Centipedes - way too many!

Na Fan

We kill 4 or 5 of them every day. Those nasty & dangerous buggers - gf panics every time she sees one. 

Both of our bathrooms have them and they re-appear every day. We kill a bunch, next day there's more. Mostly small ones, but occasionally a larger one.

We have a toddler now and this is becoming worrying.

They appear to be nested somewhere in the piping? Or inside the walls or floor? 

The house isn't that old, and we're somewhat central, e.g. not out in the sticks. 

Are exterminators a thing that works around here? Or is it just another Baht-sink and nothing happens?

You sure do need the exterminators in.  There is a past TV forum topic on 'Pest Control Companies', I suggest that you read that.  I wouldn't take any chances with those nasty things.    

Edited by Pilotman

I was stung on the hand by a very small one and was in agony for almost ten minutes afterward.

The pain didn't fully go away for twelve hours.

I see them in all sizes and wonder what the sting of a big one would be like.

As recommended above, get an exterminator and try to find out where they are breeding.

I was stung on the hand by a very small one and was in agony for almost ten minutes afterward.
The pain didn't fully go away for twelve hours.
I see them in all sizes and wonder what the sting of a big one would be like.
As recommended above, get an exterminator and try to find out where they are breeding.
The sting of a big one is agony ,my sister in law was stung by one

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JingerBen said:

wonder what the sting of a big one would be like.

Google “coyote peterson centipede”, great video.

This guy specializes in experiencing some of the world’s most painful stings and bites. The giant desert centipede was No. 1 in pain, worse than the bullet ant, and the only one for which he required medical attention.

• Like 2

There are many different types of centipedes. And they can be found almost all over the world. Centipedes have even been found in the Arctic Circle. 

But the tropical variety grow much larger than their Arctic cousins. 

Some people in Japan even keep centipedes for pets. 

In my home region of Canada, many of us ignore the common house centipede, because it doesn’t eat human food, and it comes out at night and hunts other bugs you don’t want to have. 

The house centipede almost never bites humans and usually won’t penetrate the skin. If it does penetrate, the house centipede venom in Canada won’t hurt any worse than a slight swelling or localized temporary minor pain. I’ve let them crawl on my hands and arms many times with no bite. We ignore them and because of them, we have no other bugs around. 

Now their large tropical cousins can be a different story. You don’t want those ones around probably. 

Everything you wanted to know about centipedes:

https://pestkill.org/centipedes/types/

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

If you have centipedes in the house, get the exterminators in.

https://www.thoughtco.com/difference-between-a-centipede-and-a-millipede-1968358

3389976199_a3604e87c8_o_3390787978_78f2f

Centipedes bite, millipedes are generally harmless.

We used to have a seasonal plague of millipedes, zillions of them would come into the house from the garden when the rain started. Since we have had guinea fowl and chickens I've seen hardly any. I've also seen two of our chooks fighting over a huge centipede.

Obviously not a lot of help for our OP with them in the bathroom but chooks really like to eat these things so if you have a problem and a reasonable size garden get some hens. There is of course the bonus of delicious eggs ????

I also dislike centipedes but find millipedes interesting.    Seeing  a millipede moving at full speed reminds me of a locomotive for some reason.

I've told friends that millipedes are dangerous to  dead plants as that is what they eat.  Otherwise, they are harmless.     

15 cm. seems to be the common length of them in Thailand.

This crazy Aussie fellow seems to get over his concern about the centipede.

I had some small centipede in my bathroom and found the toilet seal to be slightly leaking. I pulled up the toilet found the nest under it. Cleaned it off and resealed the toilet to the plumbing, resealed the edge of the toilet. Problem gone. If they find water they will lay eggs and multiply...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

I also regularly see them since about two weeks arround the house, before i didn't see a single one. So maybe this is a seasonal thing?

Edit:

After looking this up on Google i learned that what i see arround here are actually Millipedes and not Centipedes

I think it is the season for them , just last evening I was riding the bicycle through the rice fields and saw many Cent and Millipedes running around.  The 6" long millipedes I let walk over my hand , makes the wife scream, not much else does these days.

20 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The sting of a big one is agony ,my sister in law was stung by one

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

there are some huge ones around, I fell off my seat at the fruit farm once when I saw one...Thai's are used to them obviously but Farrang only used to seeing them in horror movies so I think they are baffled at how I react with terror

Image result for human centipede

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Also use Chaindrite spray, I have used this stuff for the last 8 years, it almost kills on contact, we had a massive roach problem when we moved into this place, hardly ever see one these days.

I came across a Millipede or Centipede on the front drive a week or 2 ago, sprayed it with this and it literally curled up and died.

chain.jpg

Chaindrite is effective  but YE GOTS TO CLEAN UP THE RESIDUE ON THE FLOOR!!! we had a plague of baby centipedes in our kitchen and I dosed them with the Chaindrite which did the trick...swept up the little carcasses but neglected to wipe up the oily residue on the polished tile floor and then here comes tutsi and whammo! after ortho surgery and some titanium screws and a plate and there is a distinct hobble, tutsi is a shadow of his former vigourous self...

and the wimmin folk gather around 'gotcher ass where we want ye now...ye wanna get him now, girls?' 'nah, let him squirm a bit...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would agree with dampness, they love damp places. We are in rainy season so I would assume that is why many of them are more present. I see a lot of them near our garden hose where the water leaks a bit into the soil from the valve. They can be quite fast too.

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

there are some huge ones around, I fell off my seat at the fruit farm once when I saw one...Thai's are used to them obviously but Farrang only used to seeing them in horror movies so I think they are baffled at how I react with terror

Image result for human centipede

Quite a generalisation there.. This particular farang has lived in the tropics most of his life. Centipedes have never bothered me. 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Quite a generalisation there.. This particular farang has lived in the tropics most of his life. Centipedes have never bothered me. 

Well I've been here 7 years and I've only seen them twice while here... It was meant as a generalization but theres always an exception to the rule

Edited by richiejom

They could be living in your septic tank and coming in through the pipe and into your house through shower or sink drains.  I would get an exterminator.  I use Rentokil and have a yearly service contract with them.  I had a major problem those little ants, some cockroaches and did actually see a centipede come up through the shower drain.  Since I used the professional exterminator the ants are all but gone and have not seen a roach or any other creepy crawley.