How do I buy a car without 6 months of Thai bank history?

Pay a high deposit (so less finance) then they will be more inclined to give you a loan. Had the same problem when buying a house here with wife. Once we increased the part we financed our-self more options became available. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, revgreen said:

neither of us have 6 months of "book bank" history. Suggestions?

If you explain your situation of arriving in the country, you have a Thai wife able to explain to and get letter from bank proving funds.

The car dealer or dealers should accommodate.

Has your wife family who will guarantor.  ??

Do you mean buy a car on finance?

It may be possible with a Thai Guarantor and decent deposit (i.e. 30-40%+).

Or, if you don't mean to buy a car on finance there is no need for the Bank Book details, you can buy outright in cash. 

Another option: Rent a car for 6 months until you have the bank statements etc... but for finance I think you will also need a work permit etc.. 

Edited by richard_smith237

"Wife (Thai) and I just moved here from the US. We desperately need to buy a car, but it's proving quite impossible since neither of us have 6 months of "book bank" history. Suggestions?"

You didn't even state that you wanted to buy it on HP.

I didn't understand the problem from your post ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"Wife (Thai) and I just moved here from the US. We desperately need to buy a car, but it's proving quite impossible since neither of us have 6 months of "book bank" history. Suggestions?"

You didn't even state that you wanted to buy it on HP.

I didn't understand the problem from your post ?

I think thats the problem - although they didn't state it, they want to get the car on finance, hence the need for bank statements. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, johng said:

Buy a cheap second hand car for cash..if you can't afford that then buy a Honda Wave....after 6 months trade in and go buy the "must have" brand new car on finance.

"after 6 months trade in "  I was under the impression trading in here in LOS is rare if not unknown. I might be wrong. It happened once before.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:07 PM, jackdd said:

Just pay cash, no bank account required.

Yes indeed. I wish I had done this. My car ownership was in a Thai name because there was a small amount of credit and eventually I was continually reminded that it was the Thai family's car and not mine - a constant battle!

• Sad 1

I don't understand the problem here. I did not have a bank account when I paid for my car back in 2013. 

I just transfered money from my foreign bank account directly to the car dealer. Paid around 400k for a Nissan . 

No need to keep a Thai bank account for 6 months, someone is lying to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Try leasing. The place next to Makro in Pattaya makes a big thing out of no capital investment. Not tried it, not sure how it works.

Or, pay cash to a dodgy person for a dodgy car, be prepared to lose your dodgy investment.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:17 AM, revgreen said:

Suggestions?

Cash payment...????

If your question was about finance, find a guarantor, or buy a cheap second hand temporary car, or long-term rent/lease a car, until you can prove bank records...????

On 6/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, robblok said:

Pay a high deposit (so less finance) then they will be more inclined to give you a loan.

This is the answer. You have to pay enough that if you default on the loan they can repossess the car sell it at auction and still meet their target profit.

So about 30% down payment. 

I've done that on two work trucks.

...and maybe this...

but for finance I think you will also need a work permit etc.. 

Edited by VocalNeal