Confusion on TM 30 reporting

My wife and I are leaving Thailand for a holiday.

The condo we are staying is bought by me. In my name.

It is true that when we return back to Thailand,

both of us must report to Immigration with TM 30 ?

1. Each of us must fill up Tm 30 ?

2. Or husband need only to fill up the form ?

3. Must both of us report every time when we return

after an oversea trip ?

Your kind advise is much appreciated. Thanking you 

all in advance.

• Like 1

If you are both foreigners you both need to be reported. As the owner you should be able to report yourself and your wife.

If and when you need to report depends on the policy at your local office. By law your stay should be reported every time you return to the country.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you are both foreigners you both need to be reported. As the owner you should be able to report yourself and your wife.

If and when you need to report depends on the policy at your local office. By law your stay should be reported every time you return to the country.

The rules state that you must report every time you stay in a different place, even within Thailand.  Not just a different country. As stated, it depends on your local immigration officer

• Like 2

im also a bit 'confused' about TM30  requirments....

im on a multi-entry non O A retirement extension of stay...

own my own condo at pattaya..

due to the 'changing rules etc', i currently leave thailand within every 90 days, so that i dont have to do a 90 day report...

am i correct in doing this???  no report required....

i have never been queried at either of the Bangkok airports, or immigration at jomtien..

I have never done a TM 30... 
Haven't needed to go to my local Imm Office for a couple years but they have never questioned me about it, when I have done 60 day extensions a few times in the past !

The past!

In Thailand goal posts have wheels

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot depends on which Immigration Office you use.  Chaengwattana have advised our teachers that as long as a TM30 is on file, it doesn't need to be done again unless you move permanent address.  This is very different from other Offices, and may be just because they can't cope!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot depends on which Immigration Office you use.  Chaengwattana have advised our teachers that as long as a TM30 is on file, it doesn't need to be done again unless you move permanent address.  This is very different from other Offices, and may be just because they can't cope!
Chaengwattana advised a high end condominium that their foreign owners did not need to file a TM30. But, an Immigration officer demanded one from an owner when he applied for an extension.

It depends on each individual immigration officer.!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, immigration (at least in my case) requires the TM30 be filed only once by the owner (for all foreigners).  They will staple a piece of paper in your passport with the details of the owner etc.  After that, every time I return to Thailand they allow me as the renter to go to the office within 24 hours of returning to report that I have returned.   It would actually be unmanageable for the owner to file every time I returned since they are not local and would have no idea when I left and when I returned. 

Basically, the original TM30 form submission includes the ability of the owner of the unit to indicate to immigration that the resident may act on their behalf.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

When you return to Thailand from a foreign country you fill in the TM6 arrival card with your address in Thailand. There should be no need to complete a TM30 as well as you've notified them of your address on the TM6. Returning to your home from another address in Thailand is obviously a different matter and you need, theoretically, to fill in a TM30. As people say, though, it seems to vary not just from office to office but from person to person. The tM30 section at Jomtien Immigration is usually packed out. OTOH I've lived here for 15 years and visit Immigration numerous times a year for re-entry permits, retirement extensions, residence certificates, etc., but have never had to fill out a TM30. No idea why, but I haven't changed my address here in 8 years so they have it on record around a million times anyway.

TM6 and TM30 are not mutually exclusive.  TM30 is the landlord's responsibility, TM6 is just your entry requirement with your initial location.  If you where in a hotel they would fill in the TM30 side of it.  If it is not filled out, you are not fined, the landlord is.  About 10 years ago I believe they changed the regulations.  The TM30 was required but any place with less than 4 rooms was excluded which allowed for it not to be filled out by landlords etc. of condos.    If you travel around in Thailand they are not (yet) requiring a TM30 to be filled in on return -- only foreign travel.  The original TM30 they require the landlord to submit, but they (at least in my case) allow me to report to immigration my return on any subsequent entry (within 24 hours) [acting as an authorized representative of the landlord]  

My guess is that there software has now been updated with a required documents checklist that must be provided and therefore regulations that were generally ignored are being required now.

First off when you are on your flight back to Thailand you must both fill in an embarking form; this is not in anyway to do with a TM-30. The house, home, condo, owner, must fill in a TM-30 form which you can get online or the immigration office. The owner must have copies of your passport and the passport entry page to show immigration together with the TM-30 with the address of where you are staying. Every time you leave or stay somewhere else weather in the country or outside of the country you must repeat this procedure to fill in the TM-30. However, only when you come back from abroad is your 90 day extension valid from when you set foot back into Thailand, providing you have a multi visa.      

• Like 1

Jomtien Immigration executed, for some time, the rule to report back when arriving from outside Thailand. Fine 200 Baht per day up to a maximum of 4000 Baht. They did not execute the rule when you move inside Thailand.

One year ago or so the lady at Jomtien Immigration sent me home declaring that "her boss made the decision" that reporting when coming back from outside Thailand is necessary no more.

