U.S. Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in war crimes trial

webfact

14 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Closed ranks, nothing new.. the Tao of the military world over....

Come on be fair. The jury consisted of independent and neutral citizens. Seven good men and true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Come on be fair. The jury consisted of independent and neutral citizens. Seven good men and true.

If your comment above is sarcasm, then you can disregard my comment below.

It was a military jury, not a civilian one... So not exactly either independent or neutral.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If your comment above is sarcasm, then you can disregard my comment below.

It was a military jury, not a civilian one... So not exactly either independent or neutral.

Of course Yogi's comment was extremely sarcastic ????.

Or at least I hope so, as if not I will look very silly!

17 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Thats ok then. If they murder and behead then we should do it too.

So we become them, and I thought we were there because we want it to be better and them more like us.

With your view it seems it is them that are winning. We are coming down to their level.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I have to disagree with your second para.

"I thought we were there because we want it to be better and them more like us."....

I'm sure you don't genuinely believe this?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

This man had done 8 combat tours.  Unless you have ever been in the military and in a combat zone, you will never understand the stress one is put under.

The Us  military operates under the Code of Military Justice.  Only a military jury could ever be qualified to judge him.

He was acquitted and I respect the decision.  

From some of the testimony details recited in the OP, it certainly sounds like there was some level of doubt presented to the jury. I haven't followed the case closely enough to have a personal opinion...

Except to add, being in the military, and being a veteran of combat, doesn't give this guy or anyone else, at least in the U.S. military, a free hand to deliberately kill or injure innocent civilians / non-combatants...

There was explanation in the article of why he might have be acquitted of the main murder charge.... but nothing much to explain the not guilty findings as relates to the other charges and victims.

Gallagher also was charged with attempted murder in the wounding of two unarmed civilians - a schoolgirl and an elderly man — shot from a sniper's perch, as well as with firing deliberately on other non-combatants and with obstruction of justice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Unless you have served in the military, especially in a combat zone, you are not qualified to give an opinion. 

What about Lieutenant Calley. Did you have to have served in the military or a combat zone to have had an opinion about him and his actions?

Americans, and the GOP make the great mistake of thinking they are more patriotic and moral,  and troll or  use hate-speech  to any valid feedback on their gross indecency or atrocities

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/10/the-crimes-of-seal-team-6/

Sounds like Gallagher basically confessed  "Gallagher also texted a photo of himself with the dead youth to a fellow SEAL with the message, “Good story behind this, got him with my hunting knife.” In another text message, Gallagher boasted, “I’ve got a cool story for you when I get back. I’ve got my knife skills on.”

oh well.

I do agree that what the  Military requires of it's  soldiers and what it does to them exacerbates the worse tendencies in many, esp in combat,  a normal person has some regrets on murdering another human-being ,  that and the anti-psychotics  that are often  given  as  the answer to the  brutal  blight  on our world https://www.stripes.com/news/study-antipsychotic-drug-prescribed-for-ptsd-is-ineffective-1.150989

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So in your book, objecting to a soldier allegedly shooting unarmed civilians -- an elderly man and a schoolgirl -- is evidence of being "pussyfied"?

In reference to him...Where's the evidence/facts?  Are you the plaintiffs attorney?  Were you there?  Are you god? How much do you know about what happened? I'm just asking....

My response is based on factual determination of innocence by a court of law of the alleged accusations with exception of one crime...his photograph with the deceased ISIS member.

To answer the other part of your question.  NO, "ALLEGEDLY" innocent people should not be harmed.  The court has rendered its verdict based on all presented information.   

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Unless you have served in the military, especially in a combat zone, you are not qualified to give an opinion. 

I've never served in an military action. But as far as I'm concerned the rules of war that the enemies use are the rules they apply. Sick of this pansy western bulllshit. You want to hide behind apparently women and children in the same clothes and try and kill me? Sorry you all die.

But that's just me.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Sujo said:

So we become them, and I thought we were there because we want it to be better and them more like us.

And thus the 'we are as bad as them' straw man argument predictably rears its head.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sujo said:

Thats ok then. If they murder and behead then we should do it too.

With your view it seems it is them that are winning. We are coming down to their level.

The only way we will in is coming down to their level. Destroy them and then re-educate.

if you think assimilation works - you are a fool.

• Like 1