Need to send money overseas? DeeMoney will be in Pattaya on 7th June

ASEAN NOW Sales

DeeMoney at Mercure Hotel in Pattaya on 7th June

dee.jpg.fd982cd4f49008f6a2f2e5963bb72884.jpg

DeeMoney will be in Pattaya on 7th June.

Register and become a DeeMoney member to use the App to transfer money. You will never need to visit the bank again.

Venue: Mercure Hotel, soi 15, behind Avenue mall

Time: 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Please carry your passport or Thai Id to register

DeeMoney is the financial services platform of Sawasdeeshop. It continues to successfully leverage a combination of Over the Counter (OTC) service at bricks and mortar kiosks around Bangkok and mobile and web app based technology to disrupt the market. The transparent business model provides an effective alternative to the customers who have been using the traditional and informal channels to transfer money.

DeeMoney has been awarded the prestigious Asian Bankers Award for the “Product and service of the year (2019)” in Thailand.

DeeMoney is in an exclusive position of being able to offer convenient, safe and easy money transfer services digitally via the DeeMoney App, and at our signature outlets in Bangkok. We have positioned our services to cut through industry restrictions and regulations that banking channels and other digital platforms use to drive up costs, starting with the traditional tiered fee model. The customer is now able to save 80% on transfer fees compared to banks.”

At present, DeeMoney provides access to 17 countries with 150 baht transfer fee.

Our USPs-

1. Transfer Through App – Save time and send money through our mobile app

2. 150 THB Flat -That’s right – we’re the only ones with a flat fee!

3. Easy Registration- Register once with just one valid ID (passport or Thai ID) and then never walk into a branch again!

4. Exact Transfers- Your recipient gets the exact amount with no deductions

5. Rates Daily You’ll see how much more you’re saving live on our site

For more details visit http://www.deemoney.com

Well, this is good news for those who live in Pattaya as it seems impossible to register for a Dee Money account online without visiting a branch office or an outreach event like this in person.  Not so great news for those who live elsewhere in Thailand, who short of traveling to Bangkok cannot register for an account.  I'm not sure why it's possible to register completely online for a TransferWise account and not do the same for a Dee Money account, but that seems to be the situation.

It would appear from the ad that the operators of this service are from that highly occupied continent. Once in U.K. I paid for motorcycle insurance with a similarly operated company that advertised cheap 3rd party, fire and theft. All was fine until I made a claim, which revealed that the company did not even exist. I emailed this Dee money outfit for information and got no response, a rather strange reaction for a legitimate supposedly looking for customers.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

It would appear from the ad that the operators of this service are from that highly occupied continent. Once in U.K. I paid for motorcycle insurance with a similarly operated company that advertised cheap 3rd party, fire and theft. All was fine until I made a claim, which revealed that the company did not even exist. I emailed this Dee money outfit for information and got no response, a rather strange reaction for a legitimate supposedly looking for customers.

DeeMoney works fine.....I've used them twice to send money to my US bank....easy...fast...funds posted to my US bank account 2 and 3 business days later.  They are licensed by the Bank of Thailand. Be sure to review the DeeMoney website though to see if your home country bank is one they can send to....they can not send to "every" bank...and they don't send to all countries...they can send to 17 countries.

Their Sending fee is Bt150 (plus 7% VAT)...and their Money Transfer Rate is plus or minus a hair the Thai bank TT Selling Rate used for outgoing international transfers.  But one BIG difference you don't have all the hassle of using a Thai bank....providing them proof of this and that to send the money...etc. 

Sounds like you may be from the UK....below is the DeeMoney webpage showing the UK banks they can send to.   Click the "Participating Banks in the UK" block to see the list of banks.

https://www.deemoney.com/send-money-from-thailand-to-united-kingdom/

And here's the US list.....click the "Participating Banks in the US" block

https://www.deemoney.com/send-money-from-thailand-to-united-states/

See the DeeMoney website for participating countries and banks.

• Like 1

My frustration with Dee Money is their registration process.  It seems to require an in-person visit to one of their branches but they often don't make that crystal clear in their advertisements.  Also, they do not seem to want to acknowledge applications with even an automated response.  I feel like I'm trying to communicate with a black hole.  It's ironic that they seem to be in a big marketing push to expand their base of customers but then take no action to assist new customers trying to open an account.  It doesn't matter how good the service is if you can't register for it (short of hopping on an airplane to go to Bangkok).  How is it possible to register for TransferWise online but not Dee Money?

