Outstanding fines to block car registration renewal

snoop1130

Hilarious that the country is apparently having regulations most country’s had 50 years ago ! Of course thousands will just ignore and hope to “get away with it “ ! Thai drivers usually just bin pieces of paper they don’t like and nothing ever happens !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

yeah.....must have eyes like Daktairi.....the crossed eyed LION !!

That was Clarence the cross-eyed lion ???? .

Bloody hell, how did I remember that!! Daktari was a programme I liked as a kid - how many decades ago???? 

Isn't it strange how an insignificant, distant memory can be jogged by a single word!

• Like 1

I first took out a licence 15 years ago and changed abode several times since then. I don't recall ever giving current address when re-newing. I bought my current car, new, in Esaan in 2015 and don't live there now. The blue book has passport number and name but no address. So unless they contact IO I'm not going to get any fines till I go to get my disc maybe to find fines which are not mine but without details. 

Edited by Lemonltr
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Our system is now linked with the traffic-fine database

If traffic fines are on a "system" now why don't the police visit the house to where the owner is recorded as staying & get them to pay-up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Pay the fine or don't renew the registration.  Can't imagine how that's gonna turn out

Well, that was funny, but they would have to sell the vehicle, right? 

Maybe the fines would not spill over to the transfer department though lol.

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If they cannot get their cars,trucks taxed,because of outstanding

tickets, there's going to be many more vehicles on the road without

insurance  !!!!,

regards Worgeordie

Without being registered too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still miles behind the rest of the world as this has been carried out in many countries for decades.

Has anyone told these guys most don't register their motorbikes or cars, and if stopped at a roadside blockade, they pay as they go, or turn around, no police pursuit or pay cash.

In the last two weeks when I was in Udon Thani a province in the north-east of Thailand, I was pulled over for turning right from the middle lane and turning to a centre lane from a left only turning lane on both occasions the fine was 200 baht and on both occasions the wife handed the guy 100 baht and we were on our way, so I cannot see how this is going to work unless the cops do their jobs properly and get out from behind their desks or the Karaoke bars that they own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Maybe it's not a mistake.  Maybe they will switch to round stickers. Anyone displaying old square stickers may highlight old expired or soon to expire registration. You know make it easier for the BIB to target where to find brown envelopes.

if only Thai's drank Guinness.guness_tax_disc.png.990175c8a785c59551b52e337ab868eb.png

4 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

Pay the fine or don't renew the registration.  Can't imagine how that's gonna turn out

I can. Every police check I've been through. the only thing they are looking for is the registration SQUARE ???? in the window.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can. Every police check I've been through. the only thing they are looking for is the registration SQUARE ???? in the window.

Yeap....in the checkpoints I go thru all the time over here in western Bangkok and surrounding area it's very obviously the police are looking for the registration sticker...looking to see if you have one or it's expired....I mean they are staring at the corners of your  windshield looking for the sticker.   As soon as you get close enough for them to clearly see the sticker....and see it's not expired...they then waive you on thru.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"From October 1, vehicle owners need to pay all traffic fines or they will be denied the right to secure round stickers that prove they have renewed their registration." ***

***Caveat - Not applicable to those driving the following vehicles:
High-end BMW

High-end Mercedes-Benz
Lamborghini

Lotus

Porsche

all other expensive luxury vehicles

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

The same happens to you if you rent a house with outstanding bills for telephone (landline) or electric bills.

Really? Didn't know that. Don't think it'll happen to me/us, but still, handy to know.

• Like 1

The stickers used to be round, some while back. They were called Bai wong-ghom "ป้ายวงกลม". The phrase has stuck. I wonder if there are other languages where well-known phrases don't keep up with the real world...

I like the system in Singapore. You get issued a fine for speeding or like me, parking a bike on the sidewalk. Pay within ten days or the fine multiplies by ten! Fail to pay within the second ten days and it goes up by a factor of ten again, and you will go to the clink for a while - no exceptions except for those out of the country. Any takers on what percentage of fines go unpaid during the first ten days?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

I first took out a licence 15 years ago and changed abode several times since then. I don't recall ever giving current address when re-newing. I bought my current car, new, in Esaan in 2015 and don't live there now. The blue book has passport number and name but no address. So unless they contact IO I'm not going to get any fines till I go to get my disc maybe to find fines which are not mine but without details. 

I remember awhile ago when there was talk about the different immigration points to enter Thailand would link up via the net .

Some people said it will never happen and how will we go about cheating the system?

Now that is a fact of life and already fingerprint scans are being used.

The government will not let all this unpaid money from traffic fines remain unpaid.What is the point in that?So people would learn not to make that mistake again?

In many countries cars are a fine milking cow and it brings in a lot of money!!

Thailand will catch on!

At a traffic stop the first thing police will look at is your license plate,the second thing is the tax sticker.If you are a local and you have the sticker they usually wave you thru.

No address?They will find you sooner or later.

In my home country they will not let you leave if you have an unpaid ticket or a tax bill.

Not nice to have to pay that first on your way to have a nice holiday but fair i guess.

Edited by jvs

5 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap....in the checkpoints I go thru all the time over here in western Bangkok and surrounding area it's very obviously the police are looking for the registration sticker...looking to see if you have one or it's expired....I mean they are staring at the corners of your  windshield looking for the sticker.   As soon as you get close enough for them to clearly see the sticker....and see it's not expired...they then waive you on thru.  

Yes, the only time I have been waved to the side is when I had forgotten to replace the sticker. Fortunately I had photocopied the updated registration and insurance details and kept them in the glove box.

My minister for war and other uncalled for conflicts believes all fines incurred prior to the linking are ‘forgiven’ according to what she heard from some plod on the tv. Must be true as 1) it was on the telly & 2) a member of Thailand’s finest said it. Both unimpeachable sources. Not wishing to enter into the umpteenth arguement of the day by expressing an opinion on anything I remained schtum. 

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea.  But maybe the news reporter don't even own a vehicle...not really familiar with the registration sticker...he saw a bunch of round govt emblems on the sticker and decided to call it the round sticker.  The quality of Nation news reporting has always been weak.

Do we have to listen to your silly assumptions also Pid.

What happens with my situation; 5 times I have been issued with a speeding tickets. The car was mine over 18 months ago, I part exchanged for my new car,  still I get these fines through the post.   I've notified the police. I've filled a form in. I have notified some members of my wife's family who are police. I have also notified the garage I bought the car. but still I keep receiving these tickets the only person who doesn't realize he has committed an offence is the guy who has my old car. Every one keeps telling me not to worry . Apparently here in Thailand When you sell your car on the ownership doesn't change . What if this guy kills someone "Oh I'm not worried but I could be". "I wait in anticipation" .

Edited by MickeyR

11 hours ago, connda said:

"Round sticker???"  ????

images.jpeg.ad5b51b9915bab0c8ff25c5131b9b056.jpeg

...might have been meaning the magic 'magnetic vinyl' clear plastic Thailand Map circle backing, that holds the rego card in place?