USA banking and credit cards

Does anybody have any advise  on using USA Credit Card Co while living here under the retirement or marriage visas!

I have my mailed sent to a relative in the USA,so I can meet that physical residence requirement and USA mailing address as well.

My concern is do they start  to question travel alerts after so many years?If you want you can PM me.

Thanks

I have heard some people say  that they have had issues with Charles Schwab(atm debit card). They have gone on to say not to mention your living out of the country! Anybody heard anything about this issue

I use my USA credit card here and have for years without problems.  At first I communicated with them regularly about my travel habits which avoided location alerts affecting acceptance.  I told them I had second home in Thailand.  Now with the BK BANK transfers through NY not working I use the card extensively and have one for my wife as well.  It works well and is a major part of my financial program.

I also pay it in full each month.

• Like 1

And just for example regarding travel notification by certain card companies, if you have a Capital One credit card, log onto your online acct and then select "Travel Notification" like you wanted to tell them your will be traveling to exotic places like Thailand, below is the popup message given.

image.png.8a32d0d52e50ee0daab81d7639a69d8b.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

I have Citibank Visa and MasterCard credit cards issued by Citibank Thailand for the last 25 years. No  problem.

Likewise. I update my travel alerts on line from to time , but even if I forget, I've never had a problem using them.

If asked, always specify using Thai baht for the amounts being charged. Charging in dollars results in poorer exchange rate. 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

And just for example regarding travel notification by certain card companies, if you have a Capital One credit card, log onto your online acct and then select "Travel Notification" like you wanted to tell them your will be traveling to exotic places like Thailand, below is the popup message given.

image.png.8a32d0d52e50ee0daab81d7639a69d8b.png

I heard so much about Schwab's atm privileges! I just signed up for a high yield checking and brokerage account that offers a debit card with Schwab,unfortunately only 1k per day withdrawals.  As a second option I recently signed on with Capitalone checking account that offers a debit card with no FTF or Atm fees,Thai bank atm fees can't be avoided. I have a Transferwise debit card but haven't used it.

Since the New York BKK bank changed their transfer policy, I had to adjust. I don't want to be canceled for some overly protected fraud departments concerns that I, in their opinion, have abused my privileges for overly using their no fee atm access or having issues with them verifying who I am through their verification process ,especially over the phone. I like the fact they use email codes,safe passes and safety keys. 

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, riclag said:

As a second option I recently signed on with Capitalone checking account that offers a debit card with no FTF or Atm fees,Thai bank atm fees can't be avoided.

You may know, but your Cap1 Mastercard debit card allows $5K per day/transaction "at the counter."  Another $1K at an ATM.   I use the Cap1 debit card for counter withdrawals....periodically I withdraw $150K (approx $4700) at the counter and have it directly deposited to my Thai bank account.  Absolutely zero fees on both ends....full MC exchange rate...money immediately in my bank account....beats any money transfer service such as Transferwise/SWIFT/ACH for most baht at the least cost and definitely the fastest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mansell said:

I use a mileage Citicard and they know I live here....no problem. But I had it in the states for years before I moved here.....they seem fine with it.

Ditto, I have 2 US credit cards and my Thai address is on file with both, no problem. I even get my statements buy mail here in Thailand.  Ditto my US bank account.

I am not really clear why you want to maintain a US address? 

If your address with the CC company is in the US then you will probably need to do a "travel notification" to avoid them flagging Thai charges as potential fraud. Most major credit cards let you do this online.

• Like 1

I’ve use my US credit and spend 99.9 % of 10 Years abroad. One thing you need to be very very careful of do not get cash advances 

most cards charge fees and the interest % rate jumps and is added 

the day you cash advance. 

I thought about it and callef the bank Chase and they explained..

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Ditto, I have 2 US credit cards and my Thai address is on file with both, no problem. I even get my statements buy mail here in Thailand.  Ditto my US bank account.

If your address with the CC company is in the US then you will probably need to do a "travel notification" to avoid them flagging Thai charges as potential fraud. Most major credit cards let you do this online.

"clear on a US address"

Some people don't always have a smooth ride when it comes to financial planning

"Once you have determined which credit card may suit your needs best, dig a little deeper into what the bank or card issuer requires as far as application documents or details. Some credit card providers may require a stateside address in order to qualify"

https://lendedu.com/blog/us-credit-cards-when-living-overseas/

You just have to remember one important fact....consumer protection. Thai cards offer none, mistake on your card, one call to the bank, get it corrected or initiate a chargeback, bad/defective product (like my frig, which stopped working as soon as it was delivered) refunded/and or exchanged. There is no consumer protection here, your at the total mercy of the merchant, sure your US based card carries a foreign exchange fee, but to me it's well worth it. Too many times I paid cash for something, got it home and something didn't work. The merchant would then tell me to use the warranty (if one is available). Tough cookies, you bought it, it's yours. 

• Like 1

Capital one used to require you to notify them of your travels abroad to make sure transactions went through with no problem.  They don't require that anymore.  But the option to report when you are abroad is still there if you want to use it.

The biggest issue is that you can't use a foriegn phone number.  So if they want you to get an OTP for something you can't get it, like to verify it is actually you when you use a new computer to access your account.  Then you have the hassle/cost of calling them directly to fix the problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

My Stateside issued VISA card will incur a 1% "foreign transaction fee". Plus, if I didn't pre-notify VISA of purchases, they would usually deny, even though all statements and correspondence reflect my Thailand address, for both VISA and my bank.

All said, for almost all purchases, we use my wife's VISA card, issued by a Thai bank. Not only are there no fees, we also get many discounts, freebees and other perks!

