What discount for cash new car ?

Tuvoc

16 minutes ago, LOS14 said:

Any chance of getting a cash discount on a Yaris? I noticed some of the models don’t have spare wheels. What happens if you have a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere? 

Same as many car models in the UK.  You get a can of instant tyre repair.

• Like 1

I've been looking at cars for the last few months and have been offered discounts on all the models I've looked at (Swift, Pajero Sport, Honda City, Civic, etc.) when the dealers visit shopping malls and such. My wife has also been offered discounts of about 50,000 baht (compared to the official price) over the phone when she's spoken to different dealers. All of them were new models, not outgoing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

The finance companies cover 90% of all car purchases; hardly any Thai buys a car cash (unless it is "tax free money"). The salesman or the dealership gets a kick-back by the finance company for each and every financing contract which eliminates the dealerships interest in selling cash to you as they get the cash anyhow by the finance company, a kick-back and the customer is happy to drive away with a car he actually could never afford if cash would be king. 

Understood - so they much prefer you to financé it.

UK dealers also get kickbacks on Finance I'm sure. 

4 hours ago, Myran said:

I've been looking at cars for the last few months and have been offered discounts on all the models I've looked at (Swift, Pajero Sport, Honda City, Civic, etc.) when the dealers visit shopping malls and such. My wife has also been offered discounts of about 50,000 baht (compared to the official price) over the phone when she's spoken to different dealers. All of them were new models, not outgoing.

Dealers for a particualar car give higher or lower discounts, depending on the extra freebies thrown in. We got a 40K discount for a new crv + 36K assisance from honda for the first 12 months of payments, ceramic coat, tint, and various other things. Another dealer may give 80K discount but little else. 

On 6/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, Fab5BKK said:

5-year free service (labor + fluids)

Toyota dealers where I lived offered that but for life of the car as long as it remained in your name during that period. Took a while for the penny to drop but they were loading their loss on other items. Still have a Toyota but I get the services done at 'Continental' now. Better all round service. Excuse the pun.

Edit:- Sorry I didn't get free labour on servicing.  Just fluids and oils.

Edited by Rally123

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Dealers for a particualar car give higher or lower discounts, depending on the extra freebies thrown in. We got a 40K discount for a new crv + 36K assisance from honda for the first 12 months of payments, ceramic coat, tint, and various other things. Another dealer may give 80K discount but little else. 

Not so, 100k discount, mudflaps,  bed  liner, wheel arch mouldings, front rear carpets and  rubber  overmats, different body badges and free  topless massage...........ok I lied about the massage.........she was naked!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here is my true story take it or leave it! 

Ten plus years ago when my wife and I was looking for a vehicle we decided to purchase a Toyota Yaris, suddenly I had to return to the States I like many believe not much you could do to get the price down but you will get a bunch of freebies and first year insurance for free,

Two years ago I wanted to get a new truck although I knew I would end up with a Toyota on my own time I did research and view a number of models out of curiosity even took a day and went into Bangkok for the Motor show. I was told you could get better deals in Bangkok, at the show I got a number of quotes including Toyota for the model I was headed towards in buying. 

When it came to Toyota, the truck Revo, I was down to two models E plus 899,000 and G 969,000 at the Bangkok show the best I got 892,000/962,000 with the normal extra and free insurance. Although I got quotes I was waiting to see if Toyota was in the process of making any real changes to the vehicle I was in no hurry.

So when I returned to Pattaya, Chon Buri province the next few months I went and visited every dealer including the dealer where I purchased the Yaris. Every dealership it was pretty much the same quotes I got some a number more than Bangkok. I pretty much concluded like everyone you aren't going to get much of a discount but one day I was in Sirracha drop into this dealership after a lengthy conversation with the agents they wrote down what I expected to come with the purchased and to write down the price the quotes were 896,000/966,000 remember the list prices is 899,000/969,000.

After I told her do the best to lower that price if you want me to come back with the wife and buy from this dealership. No harm in asking didn't think they would budge but to my surprise she went on her calculator and then took off another 30,000 baht on both models 869,999/939,000, couldn't believe just thought it was a language problem it was all written down with their business card " said I will talk to the wife and be back ".

A month later with money on hand went to the dealer and agent who sold us the Yaris, I had prepared the offer and ask my daughter-inlaw to make the presentation prior family was laughing and joking basically not going to happen.  When the offer was presented I watch his face for a reaction he got on the calculator he came back with 872,000 I said I expect you to match or do better since the dealership is closer he went to the back office for a few minutes and came back you got a deal with a small exception? They wanted 20,000 baht down the day I came to pick up the vehicle wanted a cashier check for 800,000 baht and cash 49,000 baht in cash. From what I gather the 49,000 was the commission so the agent didn't have to declare?

