Trump says British royal Meghan was 'nasty' to him in new interview

webfact

Trump says British royal Meghan was 'nasty' to him in new interview

2019-06-04T220420Z_1_LYNXNPEF53233_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-NEW-ZEALAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex with Meghan Markle the Duchess of Sussex meet young people from a number of mental health projects operating in New Zealand, at the Maranui Cafe in Wellington, New Zealand October 29, 2018. Ian Vogler/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Donald Trump thinks that Meghan, wife of the British royal Harry, is "very nice" even if she has been "nasty" to him, the U.S. president said in pre-released extracts of a broadcast interview.

The rest of the wide-ranging interview, which ITV said would touch on Iran, climate change and Brexit, will be broadcast on Wednesday.

The former Meghan Markle, a U.S.-born actress and now the Duchess of Sussex, married Prince Harry, a grandson of Queen Elizabeth, last year, having criticised Trump during his 2016 election campaign.

"She's doing a good job. I hope she enjoys her life... I think she's very nice," Trump told ITV's "Good Morning Britain", according to a partial transcript ahead of the broadcast.

"She was nasty to me. And that's OK for her to be nasty. It's not good for me to be nasty to her and I wasn't."

The comments add to confusion surrounding Trump's feelings about the royal.

In an interview with British tabloid the Sun ahead of his trip, Trump was confronted with Meghan's 2016 comment that she would move to Canada if he won the presidency.

Trump said he was unaware she made that comment and said on audio tape: "I didn't know that she was nasty."

The comment sparked renewed criticism of how the president talks about women but he denied calling Meghan nasty in a tweet on Sunday.

He sought to clarify further in the ITV interview.

"I wasn’t referring to she's nasty. I said she was nasty about me. And essentially I didn’t know she was nasty about me," Trump told ITV.

Trump is in Britain for a state visit, which will conclude on Wednesday when he goes to Portsmouth to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings of World War Two.

Trump and his wife Melania dined with the queen and her family on Monday at a state banquet. He toasted the queen at the dinner and on Tuesday described her as a fantastic person.

Trump also had warm words for Harry after meeting him at Buckingham Palace.

"I think he's a terrific guy. The royal family is really nice," Trump told ITV. "He couldn't have been nicer."

(Reporting by Alistair Smout; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-05
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Really, Donald.  You had to get yourself into a kerfuffle with a young woman (as if you don't have enough woman issues in your past), who is a member of the Royal Family of the UK? And now, the media has deemed it newsworthy.  (Maybe they should not, but I'll set that aside.).   Apparently, he realized a bit too late, maybe through an adviser (Ivanka and/or Melania?), that it was not the most presidential way to have handled all of this. 

Even if what she had said was "nasty," it was better to have just let it go and focus on other matters.  Now, he has to talk about this with reporters when he could be advancing his own chosen talking points.  As if things have gotten so slow at his job that he needed to add an extra issue.

On the bright side, with his recent attempts to smooth things over, perhaps he's learning to think before opening his mouth (God help us!), esp. in public.  I understand that he had been influenced by the very aggressive New York City lawyer, the late Roy Cohn.  I don't know the full details about this, but it may be interesting to look into. 

Edited by helpisgood

36 minutes ago, legend49 said:

What he said? The fact he has lied now twice on the " nasty " comment a word he says he doesnt use. But hold on he said recently, impeachment is a nasty word, he said the Mayor of London was nasty. Dementia wins again.

I am not disputing he's a lair, egomaniac, potential criminal, obvious embarrassment and all round buffon. 

But the "story" being pushed is he directly called her nasty. Which he did not. He said he did not know she had been nasty to him, which is true. Sure one would expect a president to be presidential but thats impossible from this sorry example of a human being. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many people do you like that don't like you?

If I'm President of the United States?

Uhm, all ~ 327 million of them? Or is it 327 million less ~ 63 million?

Was that one of those "trick" "maths" questions?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Having heard the offending clip being analysed yesterday it was pretty clear he's been misquoted.

Not sure what clip YOU listened to. Go to about 45 seconds on this clip, it will play the whole thing in proper context. He called her nasty. It happened.

• Like 2

Whether he said it or not or was misquoted, she also had plenty to say for herself as well.

I am not a Trump fan but find it refreshing the way sometimes he ' says it like it is ' as opposed to other US presidents and British prime ministers that bumble through their terms achieving nothing on the world stage except ' kicking the can down the road ' and leaving problems for the next occupant of the White House or Downing Street.

Regards to her, she is now a member of the British royal family and as such should remain noncontroversial and out of politics.

You can't have all the trappings of British Royalty and then shoot your mouth off as a US actor when it suits you.

The Royal family id there to represent the United Kingdom, if you don't like Donald Trump OK, but in her position, keep your mouth shut. Respect the office of the US president and the USA, even if you don't like the man himself.

There are also a lot of people in the U.K. that actually wish we had a Prime minister who would ' grasp the nettle ' although not in the same fashion, as Donald Trump and admire what he is doing not necessarily in the way he puts it across.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The most divisive of men, I sometimes wonder besides being narcissistic, he seems to have no filters about what he says, or how he says it.

Wonder if he may be on the autism spectrum  as well. Presents with some other traits as well. Just a thought.

I am sure the Duchess will be just shrugging her shoulders, and treating his thoughts and expletives with the contempt they deserve. 

Demence spectrum is more like it.

4 minutes ago, quandow said:

There are too many recordings of him calling her nasty. It happened.

Its you who cannot understand what he said .

I dont know whether people who are still claiming that he called her a nasty person, really cannot understand English sentences , whether they only understand single words in those sentences , or they do understand English  sentences ,  but are just being deceptive  .

Maybe people cannot see the difference between :

*Her comment was nasty*

*Shes a nasty person*

(And no, I will not explain the difference to you )

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Nice walk-back.

Sure, we call it free speech.

The preamble of choice these days when trying to explain the *******-addled comments of trump.

Sure, this is fine for the average Joe, or failed real-estate magnate, but in Presidents? MAybe an ounce of decency, please.

Insulting Ms. Markle (Duchess of Essex) hardly qualifies as a policy achievement.

1. I didn't walk back anywhere.

2. She is a member of the Royal household and therefore not entitled to free speech, the price you pay for the job!

3. I have never been a Trump fan, so this comment is irrelevant.

4. He is getting things done, he may not be doing it in the presidential way you like it or following the rules of predecessors but that is why the Americans chose him, as a change to the norm.

5. I think she is now the Duchess of Sussex, not Essex. Also, I think it was her that ' cast the first stone ' in insults.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The most divisive of men, I sometimes wonder besides being narcissistic, he seems to have no filters about what he says, or how he says it.

Wonder if he may be on the autism spectrum  as well. Presents with some other traits as well. Just a thought.

I am sure the Duchess will be just shrugging her shoulders, and treating his thoughts and expletives with the contempt they deserve. 

Did she move to Canada ? No, like all liberals of her ilk, she stayed and benefited from the Trump economy, all the while complaining about it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1