Tsunami evacuation drill to be held at Patong Beach

snoop1130

Tsunami evacuation drill to be held at Patong Beach

By The Phuket News

1560940350_1-org.jpg

Emergency responders take part in a full-scale tsunami-evacuation drill in Phuket. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET:-- A mass tsunami-evacuation drill will be held in Patong next Tuesday (June 25), with the tsunami-warning sirens sounding the alarm at 1:30pm.

The drill is part of a series of mass tsunami-evacuation exercises being held throughout all six Andaman coast provinces under the banner of the Integrated Disaster Management Exercise (IDMEx 2019: TSUNAMI), explained an advisory from the Phuket Provincial office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket).

The IDMEx 2019 will see mass tsunami-evacuation drills conducted in Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun over two days, next Monday and Tuesday (June 24-25), it added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/tsunami-evacuation-drill-to-be-held-at-patong-beach-71846.php#we7K6JjatkOdefiv.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-19

9 minutes ago, TheHangingJudge said:

What is the bet that not all of the sirens work.

I'll raise that to "What is the bet that none of the sirens work."

Are these things actually tested on a regular basis?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Yes they are but sort of annual basis. I have heard the tests at Kata.  But not often enough tests.

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes they are but sort of annual basis. I have heard the tests at Kata.  But not often enough tests.

One could argue that if you have too many tests, people would ignore the sirens in the event of a genuine emergency.

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

The people responsible for maintaining them cannot be seen to "lose face" if they don't work.

Archived