If you will continue to maintain the US address, look into opening a Charles Schwab account. It is a requirement for an account with them. I believe that, as long as you maintain a US address, you will be fine. This will allow you to access your Stateside cash without paying the Thai bank fees (if Charles Schwab still reimburses fees). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwill said:

Capital one used to require you to notify them of your travels abroad to make sure transactions went through with no problem.  They don't require that anymore.  But the option to report when you are abroad is still there if you want to use it.

The biggest issue is that you can't use a foriegn phone number.  So if they want you to get an OTP for something you can't get it, like to verify it is actually you when you use a new computer to access your account.  Then you have the hassle/cost of calling them directly to fix the problem.

In my quest to have all those ducks in a row while researching  USA credit cards and banks for use in Thailand,I try and find out their verification  process! If they use only the phone process (no email,code devise  or txt ) I avoid them. God forbid if you fail in 3 attempts on a password or username . At times I have come under the verification gods at these companies. Several times while attempting to look at my account online in Thailand I get the dreaded "we don't recognize your devise please call". When you call, some want to call you back,using  your number on file.If they can't verify you that way, then they use questions(not related to security ones that you set up with them) example what was the model car you first got a loan for. 

I found some good advise in this thread!

Capitalone not needing a travel notification,being able to get more money if you ask a teller inside as opposed to a daily limit at a ATM

Also that some banks and CC companies allow a Thai address along with a US address. 

Edited by riclag

I too use BOA visa credit card - 20+ years and checking acct with BOA for 50+ years.  I was informed that

as of 2 Aug I could not do a wire transfer via telephone and they advised me to download the BOA apps for mobile and online banking.  They indicated on such that I would also need a mobile phone CONTRACT with one of the major companies in the US for at least 1 year.  My relatives stateside said that they had heard 

the new changes are part of the anti-money laundering procedures and they are sometimes using the 

mobile phone nr to verify you actually live in the US.  I was informed that I could probably still use

a computer on line to do some of my banking but they said they really weren't sure.  I am in the process

of trying to obtain an acct at a banking facility that allows an overseas address.  Citibank has offices here

in Thailand for those who wish to open an acct here.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Presnock said:

I too use BOA visa credit card - 20+ years and checking acct with BOA for 50+ years.  I was informed that

as of 2 Aug I could not do a wire transfer via telephone and they advised me to download the BOA apps for mobile and online banking.  They indicated on such that I would also need a mobile phone CONTRACT with one of the major companies in the US for at least 1 year.  My relatives stateside said that they had heard 

the new changes are part of the anti-money laundering procedures and they are sometimes using the 

mobile phone nr to verify you actually live in the US.  I was informed that I could probably still use

a computer on line to do some of my banking but they said they really weren't sure.  I am in the process

of trying to obtain an acct at a banking facility that allows an overseas address.  Citibank has offices here

in Thailand for those who wish to open an acct here.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good luck with using the BofA app on your phone. I once could wire transfer international using the app,that's obsolete now it appears( offers Zelle). I scoured the B of A site looking for answers, no luck.When I got back to the states I asked a CR at a banking center .We sat down going over this issue,she had no clue and suggested I call the toll free number.I explained to her look it's online (my international transfer out to another bank accounts) using a computer! Can't find these accounts using a phone app! I said look for yourself (years ago you and the CR could sit down with your permission and go over issues while looking at your account )but now she says its against bank policies. Long and short of it the CR at the phone center said there are some features that are exclusive to online only.

B & A is my bank for direct deposits. I would ach to BKK Bank NY,using their safe pass device,but the NY BKK transfer ACH method is finished! Now I'll link other banks to my B&A account and fund them that way (soon CapitalOne and Charles Schwab). BofA swift(international wire) fees are to expensive .

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, Pib said:

I use the Cap1 debit card for counter withdrawals....periodically I withdraw $150K (approx $4700) at the counter and have it directly deposited to my Thai bank account.  

When you do this does it show up on your Thai bank account statement as a foreign deposit?

I'm wondering if this method would satisfy non-O visa requirement for monthly deposits. 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:54 PM, riclag said:

found some good advise in this thread!

Capitalone not needing a travel notification,being able to get more money if you ask a teller inside as opposed to a daily limit at a ATM

Also that some banks and CC companies allow a Thai address along with a US address.

I'm in the states preparing to come back .Maybe I spoke to soon! I tried to add another  outside bank to link with Capitalone banking.I was under the impression Cap1 sent codes to verify who you are through email,sad,they stopped doing that,sad. I have a google voice number,it won't recognize voip numbers! I had to call customer service they attempted to send a code through google voice several times,the txt code comes through but disappears in two seconds(new security measure with 5 digit codes by banks). They switched me over to either a MGR or the fraud dept. He sent a email with a link for me to take a picture of my passport using my phone and uploading it to him. Presto I'm verified.

I started asking questions about doing  future transactions online while out of the country. He tells me I would have to go through 2 way verification and that was the only way.I have to call back tomorrow to get a second persons answer! If that is the case ,how the hell can one fund their account!

Edited by riclag

On 6/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, Estrada said:

I have Citibank Visa and MasterCard credit cards issued by Citibank Thailand for the last 25 years. No  problem.

the post is about USA cards, your were issued in Thailand by a US bank not the ssame

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FlakeyFoont said:

When you do this does it show up on your Thai bank account statement as a foreign deposit?

I'm wondering if this method would satisfy non-O visa requirement for monthly deposits. 

Will not work.  The counter withdrawals using your foreign card and then directly deposited into your bank account are coded as any other local deposit.  It's really two transactions although it kinda appears as one transaction.  The 1st transaction is the actual withdrawal using your foreign card, those funds are temporary placed in hold status for a minute or so until the clerk can do the second transaction which is the deposit.  Only the deposit appears in your passbook/ibanking....appears/coded as a local deposit.