So did I get lucky?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

60K discount on a 1.25M Pajero ordered well before the new model was released. Freebies included window tint, first year of insurance, and a few other cosmetic things that escape me at the moment. Delivery was 3-4 weeks after ordering, and they wanted cash, not a bank cheque.

• Like 1

This being Thailand, anything is possible. A salesgirl told me if I bought the car, she came with it!

As for discounts, I send Lady Roadrunner to haggle. Being Thai, she can get a far better deal, so long as the Farang is not around.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

As for discounts, I send Lady Roadrunner to haggle. Being Thai, she can get a far better deal, so long as the Farang is not around.

Yes exactly, same here !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

This being Thailand, anything is possible. A salesgirl told me if I bought the car, she came with it!

Very true!  That has been my experience as well.  

interesting read my experiences - when i came here 10 years ago Phuket really only had Toyota, Honda, Isuzu, Mercedes and Volvo....

i needed 2 cars so i first went to Toyota, ok i will buy your top of the line Fortuner which was 1.3 mill any discount NO... ok what if i buy 2 same vehicle, newer same price...

so i decided to ask the same at Honda for CRV, again same price for 2 nil discount. so i ended up buying one from each.

i went to Mercedes Phuket as they had a ML SUV wagon, firstly to get them just to reply to me or call after i went to their showroom to view the vehicle was next to impossible for stuff them, if they not interested to sell me a vehicle worth at that time 8 million thb i wont worry, i also went to one of the Black Companies on By-Pass rd, the had a lovely Mercedes vehicle for 7 million, i asked for discount as  showed him i could get the same vehicle in BKK for 5.5 million, he laughed and just told me some stupid story and told me if i wanted it go to Bangkok.. he tried to tell me it wasn't a proper Mercedes vehicle even though it was from a recognised Mercedes dealer i replied well where did yo get yours, oh a dealer in Germany i imported but you are a black dealer.... long story short i went to Bangkok and bought the vehicle Mercedes Phuket offered me for 8 million for 7 million in Bangkok.....

next we changed vehicles and wanted a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L in Phuket about 1 year waiting and full price from memory about 1.2 million, i sent a message to a few dealers in Bangkok and 2 replied we have vehicle we can give you one tomorrow and discount 50,000 if you fly up and pay cash, i ended up getting a vehicle i wanted white colour and for 1.1 million.....

its seems the view here in Phuket is you have money and you can afford to pay more ...

7 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If that was the case you aren't getting a deal really that is a lifetime long term loan?????

I've had some reasonable discounts 30,000 off a Mitsubishi Attrage, 100,000 of a Ford Fiesta plus all the usual extras tinting etc. Less likely to get one on the popular makes Honda, Toyota as they know they can sell all they want. I am looking to buy a new bike soon and i can't get one satang discount.

Edited by Henryford

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, Chazar said:

Depends which model exactly and how desperate the dealer, I got 100k  off a  1.1 million baht vehicle start of this  year, just went in plonked down the cash and let them gawp at it.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, blackcab said:

I have a friend who owns a Nissan dealership. His margin as a dealer is 4 per cent, so there isn't a lot of discount he can give. That 4 per cent has to pay for his entire business.

He explained that he has a series of sales thresholds that are advantageous for him to reach. I suppose if you caught him one car short of the next threshold one day before the end of the period you might get a discount, as long as the discount was less than what he would receive for making the higher threshold.

It's safe to assume that the dealer margins are similar throughout the industry here, as they are elsewhere so, whether they're selling Nissan, Mitsu or whatever, either your friend is not being straight about his "4%" profit margin or Chazar's dealer paid him almost 5% to buy from his dealership!

It's hard to decide who to believe, your car dealer or a poster here.

By the way, your friend's margin on new cars is not all that he has to pay for his entire business, he gets manufacturer's bonuses, finance and leasing commission, commission/profit on other services he sells such as window tinting, paint protection etc., he's not as hard done to as he would like you to believe!

18 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Here is my true story take it or leave it! 

Ten plus years ago when my wife and I was looking for a vehicle we decided to purchase a Toyota Yaris, suddenly I had to return to the States I like many believe not much you could do to get the price down but you will get a bunch of freebies and first year insurance for free,

Two years ago I wanted to get a new truck although I knew I would end up with a Toyota on my own time I did research and view a number of models out of curiosity even took a day and went into Bangkok for the Motor show. I was told you could get better deals in Bangkok, at the show I got a number of quotes including Toyota for the model I was headed towards in buying. 

When it came to Toyota, the truck Revo, I was down to two models E plus 899,000 and G 969,000 at the Bangkok show the best I got 892,000/962,000 with the normal extra and free insurance. Although I got quotes I was waiting to see if Toyota was in the process of making any real changes to the vehicle I was in no hurry.

