Major hassle at Sungai Kolok on a border bounce...

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

Police orders do and have changed immigration rules.

If you have 400k in the bank for a marriage extension and they ask you to keep it in the bank for the consideration period it is hardly "all over the shop".

Besides, if it is not a rule change and only interpretation, the IO at a border wouldn't know about it. So your original comment is inane.

Why be so pedantic?

The CURRENT police orders are all that matters here and now.

My "all over the shop" comment wasn't about any Immigration Officer asking to see that the 400 k is still in place after the fact. My comment alludes to the differing interpretation and application of the laws. Depending who's in charge, each Immigration Office has their own broad interpretation of the rules and how they're applied. There may be some commonality between several offices in this regard. In the end, it doesn't matter what these laws say on the day you file your extension, it's how the Immigration Officer sitting in front of you decides to apply them to your application... or otherwise.

You are aware what YMMV means?

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Judging by haircuts and mannerisms, I did think that something was not quite right, now you mention it. Also I noted the lack of females.

I recall reading that all immigration cops nationwide had to adopt the new haircut when the new chief took over. Maybe one of his less publicized 'new broom sweeps clean' edicts was hiding the ladies?

8 hours ago, baboon said:

He might want to start by instructing his officers that a visa is a visa, no matter where it was issued.

These people went through an amazing education, so please don't be too hard on them if they don't know anything about countries and cities outside of the LOS that has lost its smiles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am assuming it was not the first entry to the country since the visa was issued in London since you wrote it was a border bounce.

The only way I could see the officer asking those silly questions is if you were trying enter the first time with it.

Probably an inexperienced officer making problems due to him not understanding how a multiple entry visa works.

Many people fly from UK to Malaysia and enter Thailand through Malaysia. What wrong with that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baboon said:

And because the majority of border crossers there are Thai and Malay, I suspect the officer just really didn't know what he was doing: What does it matter who issued the visa as long as it is valid?

In the world of Thai Immigration a ME No O visa is for someone to visit their wife etc. regularly from their home country. So the objection would probably be because you were using the border hop to extend your stay and effectively live in the country.

At least we can for sure say that Big Oud, pink cards and yellow books has nothing to do with this. As Joe states above, it´s a single officer how don´t know what he is doing or just have one of those bad days.

As for the OP boarder hassles, I can understand as that is why I always come prepared when I do a in/out 90 day Non O boarder run. I always have on me my Thai marriage certificate, copy of my wife's ID card, my sons birth certificate, my wife's house papers, pictures of my marriage just in case I come into a battle of wits with some IO who wants to push their power a bit. I only been asked once for a copy of my Thai wife's ID coming back into Thailand at Mukdahan immigration which was my "First" time using that boarder years ago. Now every 90 day boarder runs is a breeze at that immigration.

Edited by time2093
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

´s a single officer how don´t know what he is doing

At least two he had personal experience with, probably more. Many more reports of "singular" cases at other borders also.

Same would happen if you showed them an Elite visa, most likely.

Lack of training, nothing different to various other areas of employment in Thailand.

Reassuring, as a previous poster commented.

• Like 1

It was perhaps two years ago when I read a post by someone with a multiple-entry non-O visa who was denied entry at a land border because the immigration official noticed from his passport stamps that he was in Thailand on the date the visa was issued.

Replies in that topic then suggested that it would be better to go somewhere like Malaysia and send the visa application to the Thai embassy or a consulate in the UK via a relative or friend in that country. Remembering this makes me wonder where in the world the OP was on the day his visa was issued

4 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It was perhaps two years ago when I read a post by someone with a multiple-entry non-O visa who was denied entry at a land border because the immigration official noticed from his passport stamps that he was in Thailand on the date the visa was issued.

Replies in that topic then suggested that it would be better to go somewhere like Malaysia and send the visa application to the Thai embassy or a consulate in the UK via a relative or friend in that country. Remembering this makes me wonder where in the world the OP was on the day his visa was issued

Newcastle, England. 

• Like 1

Not on computers, most Thais and computers are not compatible, a lot of students do not even graduate from high school legally. Why do you think there is so much paperwork involved in everything here?

12 hours ago, baboon said:

He might want to start by instructing his officers that a visa is a visa, no matter where it was issued.

Plenty of threads on here from people refused entry at the airports with a valid tourist visa, only for them to make their way to a land boarder and enter on the same visa.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

I know your situation is different, but a visa does not guarantee entry. 

55 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Plenty of threads on here from people refused entry at the airports with a valid tourist visa, only for them to make their way to a land boarder and enter on the same visa.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

I know your situation is different, but a visa does not guarantee entry. 

I would agree. If all a visa does is allow you to play immigration roulette, the system is indeed ridiculous. 

As the Mother in Law said this morning: 'They should just stop coming here if this is how they are treated'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Newcastle, England. 

Thank you.

When I read in a recent news article that hundreds of foreigners have already been denied entry this year I got the impression that immigration officials may have been given a quota to fill every month or quarter and they seem to be concentrating on foreigners with many back to back entries, visa-exempt or with a visa, suspecting but unable to prove that these foreigners are working illegally in Thailand.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, baboon said:

He also didn't seem to be able to get to grips with the fact my visa is valid until November. 

This ties in with the posts suggesting he is unfamiliar with a multiple Non-Imm-O.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, baboon said:

No, you do not understand this correctly. How do you go about answering questions such as 'How do I know your marriage is genuine', or 'How did you get a visa from London', or 'How do I know if there is even an embassy there'.

Yes, they are entitled to question you. But asking questions that have no real answer is another thing entirely. He might as well have been asking me why lions are lions and not dolphins.

Stupid questions either make people squirm or just hot and upset. Good way to see where one stands.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Stupid questions either make people squirm or just hot and upset. Good way to see where one stands.

So these IOs are either very skilled interrogators or just plain stupid. I'll go with the latter until there's evidence for the former.

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, baboon said:

As the Mother in Law said this morning: 'They should just stop coming here if this is how they are treated'.

And now, they have finally stop coming here.

What did your Mother in Law have to say about the Chinese?  ???? 

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:53 PM, possum1931 said:

Not on computers, most Thais and computers are not compatible, a lot of students do not even graduate from high school legally. Why do you think there is so much paperwork involved in everything here?

I think most Thais aged under 35 would run rings around your typical retired farang when it comes to computer skills. I even see motorbike taxi riders with iPhones running multiple apps including LINEMan and other services and being completely comfortable with technology. Thais of all walks of life spend hours and hours every day on their devices and are perfectly comfortable with computers and technology these days!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think most Thais aged under 35 would run rings around your typical retired farang when it comes to computer skills. I even see motorbike taxi riders with iPhones running multiple apps including LINEMan and other services and being completely comfortable with technology. Thais of all walks of life spend hours and hours every day on their devices and are perfectly comfortable with computers and technology these days!

Believe social apps is the extent of most knowledge however - for that would agree.  But for technical knowledge of why/where/how they operate is another matter.  Expect the same in most countries however - younger people know how to use as a social tool - but have little knowledge of technical aspects and security and even use of other types of apps.  I am not now; or ever have been. anImage result for android

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

You may have a point, but may I point out that my wife is university educated, and plays a lot on her smartphone, but has no interest in using a computer or laptop, and we have a spare desktop and laptop in the house.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mstevens said:

And they perfectly speak English also, right ?

So funny you ! Thai only know Facebook and Line, but you are telling us that they know anything else !

Start to know more before talking please. I have 20 people working for me and they all are educated (because they went to univ) idiots.