Transferwise.. No Guarantee

21 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What has this got to do with BKB? They are on the receiving end.

Probably the issue lies with TW.

"Probably the issue lies with TW". It certainly did with me, Transferwise cannot be trusted.

• Sad 2

The 3 banks TW use as intermediaries are Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank and TMB Bank. I have accounts at BBK and TMB but not Kasikorn - sods law, on 2nd July, TW sent my 50,000 to Kasikorn en route to Bangkok Bank. This is too much like a lottery where the customer has no control. I am therefore going to register with Bangkok Bank's London office and do transfers through them.

• Thanks 1

FTT is the code that Bangkok Bank put in the savings account book when an International deposit is made. It is the code that Immigration look for when determining the 65000 baht income method.

Edited by cassde

On 7/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, PhonThong said:

This time however, it showed up as an "interbank transfer". Meaning it went to another bank in Thailand first and then was transferred to my BKK bank account from there. 

This is the concept of transfer wise. Clearly stated in the section "how does it work". They pool money transfers inside the countries involved so that most of the time there is no _international transfer at all_ However your bank might issue you a statement that all the transfers where international.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What is FTT? You are sending posts to a forum, not making text messages.

Foreign Telegraphic Transfer (FTT)....the original name for a more modern name of Electronic Funds Transfer.  It's the coding that appears in Bangkok Bank passbooks for foreign transfers via SWIFT/ACH/etc.

Edited by Pib

I use Transferwise now for many years. Today I received my money with the description: "Interbank Transfer via SMART" for the first time in all these years. I am not happy with that. I will contact Transferwise and tell theme wath the consequentes will be when this will be the standard in the future.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Not anymore.  I just spoke with TW.  They have changed the way they code things and will not change it again.  They claim it is to make things faster and cheaper.  According to TW, you will no longer get FTT coding.  I explained out situation here and they did not seem to care.

As far as downloading statements from TW for immigration, I have no experience with that or it will actually make a difference.

Maybe they will start to care once expats stop using them. Who else is using TW to send foreign money to Thailand (aside from guys sponsoring a girl)? I assume that the volume for retirement transfers is the majority.  Maybe I am wrong?

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
1 hour ago, Pib said:

But those Transferwise PDF receipts (easily forged) are not "Thai bank documents" required by the immigration police order/guidance.

48 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But they could easily call us on that if suspected and require download at special desk as proof positive.  Having that known as a possibility believe would stop most. 

Have your tablet or smart phone to hand. Proof is just a few taps away via the T/W app. If there is still doubt, you can go back up the chain and show the deposit from your home bank or pension provider.

21 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What has this got to do with BKB? They are on the receiving end.

Probably the issue lies with TW.

..don't all international monies deposited into Thai bank accounts, need to go first to the Thai Government Bank then re-directed once cleared..maybe i have been told incorrectly!

Edited by tandor

3 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Maybe they will start to care once expats stop using them. Who else is using TW to send foreign money to Thailand (aside from guys sponsoring a girl)? I assume that the volume for retirement transfers is the majority.  Maybe I am wrong?

I'm not going to stop using them.  I don't use the monthly income method for extension of stay purposes....I just want to get money transferred to Thailand....really don't care about the coding given on the Thai bank end....just want it to arrive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tandor said:

..don't all international monies deposited into Thai bank accounts, need to go first to the Thai Government Bank then re-directed once cleared..maybe i have been told incorrectly!

Nope....you been told incorrectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Inflammatory/off topic post removed and subsequent response.

Keep it civil please. Any member does not have to justify as to why they choose to respond to a topic.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Below is an email I received today from Transferwise. 

Dont shoot me I'm just the messenger,

Anastassija J (TransferWise)

Jul 4, 22:18 CEST

Hello Keith, 

Thank you for your email. 

Currently 2 of our Thai banking partners are capable of showing your transfer as a foreign transfer in your bank statement. 

If you wish to route your transfers through the banking partner that shows your transfer as a foreign transfer please let us know. However, there is still a small chance that your transfer will go through the third partner. 

If you need proof for the local authorities that this is a foreign transfer, please follow these steps: 

You will need to reach out to Bangkok Bank branch where the recipient account is maintained and provide the following documents: 

1. Bangkok Bank Savings Passbook or Statement showing the specific transaction
  2. Your Passport
  3. Agreement of the purchase of Condominium (for purchasing accommodation purposes) if your transfers are for this reason.

By following the above steps, Bangkok Bank will provide " Confirmation Letter of International Funds Transfer"  or what we usually known as "FET" to you which you will be able to use to show it as a proof to the local authorities.  There is an administration fee of 100 THB to produce this official document which will be payable to Bangkok Bank.

Should you have any more questions, feel free to contact us anytime. We're always here to help.

Kind regards,
Anastassija
  • Like 1

I use Transferwise now for many years. Today I received my money with the description: "Interbank Transfer via SMART" for the first time in all these years. I am not happy with that. I will contact Transferwise and tell theme wath the consequentes will be when this will be the standard in the future.
I can't see an office like Jomtien letting it slide, more likely will be rubbing their hands

11 minutes ago, keithcresswell said:

Below is an email I received today from Transferwise. 

Dont shoot me I'm just the messenger,

Anastassija J (TransferWise)

Jul 4, 22:18 CEST

Hello Keith, 

Thank you for your email. 

Currently 2 of our Thai banking partners are capable of showing your transfer as a foreign transfer in your bank statement. 

