Going for marriage visa ,what happens if refused?

You mean if they refuse you the extension?

You have to leave the country and get a new visa.

Another option might be to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife, but i don't know if you can apply for this after a one year extension application is denied.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You mean if they refuse you the extension?

You have to leave the country and get a new visa.

Another option might be to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife, but i don't know if you can apply for this after a one year extension application is denied.

In that case i suppose i must keep 800k in the bank just in case? but then i hear they will try to make me get a retirement visa again.

If you are refused an extension or a visa, means that you no longer have the right to stay inside the Kingdom of Thailand. That´s what happens.

If you change to extension based on marriage, then you will only need 400K in bank or a monthly 40K income, that you can show verification and origin for. 800K is no longer a relevant number for you.

As you under stand, a refusal of showing one of the two required ways of means to supporting yourself and your family, will lead to that your application for extension beening denied.

Your best option will be as BritManToo states, to apply for a Non-O Multiple Entry that still don´t requires any proof of fund or money in the bank.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

As i dont want to leave 400k sitting in the bank for ever

For the extension based on marriage the 400K only has to be in the account for 2 months prior to the date of application. Once the extension is issued, you can withdraw and use.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What do you mean by refuse the extension?

Do you mean they would not accept your application? That would only happen if you did not have all the required supporting documents or the 400k baht not being in the bank for 2 months. Not hard the resolve a document problem.

Or do you mean it was disapproved during the under consideration period of 30 days after you apply. That seldom happens since they will contact you to try and resolve the problem. 

Yes thats what i meant ,as ive never done a marriage visa before ,i dont know what can go wrong ,so to speak ,13 years doing retirement ,never ever a problem .i will have all the documentation ,so i guess just worry for nothing ,anyway thanks .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

As i dont want to leave 400k sitting in the bank for ever ,after 13 years going next time for marriage visa ,what happens if its refused and you do not have 800k in the bank ?

As long as you have at least 400K in the bank for at least 2 months before you apply, and can provide all the paperwork, there’s no reason why your application will be refused. 

It’s best to apply as early as you can in case they give you the run around with paperwork. Getting a list of required documents, from the immigration office you apply at, increases your chance of getting the application right in one visit.

Ultimately if you can’t provide what’s required to extend (any type) your stay, they would deny your extension application and give you 7 days to leave the country.

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

As long as you have at least 400K in the bank for at least 2 months before you apply

I am sure the OP is referring to the 400k baht being in the bank requirement for extensions based upon retirement as the reason for changing to one based upon marriage.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

54 minutes ago, elviajero said:

As long as you have at least 400K in the bank for at least 2 months before you apply

I am sure the OP is referring to the 400k baht being in the bank requirement for extensions based upon retirement as the reason for changing to one based upon marriage.

I agree, but don't get your point.

My understanding is that he doesn't want to continue with retirement extensions because he has to tie up 400K, so he wants to change to a spouse extension. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

My understanding is that he doesn't want to continue with retirement extensions because he has to tie up 400K, so he wants to change to a spouse extension. 

I wrote the same thing. Just a few different words.

I wrote marriage instead of spouse is the only real difference which is more correct IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I agree, but don't get your point.

correct,cant see why we should have to leave it in the bank forever

What Hayek's if one immigration officer tells me I need 400 k in the bank, despite getting more than double 40k monthly from abroad in my Thai bank account?

Ask to see another officer?

Ask to see the boss?

Go with my high ranking officer friend?

On 6/30/2019 at 10:06 AM, bert bloggs said:

In that case i suppose i must keep 800k in the bank just in case? but then i hear they will try to make me get a retirement visa again.

Why would they refuse. Unless you've done something wrong. I just changed my retirement visa to a marriage Visa. I just kept 400 K in the bank for two months before I made the application and it was a breeze. Whole process took about 40 minutes. I came back a month later and it took just three minutes to collect my passport and a new 90 day report. 

24 minutes ago, Raesum said:

Don’t forget to take at least 4 photos showing you and your wife in your house and also one which shows you and your wife and your house number.Plus a ( hand drawn) map of where you live.

Ive heard others mention this before, don't Thai marriage certificates have a date on them? So negating the need for photos that quite frankly you could knock up the day before, I've got 1 but can't read It anyhoo 

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

Ive heard others mention this before, don't Thai marriage certificates have a date on them? So negating the need for photos that quite frankly you could knock up the day before, I've got 1 but can't read It anyhoo 

Not only do they have a date on them, some offices also require a form from the amphur (Kor Ror 2) stating that the marriage is still current. The photos also show its current and not arranged a long time ago (and was a marriage of convenience).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

The marriage certificate has the date you go married on it.

There is also a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry that immigration want a new print out of done of at a Amphoe to prove you are still married.

The photos are to prove you are living together.

• Like 1

Make sure that your Kor Ror 2 document is no older than 2 weeks as mine was 6 weeks old and I had to get a new one. Don't forget the witnesses who will be interviewed by Immigration and they need to live near you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Make sure that your Kor Ror 2 document is no older than 2 weeks as mine was 6 weeks old and I had to get a new one. Don't forget the witnesses who will be interviewed by Immigration and they need to live near you

My neighbours who live on each side could be witnesses, also the Puu Yai Ban who only 2 km up the road. There are quite a few more who have known us for years as we have lived in the house for 15 years next month.

My retirement extension is due on 23rd August but I will be trying for the marriage extension this time due to the forex rates. I will be going to Immigration next week with my wife to get the list of paperwork and photos etc that they will need.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

23 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That rule seems to apply at different offices (like most rules). I have used my original pink marriage certificate and the Kor Ror 2 (2004)  for the last 10 years, never once has an IO queried it. But, as others have mentioned, most amphurs will issue a new one upon a small payment, I believe.

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

That rule seems to apply at different offices (like most rules). I have used my original pink marriage certificate and the Kor Ror 2 (2004)  for the last 10 years, never once has an IO queried it. But, as others have mentioned, most amphurs will issue a new one upon a small payment, I believe.

I got 2 copies of my marriage certificate, they are both white , never seen a pink one 

Edited by brianj1964

It was only for the original application for the extension and I have not had any problems since. A new Kor Ror 2 only cost my 20 baht and immigration even gave me a letter to give to the Amphur office