yeah, CM's wilted, and i'm wilting

orang37

"Every year, despite dire warnings and penalties, farmers across northern Thailand set post-harvest crops alight while villagers ignite mountainsides to harvest mushrooms, ants' eggs and other forest products for commercial sale."

there are quite a few more reasons for all the burning going on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

Quote "burgeoning metropolitan area of 12 million people". Not sure if that is quite accurate.

Seems like it when you try to drive anywhere these days ....quite a drastic difference over the years ....huge, like nothing I have ever seen in such short amount of time.

"...that in the last 5 years many trees and open lots in CM city, esp outside the moat, have been lost to hotels and condos."

1) This is inevitable human expansion; it can't be halted. 

2) I don't think a few fewer vacant lots or missing trees have the slightest impact on the cultural make-up of the city as a whole. The city cut a stand of old growth rain trees down along the road near my house because (I'm not making this up) they were "too tall" under the power lines, which were half again as high as the trees. Now those power lines are being replaced with MASSIVE towers 2.5 times as high. 

Did the loss of the trees make Chiang Mai a less desirable place to live? No. A needless shame? Yes. 

• Like 2

to be fair,  any small city that was really nice 30 years ago has gone through the same "progress".

Austin,Tx..... San Diego.... SF........ Seattle...... and I'm sure countless others that I am not as familiar with.  They may not have air pollution, but traffic, mass growth/loss of charm are inevitable.  

Sigh.   With the powers that be constantly promoting more population, more consumerism, more technology,  well...it is what it is.

Currently I am looking for the crappiest place on the planet as maybe then I won't be disappointed when progress arrives .  ( tongue in cheek )

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:22 PM, orchis said:

"Every year, despite dire warnings and penalties, farmers across northern Thailand set post-harvest crops alight while villagers ignite mountainsides to harvest mushrooms, ants' eggs and other forest products for commercial sale."

there are quite a few more reasons for all the burning going on.

Thai mentality, me me me

• Confused 1

On 6/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, jko said:

Let's hope that Dennis Gray’s daunting message not only reaches the ears those in power, but also those of prospective leisure travellers, investors, medical tourists, incentive and exhibition planners and retirees who, as a result, remove Chiang Mai from their planning.

That may sound defeatist, but it is now clear that only a steady, slow collapse of the economy is likely to bring the authorities to their senses. Multiple business failures, empty hotels and an exodus of students from our international schools may be the bitterest, but the only medicine.

The plain truth is that until the powers - finally - learn this hard lesson, nothing is going to happen. We are now only six or seven months away from the Deadly Burning, and since we have heard nothing from government, we can reasonably assume it will happen again.

Meanwhile, many (or most) of us are looking at ways to relocate completely, or at least abandon the city (and Lanna in general) from Feb-Jun 2020. I am certainly in this category. Climate change may make things worse as temperatures rise, and the quality of life steadily declines.

The future does not look rosy for the Rose.

for the local government to declare CM to be a disaster area would lose major face.  think of Chernobyl

The Juristic person for my condo just informed me that the Astra has started construction of a new 17 story condo across the street from their current building. It will have 500 units.

Traffic hell is here.

• Sad 1

Speed cameras are coming... FANTASTIC!

There are three lanes on ring road 2 near San Sai with the overhead indicators to speed cameras. Lots of signs warning dont exceed 90KPH. The odd thing I have noticed in both directions of the overhead speed readings is that all 3 speed reading electronic signs read exactly the same speed? Yesterday. a truck in the fast lane was doing 79KPH. I was losing ground on my motorbike and doing 79 KPH and the poor cyclist in the left lane was falling back also doing 79 KPH. Amazing Thailand.

6 hours ago, rumak said:

to be fair,  any small city that was really nice 30 years ago has gone through the same "progress".

Austin,Tx..... San Diego.... SF........ Seattle...... and I'm sure countless others that I am not as familiar with.  They may not have air pollution, but traffic, mass growth/loss of charm are inevitable.  

Sigh.   With the powers that be constantly promoting more population, more consumerism, more technology,  well...it is what it is.

Currently I am looking for the crappiest place on the planet as maybe then I won't be disappointed when progress arrives .  ( tongue in cheek )

Human beings are essentially termites when it comes to the home we call Planet Earth...they multiply and destroy everything in their path. Fortunately this situation is self-correcting as far as the Earth is concerned...it's called extinction. 

• Like 1

Being a newcomer to CM of four settled years, the annual smog is the worst effect for my continuing health. If only the local government would actually do something to prevent it happening would be progress. I hardly ever go into town nowadays for entertainment, as I prefer staying in a quiet place, which to be fair, is always available in the province.  

I suppose it's all to do with personal preferences and style of living that suits one's age group.

22 minutes ago, mpyre said:

Human beings are essentially termites when it comes to the home we call Planet Earth...they multiply and destroy everything in their path. Fortunately this situation is self-correcting as far as the Earth is concerned...it's called extinction. 

That's a bit mean to termites.  They are part of nature and do the job of recycling dead wood, they also are food for other animals.

Humans, on the other hand don't give anything back to the 'cycle of life' and we are more like a virus which will destroy everything. 

I think we might have a massive population crash in the future, but not go extinct.  Sadly, we will drag a lot of other species do real extinction.. never to return, by humanities greed.

I live in CM, and around my area was beautiful rice fields, old tall trees, lakes and lots of wildlife.  Now much of it is a concrete jungle, messy, eyesore.  The fields are mostly all filled in and built on, same as the lakes and ponds.  The big trees chopped down in the process, and the ones left are just cut down for money for the wood.  There is also a massive problem with dumping rubbish all around the remaining countryside and even in the forests on the mountains, as well as illegal quarries and the usual burning and killing / eating the wildlife that is left. 

This place needs to get some building regulations, and regulations for preserving the countryside too, otherwise in the future it will all be gone... ugly houses and congested roads right up to the mountains (then they will start building on them). 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, jko said:

The future does not look rosy for the Rose.

C M is many things but I'd never have called it a rose.

The thing that kills it and has always killed it since at least 1974 when I first visited is the car. Unrestricted numbers of cars on roads built decades ago is madness. If they want to save the old city they need to ban all private cars from within the wall and have electric tuk tuks, mini buses and bicycles as the only transport. 

• Like 1