If you wish to route your transfers through the banking partner that shows your transfer as a foreign transfer please let us know. However, there is still a small chance that your transfer will go through the third partner. 

If you need proof for the local authorities that this is a foreign transfer, please follow these steps: 

You will need to reach out to Bangkok Bank branch where the recipient account is maintained and provide the following documents: 

1. Bangkok Bank Savings Passbook or Statement showing the specific transaction
  2. Your Passport
  3. Agreement of the purchase of Condominium (for purchasing accommodation purposes) if your transfers are for this reason.

By following the above steps, Bangkok Bank will provide " Confirmation Letter of International Funds Transfer"  or what we usually known as "FET" to you which you will be able to use to show it as a proof to the local authorities.  There is an administration fee of 100 THB to produce this official document which will be payable to Bangkok Bank.

Should you have any more questions, feel free to contact us anytime. We're always here to help.

Kind regards,
Anastassija

But although Bangkok Bank would issue a FET just like they will issue a Credit Advice showing it was an international transfer Bangkok Bank may not include that transfer on the "monthly income letter for immigration" that immigration is expecting to get.   

Then a person needs to hope by showing the FET, the Credit Advice, and/or the Transferwise PDF Receipt that will satisfy immigration.  With all the various ways to internationally transfer money now days and the varied coding, we need to hope immigration will be be far-minded and accept such documents such as FET, Credit Advice, etc., otherwise there are going to be a lot of confrontations/arguments when people apply for extension of stays.

• Like 2

Does anybody know if Bangkok Bank will provide FET (Foreign Exchange Transaction) forms for monthly transfers?  I know that these are generally used for condo purchases but I suppose that this might be an option for the months our transfers were coded as anything other than FTT transfers. 

I know they charge 100 baht for each FET form but that would be affordable if they would indeed provide these for those of us that need them.  Funds would have to be sent in a foreign currency and then converted to baht by the accepting bank in Thailand (in order to get a FET form).

Just now, Pib said:

the "monthly income letter for immigration" that immigration is expecting to get.   

This is the first time I have heard of a monthly income letter for immigration.  What is this? 

I thought that the bank provided a letter stating that it is your account (not a joint account etc), in your name with your info on it and another letter showing your last balance and 12 months of 65k or more deposits.

10 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Does anybody know if Bangkok Bank will provide FET (Foreign Exchange Transaction) forms for monthly transfers?  I know that these are generally used for condo purchases but I suppose that this might be an option for the months our transfers were coded as anything other than FTT transfers. 

I know they charge 100 baht for each FET form but that would be affordable if they would indeed provide these for those of us that need them.  Funds would have to be sent in a foreign currency and then converted to baht by the accepting bank in Thailand (in order to get a FET form).

I'm not sure but I think generally Thai banks are only required to issue FETs for amounts over 50K USD equivalent.  Otherwise they will just issue a foreign exchange "letter" which is similar to the actual FET form...or just issue a Credit Advice.  I think you will find the policy varies from bank to bank.

8 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

This is the first time I have heard of a monthly income letter for immigration.  What is this? 

I thought that the bank provided a letter stating that it is your account (not a joint account etc), in your name with your info on it and another letter showing your last balance and 12 months of 65k or more deposits.

By monthly income letter I mean what you called the 12 months of 65K deposits. We are talking the same thing...just using slightly different names. 

Just now, Pib said:

By monthly income letter I mean what you called the 12 months of 65K deposits. We are talking the same thing...just using slightly different names. 

Okay thanks.  I was worried that they added a third letter which was to be required from our banks....

Anyone ever tried to withdraw money in Thailand with foreign creditcard and show their account statement to immigration? Withdrawal then states withdrawn Thailand.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, stat said:

Anyone ever tried to withdraw money in Thailand with foreign creditcard and show their account statement to immigration? Withdrawal then states withdrawn Thailand.

Thanks!

Won't work.  Rules state that it must be a foreign transfer into a Thai bank account (in your name alone).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might I suggest that we all call a halt to all this wild speculation and instead await developments as they unfold.

I suggest this because we are reaching the time when the last embassy letters to be issued will be expiring and applicants will soon be attending for renewals using this new method of proving income.

And I'll be one of them. I'll be there on the 25th with a mixed bag of T/W transfers and direct deposits of UK pensions.

I shall, of course let everyone know how it goes and make any recommendations that may come to light. And I'm sure we will be hearing from others in the near future.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Might I suggest that we all call a halt to all this wild speculation and instead await developments as they unfold.

You can suggest what you like - in the interim up to date reports are useful.

13 minutes ago, pontious said:
19 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

13 minutes ago, pontious said:

You can suggest what you like - in the interim up to date reports are useful.

You did read ALL of my post before responding did you?

'' And I'll be one of them. I'll be there on the 25th with a mixed bag of T/W transfers and direct deposits of UK pensions.

''I shall, of course let everyone know how it goes and make any recommendations that may come to light. And I'm sure we will be hearing from others in the near future.''

Factual experiences will be much more useful than endless and mainly pointless speculation.

So we are actually in agreement, are we not?

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, PhonThong said:

In all fairness, I was one that defended the idea that Bangkok Bank was a sure bet. Needless to say, I have changed my tune.

Personal experience is much sounder than hearsay! I wonder why Transferwise simply don't use the target bank directly since this is an issue they are now well aware of. 

Oh well, my first ever one did not go directly so I never felt inclined to trust my extension on using them monthly.