Korean YouTube star says he was ripped off by Pattaya baht bus driver - officials investigate

rooster59

Korean YouTube star says he was ripped off by Pattaya baht bus driver - officials investigate

FB_IMG_1562311341975.jpg

A Korean YouTuber says he was ripped off by a Baht bus driver in Pattaya.

‘BongBong’ who has more than 59,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel shared a video claiming how he and his friends were charged 100 baht each to go from Second Road to Jomtien Beach. 

In his video, BongBong said he didn’t know the fare for a baht bus and it wasn’t until later when he saw another baht bus that he realised he had paid well over the normal 10 baht fare.

The video was uploaded in March but on Thursday went viral on Thai social media. 

According to Sophon Cable, representatives from Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative have investigated the incident.

They said that baht bus drivers who break the rules and overcharged passengers are reprimanded.

However, they said that Bong Bong’s video didn’t contain any information that could help them locate the offending driver. 

They said that if a passenger as a complaint about the driver they should take a photo of the vehicle registration plate and driver identification which is located at the back of the bus. 

Officials said they would check CCTV footage from the area in a bid to bring the driver to justice.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-07

You can say that public transport providers in Pattaya do not discriminate who they cheat and swindle....YouTube star, tier-tube star, if and when they can they cheat everybody sort of national hobby, and yet, millions are still coming to Pattaya...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

video didn’t contain any information that could help them locate the offending driver. 

RTP in Pattaya allow the taxi mafia to trade illegally 24 hours a day, seven days a week, ripping off the public at large.  They're hardly going to spring into action over this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This guy should not leave Korea. A little bit naive. I traveled a lot and I almost never found a tourist place where they didn't try to rip me off. But I have to admit I have never been to Korea. 

• Haha 1

The ten baht fare only applies if you hop on and hop off on the normal route and the driver can pick up additional passengers, if you flag one down and request a specific destination it’s a negotiated rate and they won’t stop to pick up other passengers. 

When I was there they offered me tuk tuk (cheap) or taxi (negotiated)

• Like 2

I once saw 2 Asians (I don't know if they were Korean or not) get off the bus and just open their hands and reveal 4 - 500 baht. The driver helped himself to 200 Baht and everyone was happy.

No, I didn't intervene. I just gave him my 10 baht and smiled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

when i was there i got on and went about two blocks and then they stopped. "Finish!" 

no this was not on Soi 6.

That was the ‘minnow, minnow’ truck ????

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Since he boarded on 2nd Rd, facing completely the wrong way, the standard fare would not be 10 baht to Jomtiem Beach.

Exactly.

A complete blown up story of a newbie having no clue how it works.

For a charterted pickup going from point to point the 100 Baht is not excessive.

10 Baht from 2nd rd to Jomtien :passifier:

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Since he boarded on 2nd Rd, facing completely the wrong way, the standard fare would not be 10 baht to Jomtiem Beach. It is usually 20 baht from past South Rd. I suspect he asked the driver to go to Jomtiem, when he was going to Naklua and switched to 'Taxi mode' and 100 baht each would be fair fare!

you are 100%  correct--the korean man should get his facts correct, before making a fuss, also, if he paid a 'private hire" of 100thb for more than one person,  his ride is still very cheap...

the 10baht bus trips are so incredibly cheap,its not worth worrying about the odd driver who overcharges..