So when I returned to Pattaya, Chon Buri province the next few months I went and visited every dealer including the dealer where I purchased the Yaris. Every dealership it was pretty much the same quotes I got some a number more than Bangkok. I pretty much concluded like everyone you aren't going to get much of a discount but one day I was in Sirracha drop into this dealership after a lengthy conversation with the agents they wrote down what I expected to come with the purchased and to write down the price the quotes were 896,000/966,000 remember the list prices is 899,000/969,000.

After I told her do the best to lower that price if you want me to come back with the wife and buy from this dealership. No harm in asking didn't think they would budge but to my surprise she went on her calculator and then took off another 30,000 baht on both models 869,999/939,000, couldn't believe just thought it was a language problem it was all written down with their business card " said I will talk to the wife and be back ".

A month later with money on hand went to the dealer and agent who sold us the Yaris, I had prepared the offer and ask my daughter-inlaw to make the presentation prior family was laughing and joking basically not going to happen.  When the offer was presented I watch his face for a reaction he got on the calculator he came back with 872,000 I said I expect you to match or do better since the dealership is closer he went to the back office for a few minutes and came back you got a deal with a small exception? They wanted 20,000 baht down the day I came to pick up the vehicle wanted a cashier check for 800,000 baht and cash 49,000 baht in cash. From what I gather the 49,000 was the commission so the agent didn't have to declare?

So did I get lucky?

Female: "...took off another 30,000 baht on both models 869,999...".

Your original dealer: "They wanted 20,000 baht down the day I came to pick up the vehicle wanted a cashier check for 800,000 baht and cash 49,000 baht in cash".  That's B869,000

Did you get lucky?  I suppose it depends how lucky you feel after weeks of messing around for B999 extra discount.  I'd say you didn't.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, monkeycu said:

And you believe a car dealer to tell the truth  :cheesy:

Actually whilst I lived in the UK I had a good friend who was a Merc. sales person and he sold me a new C-Class. He said that he made about twenty pounds on the deal BUT he also said that might be the one car that makes my target and if so will be worth a lot of money to me. So don't discount what blackcap said about his Nissan friend BUT also remember that when a car sales person opens their mouth 99 times out of 100 ... here comes a wopper!

Actually I think it depends on what you are buying, what the competition is and how long before the model will be replaced.

For example at the recent Motor Show, and for a while now the only E-Class that MB had was the E350e. At that time in the pipeline was the 220d sport and at sometime the E300e and maybe also the E300de. So at that show they only had one car to offer against BMW’s, 5-Series.

My offer was 520,000 discount, one year’s insurance, iPhone Xs Max 256, MB wireless charger, two MB golf bags, ceramic film (I took the cash and ordered my own), english manual, 3-years Star Assist, umbrella, 3-year warranty, carpet and car mats.

Ok it will be replaced ‘sometime’ with one with a bigger battery and of course I have started adding monthly to a new ‘Rainy Day Account’ for when it is Service time an/or warranty ends!!!!! 

A good offer or not … I don’t know

• Confused 1

We will probably buy a Toyota Fortuner. Very popular so chances are there will be no reason for the dealer to discount. Let's see, but in any case free tints and some other things, first class insurance etc would be better than nothing. 

We just paid a deposit on Toyota hilux prerunner. The model was 672 000bht. 

We were offered 55 000bht discount but my boyfriend wanted many extras in the car so we ended up paying around 668 000bht. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, M93 said:

We just paid a deposit on Toyota hilux prerunner. The model was 672 000bht. 

We were offered 55 000bht discount but my boyfriend wanted many extras in the car so we ended up paying around 668 000bht. 

A lot of extras are thrown in for free, things like window tint, bed liner, floor mats, wind deflectors, insurance etc.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Tuvoc said:

We will probably buy a Toyota Fortuner. Very popular so chances are there will be no reason for the dealer to discount. Let's see, but in any case free tints and some other things, first class insurance etc would be better than nothing. 

I have had 3 new Toyotas over the years. Vigo and 2 TRD Tunas. Never got a discount. But I did manage to get all the extras that were available. including tax, insurance, tints, +++ the normal.

On the last one even things that Toyo didn't supply. Auto folding wing mirrors, under wheel liners, and an in car camera. The latter being sorted by local firm (I paid for those but was reimbursed in cash by Toyo after I gave them the bill) 

Just go for it ask to see the list of extras and say you want the lot.

Little tip if you can go to it get the 2.8lt it has lots more power than the 2.4 it'll also save you lots on fuel. 4x4 is up to you but to give you an idea I have used it several times all during the rainy seasons on flooded roads. 

Edited by fredob43

I've rented both the 2.4 and the 2.8 several times. I actually prefer the 2.4 - smoother and quieter and a little bit less like a diesel. A 2.8 is huge for a 4 cylinder, even for a petrol. However we will get the 2.8. And yes 4WD is a must.