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

How is it possible to register for TransferWise online but not Dee Money?

Transferwise operates under laws/regulations of other countries....such as the US, UK, AU, etc.  Westerns countries where people can open bank accounts, financial accounts, etc., "online."   Thailand does not allow opening of bank accounts, financial accounts, and such online; instead requires in-person visits.   

I was surprised DeeMoney allowed to sign-up via mail/fax/email for a short while.....guess they had to stop that.

Now, yes you can open a Transferwise account with either your home country or Thailand address but you are still registering under the rules of another country....probably the UK when opening a Transferwise account using your Thai address.

Even Transferwise can not send money out of Thailand as they have no Bank of Thailand money sender license; instead, the partner with a Thai bank who does have a license with the Bank of Thailand so they can get funds into Thailand....to recipients in Thailand.

Now DeeMoney is operating under a Bank of Thailand license and regulations such as registration of new customers.  And when sending money to another country like the US, UK, etc., they are partnering with a money transfer service in those countries authorized/licensed to move money in those countries.  While DeeMoney can send from Thailand they still need to partner with money transfer services in other countries...in the countries they can send to.

All depends on where you are licensed to operate...rules/laws of that country which govern things like registration/online signup/Know Your Customer/etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 2

I went to Bangkok to Register with Dee Money and I take credit for sowing the seed for their visit to Pattaya today at the Mercure Hotel and visiting the Pattaya Expat Club.   I did 2 quite sizable transactions with Dee Money for repatriating funds to the UK on Condo sales ( tax paid) and was satisfied with their service.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:43 AM, skatewash said:

Well, this is good news for those who live in Pattaya as it seems impossible to register for a Dee Money account online without visiting a branch office or an outreach event like this in person.  Not so great news for those who live elsewhere in Thailand, who short of traveling to Bangkok cannot register for an account.  I'm not sure why it's possible to register completely online for a TransferWise account and not do the same for a Dee Money account, but that seems to be the situation.

Where do you register in Bangkok?

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Registered.
Got the app.
The app says they don't support directly adding a Thai bank account to fund the transfers?!?
So how do you fund the transfers?
Add your bank details each time you do a transfer?
Also they say they have a FAQ.
Click on it and nothing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You either setup direct debit, use QR payment, or pay at a branch.  See their webpage below with videos on how to setup. 

https://help.deemoney.com/how-to-use-the-application/send-money

I would recommend QR payment...it's what I use to fund DeeMoney transfers as I'm not a fan of Direct Debit here in Thailand.  Whether using Direct Debit or QR payment keep in mind you will have limits set by your bank...so don't try to send an amount that is larger than whatever limit your bank has set for direct debit or payments such as QR payments.   No different than trying to withdraw more money from an ATM than your bank allows per transaction/day.

Whatever your limit is the limit can usually be changed by contacting your bank....just like how you can change your debit card withdrawal or purchase limits by contacting the bank.  And by contacting your bank to change your limit you may be able to do it via your bank ATM or phone banking vs actually needing to visit your branch.....varies from bank to bank as to how to change limits.

Don't think the Direct Bank Payment is allowed anymore....in fact, I didn't even know it existed until I saw your post and looked at my DeeMoney account via the Android app and via computer browser....and Direct Bank Payment came back as a "no-can-do-anymore" when I clicked on the link.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pib said:

You either setup direct debit, use QR payment, or pay at a branch.  See their webpage below with videos on how to setup. 

https://help.deemoney.com/how-to-use-the-application/send-money

I would recommend QR payment...it's what I use to fund DeeMoney transfers as I'm not a fan of Direct Debit here in Thailand.  Whether using Direct Debit or QR payment keep in mind you will have limits set by your bank...so don't try to send an amount that is larger than whatever limit your bank has set for direct debit or payments such as QR payments.   No different than trying to withdraw more money from an ATM than your bank allows per transaction/day.

Whatever your limit is the limit can usually be changed by contacting your bank....just like how you can change your debit card withdrawal or purchase limits by contacting the bank.  And by contacting your bank to change your limit you may be able to do it via your bank ATM or phone banking vs actually needing to visit your branch.....varies from bank to bank as to how to change limits.

