Suing a Thai, anyone have any experience with this?

I've put a sizable deposit down on a condo. The owner is now delaying and hasn't cleared the large amount of junk from the condo, this is worked into the contract that it must be cleared. I'm still hoping we can still move forward with the sale, but if I need to sue to get my deposit back, any idea how long the process is and do they cover my legal fees? I can't see how I'd loose with a clear breech of contract, but I aint in Kansas.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Probably better/cheaper/quicker to clear it yourself.

Typical thai behaviour btw

Agree, they've just dumped half of it in the corridor/communal space... I guess there's nowhere convenient to burn it.

18 hours ago, banagan said:

Agree, will just deduct the cost from the final balance. 

Yeah, that won't work. He's got all the power and Thai citizenship in his favor, unless in your contract it says you can deduct cost...

Good Luck

• Like 1

I have been there, done that, only there was a much larger amount of money at stake. In my case the court fees were not small, and although we were successful it did appear to me that if it were a smaller amount of money it would not be worth it. I would also advise that you be careful about what you say, the libel laws here are such that you could end up being sued and lose much more that way than the disputed amount.

Edited by Lee4Life
spelling
  • Like 1

It will cost you a fortune especially when the Thai ignores the court  summons time and time again knowing that the judge will set a new hearing date . I have a friend who has experienced this and cost him over a million baht in fees and ended up with nothing. 

• Thanks 1

...ever been in a car accident....???

...even if it's 100% the other party's fault....???

...you are lucky....with 1st class insurance....to get your claim...

....sounds like the plan from the start was 'to get your deposit and keep it'...

...you showed 'good faith and honor' by making a 'sizeable deposit'......

...those words do not exist in some peoples vocabularies....they just make you 'an easy mark'...

...be very careful....take his stuff away and he will claim you stole it....???

...and will claim its value far exceeds your deposit...???

....good luck...

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yeah, that won't work. He's got all the power and Thai citizenship in his favor, unless in your contract it says you can deduct cost...

Good Luck

A couple of thousands is peanuts to make the problem go away... no need antagonizing the other party. Just smoothen the flow. 

On 6/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, banagan said:

Agree, they've just dumped half of it in the corridor/communal space... I guess there's nowhere convenient to burn it.

You're kidding right?

Anywhere and anyplace in the country is considered a convenient place to burn any thing any time.

And it's such fun to watch the dancing flames and drifting smoke envelop the local environment for kilometers around the fire.

I believe it is performed as a ritual cleansing operation and often a spectator sport. If waste is dumped beside the road it is seen as a civic duty to set it afire, especially those unsightly old tires.

Hell, I've heard they even burn people here!

????

• Haha 1