The Police Are Photographing Us.

If its the case of being only for visa filers on a marriage visa, it makes total sense. In the US, the government does the same thing if you have a foreign spouse. They just want to make sure the marriage is real. If this is not the case, I would worry.

If its the case of being only for visa filers on a marriage visa, it makes total sense. In the US, the government does the same thing if you have a foreign spouse. They just want to make sure the marriage is real. If this is not the case, I would worry.

Yes, yes ,we know that, and check on married couple have been commonplace for 10 years...........

But the questionaire and photos are quite new.

They have photos on the application.

Why do it again??

No one has mentioned here the fact that all Thai citizens are photgraphed and their vital statitics taken for the ID card.

It sounds like that the powers that be are documenting all non-residents who are here long term.

We can bang on all day and night about the right to privacy here (and I am in two minds about this myself), but it seems to me that people are simply being put into the system, for better or worse.

One final point, a little off topic, I've always thought that for those on stays longer than 90 days here, they should be issued with some sort of official temp ID card, similar to what is done in Sing or HK. It would be a very useful little piece of plastic for all holders.

Why do it again??

Why does Immigration require Passport Fotos on each and every extension, or Reentry ermit, when they take Webcam shots of you the same time? And why does the labour dept. require copies of the same documents each and every time you extend or amend your WP?

Its probably so because they have no idea how to find the masses of collected information, as they obviously have no clue how to archive them properly.

Sunny

Why does Immigration require Passport Fotos on each and every extension, or Reentry ermit, when they take Webcam shots of you the same time? And why does the labour dept. require copies of the same documents each and every time you extend or amend your WP?

Its probably so because they have no idea how to find the masses of collected information, as they obviously have no clue how to archive them properly.

Sunny

I think you are right there.

I had this discussion in Sri Lanka some 15 years ago.

They wanted to rationalise their id card system and computerise it.

People had all sorts of id cards, government, company, national etc with corresponding paper work to

back them up.

The really hot potato was what to do with all that OLD documentation.............

once they started the computer based system.

I expect LOS has whole buildings full of all the forms we have filled in over the years.

It is a pity they do not learn from their own passport issuing system.

All the documents are scanned straight into the system, no photocopies needed.

Even photos are taken electronically, to be printed straight in the passport.

On subsequent visits all they have to do is pull up the relevant documents on the screen.

I do hope they make regular backups of the data. :o

All but not least they will proberly have a reason why they do this and I asume they will tell why they do it and what to do with it,maybe the OP can tell this??

Bannock was very close in his explaination about the questionaire. They were also handing out invitations to the "Thai Wives" meeting held at the Karin Hotel in Udon on the 10th. Apparently it was arranged to explain legal matters and other things to those interested.

This is not associated with the Immigration Dept arranged visit by the BiB to verify your status re 1 year visa extensions, as I stated they are trying to see everyone and from what I can gather thus far it's basically an effort to improve BiB - Farang relations??? :o

same in Europe!

same in Europe!

If it would be for these reasons,common take those pictures quick,oh yeah next year we will all come to take our residence papers for free!!!I mean like in the west huh..........If we got something back also........

I am thinking it just good be a provincial thing,maybe in issaan the head of police thought it would be a good thing and it is nothing nationwide,its something to look at later on....

You know sometimes I think we have to much time something most of us have never experienced before and we Tink To Much :o

I used my little encounter to try to make friends now everytime I drive by thier little office I get a waive and a smile.

Farrangs with privacy now that is a unique thought. Every Thai living in your area knows when you sneeeze.

Photos, questionaires are we used that that not hardly, but can we really control that or what they do with them? I doubt it.

Yes it may something very sinister, but on the other hand it may not be. I'm willing to bet the cop doing the work has no real idea why he is doing it other then someone told him to.

Why do it again??

Sunny

If they streamlined and rationalised everythng, how many thousands would be out of a job ?

Especially jobs for those who produce, distribute, sell and service Photocopying Equipment .... :o

Sorry, this is a stupid argument. There are lots of things that could be done productively by those employed at unproductive government offices.