• Like 2

@Kismet given the ever changing "rules" I'd think the best way forward for you would be to set up an account use the app to file TM30s for you and your wife. Minimal hassle (if it works!) and minimses any potential future problem if your local Immi changes the "rules".

11 minutes ago, Victor Paul said:

First off when you are on your flight back to Thailand you must both fill in an embarking form; this is not in anyway to do with a TM-30. The house, home, condo, owner, must fill in a TM-30 form which you can get online or the immigration office. The owner must have copies of your passport and the passport entry page to show immigration together with the TM-30 with the address of where you are staying. Every time you leave or stay somewhere else weather in the country or outside of the country you must repeat this procedure to fill in the TM-30. However, only when you come back from abroad is your 90 day extension valid from when you set foot back into Thailand, providing you have a multi visa.      

I the the point is that they are both part of the same organisation. I'm sure if you had to fill a form in when you checked into hospital giving your name, and then one every time a doctor came to see you....you would say, I have given my address to your hospital, why do you ask me again for the same information? Don't you have a computer system with files on it? Why isn't the information automatically added to your local file....why can't a part of the organisation talk to another part? Especially if you have to drive for two hours to give them the information.

I the the point is that they are both part of the same organisation. I'm sure if you had to fill a form in when you checked into hospital giving your name, and then one every time a doctor came to see you....you would say, I have given my address to your hospital, why do you ask me again for the same information? Don't you have a computer system with files on it? Why isn't the information automatically added to your local file....why can't a part of the organisation talk to another part? Especially if you have to drive for two hours to give them the information.
That is logic

This Is Thailand TIT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

@Kismet given the ever changing "rules" I'd think the best way forward for you would be to set up an account use the app to file TM30s for you and your wife. Minimal hassle (if it works!) and minimses any potential future problem if your local Immi changes the "rules".

Hi, which App is that? And mustn't that be done by the house owner?

Search for "section 38" in your app store. Possesor/tenant can also do it

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

You can do it online after registering at https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

They also have an app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=th.go.immigration.section38

https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/section38/id1451853492?l=th&mt=8

One of the options to report is as the "possessor" so if the landlord/houseowner can't/won't as long as you can register (you'll need info from them) then you should be able to report yourself.

Caveat: I have not personally used the above as no need to as yet.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, murraynz said:

i currently leave thailand within every 90 days, so that i dont have to do a 90 day report...

Isn't leaving the country every 90 days a bit OTT to avoid doing something that takes no more than 15 minutes at Jomtien immigration these days ?

just curious.

• Like 1

I live in Phuket.

I am not going to bore anyone with logic about any of this because there is no logic here... 

2 years ago it was announced that we aliens had  24 hours to report to immigration any time we stayed , even 1 night , in any place  other  than our registered address.

Phuket Town Immigration must have been a tad overwhelmed with 'reporters' , because within 5 months they changed it to 'Report within 24 hrs ( with some leniency ) if you have been out of Thailand."

Thats still the case today.

A 'drive thru  lane' with a booth has been built , and you pull up there and announce "Passport Update please"  and  hand your PP over and it disappears in behind the heavily tinted windows and they do something  in there , and  within a minute the girl hands it back you're told you can go.

Easy ... the difficult part is taking your life in your hands riding a scooter  there , when you have only just dealt with Thai Immigration the day before when you flew in.

The day before , where  representatives of The Department of Immigration  looked perturbed when you asked about what you had to do the next day , assured you that you were entered into the system ,  and replied  that you didnt need to have anything further to do with Thai Immigration until 89 days had passed ..

Edited by zaZa9

The comments so far show how ridiculous this TM30 thing is because each immigration office, even each immigration officer, makes it up as they go along. I have stayed in many hotels, guesthouses, somtimes for up to a month, sometimes just one or two nights If I'm alone they take and copy my passport but I've never been given anything to keep in my passport. If I am with my wife sometimes they are happy just with her ID. Since it was completed 5 years ago mostly I stay with my wife in our home near Kalasin for which she has blue book. Our nearest IO is Sakhon Nakhon, although I understand a new office has at last opened in Kalasin city. So far she has never done a TM30 and indeed has no idea she should or what it is. So far no difficulty for her or me. 

On 6/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, Jaxxper said:

Isn't leaving the country every 90 days a bit OTT to avoid doing something that takes no more than 15 minutes at Jomtien immigration these days ?

just curious.

Well, maybe it is easy to do: when you know how to do it.

There have been times in my life when I couldn't tie shoe laces, program a VCR, or use Excell. And until I actually learned those things, no amount of being told "It's easy!" actually helped the learning process.

Until someone publishes - and pins - a definitive, unambigious, fool-proof guide on how to do a TM30 (address report) and a TM47 (90 day report) at Jomtien, I am none the wiser (although I am comforted by your remark that it is easy once learned).

I do read these pages - and many people do offer useful comments on parts of the process, for some offices - but there seems overall so many traps, twists and turns (degrees of involvement or not by the landlord, books of various colors, etc.), so I suspect that any final guides (if ever produced) would more resemble a spider's web of options and alternatives, rather than a simple lineal process.