Thai immigration stinks

Want to inform what happened to two sisters of My wife yesterday at Souvannapouh AirPort.  The two sisters have been in Thailand twice before - with no problems and never overstayed.  They received the visastamp in Thai Embassy in Nairobi,Kenya.  The idea was as usual to spend 5 weeks with My wife and me in our house in Prachapkhirikhan and to spend a nice holiday on the beach.  They had cash with them - about 25000 bhat per person.  And what happened ?

The immigration officer took them to a room and Said to them to wait.  After about three hours They were told that their visa was cancelled and They were asked to sign a paper that They had not enough appropriate means to stay in Thailand- even if They had shown that they had enough Money. Of course They refused to sign and were then told They would be detained and brought to prison, at that point we managed to contact them but the immigration refused to talk to both me and the two sisters.

The sisters were later put on a nightflight back to Doha/Nairobi. And Migration officer Also Said that They don't talk to monkeys (!)

What would this forum recommend us to do? Should we try to get an apology from Immigration or just make the details Public in Sweden ( My home country) and in other web sites - coz this is clearly racism behaviour from Thais.

Immigration - Looking forward to your input

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I still don't believe they would do that. Deport someone they didn't like, yes. Use words like that is very unlikely though.

Something is off about this story.

Wanna bet?

• Thanks 2

I don't understand?? An apology for what? There are many farangs who got refused because they already come several times on tourist visas, so you can't say it's racism just because these girls are black. We don't know how long and on which period they already came in Thailand...

And about the vocabulary the officer is supposed to have used, I have big doubts...

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not sure this scenario is entirely about skin color, because many other races of people are experiencing the same thing. 

Racial prejudice , whitey  is wealthy , those were the days ..555

Edited by elliss

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I don't understand?? An apology for what? There are many farangs who got refused because they already come several times on tourist visas, so you can't say it's racism just because these girls are black. We don't know how long and on which period they already came in Thailand...

And about the vocabulary the officer is supposed to have used, I have big doubts...

Perhaps you missed the part where he said one of the IOs referred to his sisters as "monkeys?"

I'm just surprised that anyone is surprised. Many people are getting rejected for different reasons, not matter what race. Too bad they wasted time and money on a trip they weren't able to finish. Next time go somewhere else.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Perhaps you missed the part where he said one of the IOs referred to his sisters as "monkeys?"

This is what the OP wrote:

"Of course They refused to sign and were then told They would be detained and brought to prison, at that point we managed to contact them but the immigration refused to talk to both me and the two sisters.

The sisters were later put on a nightflight back to Doha/Nairobi. And Migration officer Also Said that They don't talk to monkeys (!)"

My knowledge of the English language is insufficient to figure out in the conversation with whom an immigration official allegedly referred to the two ladies as monkeys.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I still don't believe they would do that. Deport someone they didn't like, yes. Use words like that is very unlikely though.

Something is off about this story.

I tend to agree (and i don't have a lot of sympathy for IO here), The only thing i can think of is if it was a response to the ladies being very loud and abusive towards the immigration officers as they protested their denial... (not that its right, but it puts it in perspective..)

Edited by LongTang

40 some years ago, I worked with the US Immigration in Thailand to resettle refugees from Laos and Cambodia.  I was not impressed with some of the U.S. immigration officers, to put it mildly.  Arse-holes.

• Like 1