Streamlining to make things more effective and working isn't bad at all. Only when it comes to rationalising with no other aim than cut custs it becomes problematic. And here Thailand has Lightyears to go before it reaches this level. Not in the life of any current Thaivisa Reader!

Sunny

Why do it again??

Sunny

If they streamlined and rationalised everythng, how many thousands would be out of a job ?

No one has mentioned here the fact that all Thai citizens are photgraphed and their vital statitics taken for the ID card.

It sounds like that the powers that be are documenting all non-residents who are here long term.

We can bang on all day and night about the right to privacy here (and I am in two minds about this myself), but it seems to me that people are simply being put into the system, for better or worse.

One final point, a little off topic, I've always thought that for those on stays longer than 90 days here, they should be issued with some sort of official temp ID card, similar to what is done in Sing or HK. It would be a very useful little piece of plastic for all holders.

Never thought about it till you mentioned it but the issueing of a type of ID card like I have in Singapore would be a good idea. At the very least it means you would not (in theory) have to carry your passport.

In Singapore my FIN number is linked to many things ie medical and financial.

Actually I was surprised and taken back by the amount and type of questions our daughters school is asking in their annual "questionnaire". Stuff like, income, education background, job title and descriptions, do we ever argue - if so about what, ... a whole book full of mostly stuff that I as a farang can't see why I should tell the school.

What surprised me even more was that my wife started filling in the replies without a though. When I realized what was going on I white-out'ed most replies. I think my wife still doesn't quite see what is the big deal about privacy, and I suspect that is probably a view shared by most Thai. I think they simply have a very different view of privacy.

Don't forget that we are all photographed when we enter the country (well that was the case in BIA1, not sure about BIA2).

So presumably they are just trying to match up pictures and make sure that the entry photo matches the entry photo and your prior yrs photo.

They should actually try and do it in a few more countries.

There is nothing wrong with the local authorities keeping up to date with who is living in their area.

If it means taking picture, copy of your passport, etc. Why not ?

This is done in all countries I have lived as a foreigner, in some countries (Japan for example) you are required by law to register with the local police within 14 days of your arrival and inform them within 14 days of any chnage in your status (adress, job, passport number, etc.)

You also had to be fingerprinted....they have doen away with that but only recently.

Relax and smile for the foto....and be happy it is them coming to see you from time to time and not you who has to report evry and any changes.

Edited by Krub

Considering how much flak we teachers have taken for the cases where the bad guys have gotten through undocumented (and worked ILLEGALLY as teachers), I'm all for ANYTHING which documents aliens here more thoroughly and effectively- tourists, missionaries, students, non-imm-B, EVERYONE.

"Steven"

A common misconception, I believe. English law is based on case law, not ''common law'', which I don't think exists (in the UK).

Oh yes, it does exist.

Much more basic than "case law" in the US, for example.

See this link.

Ps do not believe all you read in Wikipedia............

I quite possibly stand (sit) corrected.

I never read Wikipedia ... I got it from someone I know who was studying to be a ... lawyer. They were quite insistent that the correct term was ''case law'' and it was quite wrong to refer to it as ''common law'' (they gave reasons). Perhaps things have changed since 1731. Probably not. And they never did became a proper lawyer ...

"Relax and smile for the foto....and be happy it is them coming to see you from time to time and not you who has to report evry and any changes."

I don't mind the visit or the photo, but there is some misinformation in the quoted post.

We do have to report our address every 90 days, even if we haven't moved. We are required to report our address every time we move, and do so within 24 hours. So, any and every change does require us to do something, not just wait around for someone to come and do it for us.

"Relax and smile for the foto....and be happy it is them coming to see you from time to time and not you who has to report evry and any changes."

I don't mind the visit or the photo, but there is some misinformation in the quoted post.

We do have to report our address every 90 days, even if we haven't moved. We are required to report our address every time we move, and do so within 24 hours. So, any and every change does require us to do something, not just wait around for someone to come and do it for us.

Well if you stay at a hotelit will be done for you.

If you stay in your own place it is done once and for all

The 90 days report is done to Immigration and can be done by mail

Not too demanding I think....unless you are on the move every 2 days and do not sleep in hotels which i think is not a majority of us non-Thais

Edited by Krub