Long read Unpaid bill guesthouse..plus other advice needed

Before i explain i know ive been stupid and nieve..i arrived 30th may  and got a 30 day visa with no return as wasnt sure how long i was going to stay but had easily enough for 3 months.cash.

Had some issues in bangkok  on  1st of june which led to my funds being depleted trusting the wrong people not buying women. had good insurance wont help me .my flight was delayed coming here and im entitled to 600euro compensation which i filed for on 3rd june was told il recieve comp in 3 to 4 WEEKS.

I had family send me some money and carried on my holiday but now i was on a smaller budget.long and short is i booked in a guesthouse explained my situation they took my passport and said i could stay till i got my money....now if you noticed my visa ran out on the 30th and yesterday the guesthouse must of called police as i was woken by 10 armed police in 4 trucks and took to immigration .i managed to plead with my mother which wasnt easy and got 7000bhatt to pay overstay and visa...

this morning the guesthouse have said if i dont pay my bill of 4500 bhatt they will call the police again on me...my compensation isnt here yet and my only communication is by email im told its being processed as urgent..

I want to know what will happen on friday if police come againwhats the law do i go jail..i cant ask family or friends for anymore and ive no intention of not paying but im not sure i can and obviously im very worried hiding in my room with 12 BHATT  left.thanks in advance.  Richard head.

• Sad 4

I understand why some think this is an attempted scam, but my guess is that the basic facts are as the OP has stated. At this stage, I am not sure he will have the funds to get home. Much of the 600 euros he is relying on will go in paying off his debts. Flights at short notice at this time of year tend to be expensive.

In the short term, I think he may be OK, as long as the guesthouse believe him about the compensation he is due. Calling the police again is not going to help them get their money. Indeed, it may reduce their chances. It makes sense for them just to continue to hold onto the passport.

If you’re arrested again, and charged, you will either be bailed pending court or held in jail until the court hearing.

The guesthouse can’t legally hold your passport, but if you take action against them they’ll almost definitely press charges against you.

IMO you need to agree a repayment date with the guesthouse and get family/friends to send you the money if the compensation doesn’t come through in time. 

I dont see that you have any choice other than to pay your debt.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulanna said:

my compensation isnt here yet and my only communication is by email im told its being processed as urgent..

Money transfer by WU only takes a few minutes for it to be in country and picked up.  So why has this avenue not been taken?

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, BritTim said:

I understand why some think this is an attempted scam, but my guess is that the basic facts are as the OP has stated. At this stage, I am not sure he will have the funds to get home. Much of the 600 euros he is relying on will go in paying off his debts. Flights at short notice at this time of year tend to be expensive.

In the short term, I think he may be OK, as long as the guesthouse believe him about the compensation he is due. Calling the police again is not going to help them get their money. Indeed, it may reduce their chances. It makes sense for them just to continue to hold onto the passport.

The guest want their money, not surprising and quite possible the guesthouse owner has been through this before and compassion is all used up.

Did you just tell them about the coming compensation money or did you show them the e-mails? Have you shown them the most recent e-mail from the compensation outfit?

Ultimately the guesthouse owner won't be all that impressed with the e-mails, he wants his money, but it might reduce the tension a little bit.

I hope you have learned several lessons in life including respect for others and for yourself, in that you will in the future do things in a much more logical and mature way. 

I have a hard time believing this post. But if true, you don't have emergency credit card for backup ? I always have a least 2 back up cards, stored separate from my wallet, and have the account numbers written down for extra security. As you are posting this, you must have a computer, and or mobile phone. Do what many have suggested, sell what ever you have, call your mom to send money via Western Union. Get yourself home ASAP, and stay there until you learn to be more responsible.

Edited by Billpro785

On July 10, 2019 at 12:57 PM, Paulanna said:

managed to plead with my mother which wasnt easy and got 7000bhatt to pay overstay and visa...

On July 10, 2019 at 5:00 PM, wotsdermatter said:

Money transfer by WU only takes a few minutes for it to be in country and picked up.  So why has this avenue not been taken?

'nuf sed.

He and his mother seem to know HOW to transfer money and apparently she knows him well enough not to bail him out for anything more than baht 7000. Sounds like he'd rather deal further with the police than with Mom.

If he can't get anyone to send him baht 4500 for the amount due, that should tell you something about his personal history and about how much money he probably thought adequate for a 2 or 3 month stay.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DiDiChok said:

The very first time I came to Thailand, I paid the hotel in full up front for my stay and for a taxi back to the airport.  Inevitably, when I ran out of money, it didn't matter.

Wow. Words to live by. 

Have to to admit I never thought of  running totally out of money as inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billpro785 said:

I have a hard time believing this post. But if true, you don't have emergency credit card for backup ? I always have a least 2 back up cards, stored separate from my wallet, and have the account numbers written down for extra security. As you are posting this, you must have a computer, and or mobile phone. Do what many have suggested, sell what ever you have, call your mom to send money via Western Union. Get yourself home ASAP, and stay there until you learn to be more responsible.

Or marry a rich Thai woman who walks beside you. It's called a walking ATM.

how did you lose all your money for a 3 month stay in 1 day? You said no girls were involved. Did you try to buy drugs?  Seems you never traveled before, Thailand was the wrong place to start. A newbie tourist can be spotted a mile away!

I would suggest you find a means to pay up.

The guesthouse must be well connected.

My mother in law had a court order to have a UK national free loader evicted from her rental. It took weeks to convince the local PD to help evict him.

This owner had 10 show up!

31 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

The guesthouse must be well connected.

My mother in law had a court order to have a UK national free loader evicted from her rental. It took weeks to convince the local PD to help evict him.

In the UK? If so there's legal problems evicting tenants, so it's not surprising. But a non-paying foreign tenant in Thailand has few rights - even many paid tenants get ripped off on return deposits for flimsy reasons. I'm sure the cops would be happy to help the guest house given the issue is about getting the foreigner to hand over money. 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, Paulanna said:

my flight was delayed coming here and im entitled to 600euro compensation

This is a lot of compensation for a flight delay, suggests that it might have been a decent ticket on a quality airline. Ticket conditions and flexibility vary according to fare class - long haul flights may have one, three, six or twelve month validity, so there's a good chance of a return ticket still being valid subject to a date change fee (perhaps €150 or so).

Whatever happens, as others have commented, you're going to need to get someone to wire you the cash pronto, and enough of it to cover the full extent of your ongoing guest house costs, plus the cost of flight date changes or a new flight out if it's expired, as well as incidentals to buy food etc. On the plus side, sounds like you got 30 days extension so you're not on overstay.