Don't think the Direct Bank Payment is allowed anymore....in fact, I didn't even know it existed until I saw your post and looked at my DeeMoney account via the Android app and via computer browser....and Direct Bank Payment came back as a "no-can-do-anymore" when I clicked on the link.

OK, I realize this will sound crazy, but I can't see any way to get to that PAYMENT OPTIONS screen that shows on the video without showing the navigation to initially get there! 

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I realize this will sound crazy, but I can't see any way to get to that PAYMENT OPTIONS screen that shows on the video without showing the navigation to initially get there! 

Just start an actual transfer to get to the payment screen....can't get to the payment screen until you are ready to pay for a transfer. 

But unless you have setup the Direct Debit authorization with your bank already you will not be able to that funding method....you can't use Direct Debit until you set it up with your bank like the video shows.   

This means you need to be ready to make a QR payment using your bank's mbanking app if you want to follow thru in funding/actually launching the transfer.  

You can still experiment without actually sending any money by setting up a recipient....like to yourself to a home country bank.  Then start a transfer and once you get to the payment screen you can just abort/stop at that time.  Now that aborted transaction is not funded yet but will still show-up in your DeeMoney transaction history as Pending for around 3 hours and then drop off/disappear. 

And if you have never did a QR payment before, well, let me ensure you it is so easy & fast.  Just open your bank's app, go to the payment/scan bar or QR code function, scan the DeeMoney QR code given, you'll magicially see all the payment info appear on your display, select the account you want to pay from in case you have multiple accounts with the bank, and then finish the payment with a click or two.  DeeMoney instantly gets the payments...well, within a few milliseconds based on my funding my QR payment using my Bankgok Bank mbanking app.

The way I do my DeeMoney transfer is via computer browser....when the DeeMoney QR payment code is displayed on my laptop screen I then scan/pay it with my phone's mbanking app...and the DeeMoney transfer is funded.  Or you can just do it all from your phone by taking a snapshot of the QR code, then start up your mbanking app and scan the QR code screenshot you took...and finish the payment. 

MOST IMPORTANT:  when setting up your recipient bank info be sure you get the bank account correct...triple check it...I'm sure you don't want to send your money to some unknown (but lucky) person.  I think you will be sending to a US bank so be sure the routing and account number is correct....the DeeMoney format for sending to a US bank is routing number and account number separated by a dash....like shown in the image below.   It's not like using a US ibanking where you enter the routing number and account number in separate fields.

image.png.3e1382e80c60e796cdb9632976c970e9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow.
Excellent info Pib.
You're a pistol.
I had suspected you needed to add payment after starting a transfer but it isn't intuitive about that.
What would the normal QR code limit be?
What if you want to transfer a large amount like 800k baht?
Would the bank generally balk at that?

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow.
Excellent info Pib.
You're a pistol.
I had suspected you needed to add payment after starting a transfer but it isn't intuitive about that.
What would the normal QR code limit be?
What if you want to transfer a large amount like 800k baht?
Would the bank generally balk at that?

I know in my Bangkok Bank mbanknig app is says the default "payment" limit per transaction is Bt50K.....contact your branch if you need to change the limit....and I don't know what the upper limit would be.   

Now, I'm going to guess they are not going to allow a "payment" limit of Bt800K.   You are now talking a "transfer" of funds...and banks consider transfers and payments as two different animals...they have different rules.  Maybe you could do a "transfer" to a DeeMoney account based on DeeMoney instructions.

I think for example that Bangkok Bank's upper limit for a debit card "purchase" is Bt500K...although the default is usually set to Bt50K which you can change when first opening the account or afterwards....you can even have your purchase limit set to zero effectively tuning your debit card into an ATM only card.  You can also change your cash withdrawal limits up and down.   

To transfer Bt800K I would first talk to DeeMoney as they could probably tell you how to do it without needing to carry the money into one of their branches.   But with DeeMoney's low to sometimes nothing sending fee, doing multiple transfers of smaller amounts really doesn't change the cost to you.

But if you do plan to carry that much money in cash to a DeeMoney branch can I get a detailed itinerary before hand so I could have some of my friends meet you along the way.   And don't worry, my friends have said they will never return to prison.