls anyway? Load of BS, IMO. They ask a few people and based on those answers claim to know what millions more will vote.

Good to see them with the proverbial egg on face though.

Please tell me where the queue is for those whose homes have been bombed and the soldiers are killing them.

Turned back the boats mm interesting, but those who arrive by plane are allowed to remain in Australia while they are processed, they do not speak about those arriving by plane. The enormous cost of maintaining people offshore is offensive.

14 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

It's the economy, stupid! ????

The Australian share market has soared after the Liberal's win.

Don,t know any on Newstart who own shares but I’m stupid..Ps do you get tax refund after paying no tax? Now that’s stupid!

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Don,t know any on Newstart who own shares but I’m stupid..Ps do you get tax refund after paying no tax? Now that’s stupid!

That's the franking credits Labor was talking about, and some one in here referred to as a GIFT, as the company pays the tax, but the owner of the shares gets it refunded.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am glad you used the term GIFT as opposed to a right. 

We cannot increase the NewStart allowances but we give gifts to middle class in so many ways

Yes the gift was a tax return for paying no tax! Now that’s a gift I never got after 50 years work

Let me explain the franking bit with an example, at least as I understand it (sigh): Every year I receive income from my Telstra shares, usually about AUD200. Every year I declare them as income on my tax return. And every year I don't have to pay any tax on them because TELSTRA HAS ALREADY PAID THE TAX. It's called a 'franking credit' - that is, I receive credit for the tax because the tax has already been certified paid by Telstra.

It's not a 'gift' and it's not a tax reduction or a tax refund. It's just a recognition that the tax has already been paid & doesn't need to be paid twice!

Archived