Yet another TM30 question, sorry!

OK so over the last year or so I have completed several TM30 forms at my local Imm Office but only when I have returned from abroad, no problem.

However I will be in Bangkok next month for a week and have been told by the IO that I now need to do one when returning from another province.

Obviously I will not have a new TM6 so are the document requirements just the same but with no TM6 asked for?

Dumb question sorry, but I am planning to do this online when I get my user ID and password, and am thinking it may be a problem not having a new TM6 to record.

Anyone filed a new TM30 when returning from another province?

Thanks

Will you be staying at hotel or such that will be doing a TM30 report while you are in BAngkok? If not then you do not need to worry about doing a TM30 report when your return.

A new TM6 card is not needed to do a TM30 report or the online registration.

• Like 1

Some offices may require a new TM30 when returning from a trip inside Thailand, part of that process is information from your current TM6, new or old.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Will you be staying at hotel or such that will be doing a TM30 report while you are in BAngkok? If not then you do not need to worry about doing a TM30 report when your return.

A new TM6 card is not needed to do a TM30 report or the online registration.

Thanks but yes I will be in a hotel so I am assuming they will file a TM30 for me, requiring a new one at my IO on my return. They have confirmed several times now that returning from another province now requires a new TM30.

Good to know I can forget changing TM6 and just use the current one. Thanks

A friend of mine tells me that he presents his Thai driving license as ID when he books into a hotel for a short stay in Bangkok. He says that that does not cause the hotel to to register him as staying at the hotel so he doesn't have to present a TM30 form at his immigration office in Buriram.

I explained that the license has his passport number on it and so the hotel should report the passport holder as having stayed at the hotel.

But he insists that he has done this a few times, and that the hotel in Bangkok were he stays confirms this story and that they don't send a TM30 report to immigration.

I need to stay in Bangkok one night to get a new passport soon (18 months) so am interested if this is acceptable / works / risky.

I reckon "risky".

13 hours ago, Saltire said:

...However I will be in Bangkok next month for a week and have been told by the IO that I now need to do one when returning from another province...

Which immigration office told you this?

37 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

But he insists that he has done this a few times, and that the hotel in Bangkok were he stays confirms this story and that they don't send a TM30 report to immigration.

What hotel is this?

14 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

A friend of mine tells me that he presents his Thai driving license as ID when he books into a hotel for a short stay in Bangkok. He says that that does not cause the hotel to to register him as staying at the hotel so he doesn't have to present a TM30 form at his immigration office in Buriram.

I explained that the license has his passport number on it and so the hotel should report the passport holder as having stayed at the hotel.

I need to stay in Bangkok one night to get a new passport soon (18 months) so am interested if this is acceptable / works / risky.

I reckon "risky".

I did the same with my European ID card lol. They only require a legal form of indentification. Tm 30 is only when you stay over 24h. If you visit your friends home and come back same day you don’t fill a tm30. Hotel same way if you stay under 24h. 

OK, Just to confuse you all further.

My farang wife and I live in Jomtien IO purview. We are named on the Chanote (usufruct), we hold the blue book which has no names, yellow book with both our names, and each of us has a pink card. We also each hold Thai driving licences, which show our address and current passport numbers.

We have just returned from a trip of nearly three weeks.

We spent two nights in Sam Roi Yod, with a friend. No reports or registrations.

We spent one night in a hotel in Surat Thani: asked for passport, refused, offered pink card, declined, Thai driving licence, accepted.......but only one of us registered.

We spent 10 nights in Phuket, with Thai friends. No reports or registrations.

We spent one night in a resort in Khao Lak: asked for passport, refused, offered pink card, accepted, ......but only one of use registered.

We spent one night in a hotel in Ranong, pink card offered without prompting and accepted....but only one of us registered.

We spent 2 nights back with our friends on Sam Roi Yod, no reports or registrations.

We came home to our registered address. Agonised over TM30, decided to do it at Jomtien, just in case.

Took the TM30 form duly filled in, copies of blue book, yellow book, passport relevant pages......the usual crap.

The lady officer was polite, processed it all, confirmed I was registering two persons, tore off the slip from my form signed stamped and stapled into my passport, pronted off another stamped signed and stapled into the wifes passport, all done, 3 minutes.

I asked her, do I need to do this every time I go anywhere?

She said, where are you going, for how long, and where will you stay?

I said, maybe one night in a hotel, maybe with friends.

Her answer was as clear as mud! Well, if it's only one night, or you aren't registered by passport number, and as long as you return to your registered address, don't bother. As long as you have at least one TM30 report receipt in your passport and return to your registered address, you won't have a problem.

So maybe, there lies the answer we are all seeking???

But, she was a very young and very junior officer.

5 hours ago, Drax said:

I did the same with my European ID card lol. They only require a legal form of indentification. Tm 30 is only when you stay over 24h. If you visit your friends home and come back same day you don’t fill a tm30. Hotel same way if you stay under 24h. 

Interesting. :wink:

I make trips from Phayao to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai once a month and sometimes I throw in a trip to Bangkok. If I stay at a hotel overnight then I have to visit immigrations when I return to Phayao. I have experienced this several times in the last month and immigrations makes it clear that I do have to report in every time. 

This is a pain both for me and immigrations. No one likes it but we are forced to put up with it. It takes immigrations 15 to 30 minutes dealing with me and then they charge 10 baht. A waste of time and money for everyone but it keeps big brother happy.

...asked for passport, refused,

Why did you refuse?  Was this to avoid having the hotel do a TM30 report?

My ex-wife runs a small hotel in Phuket.  She has to do an online report for every foreigner.  If the guest refuses to provide their passport then they are not allowed to stay at the hotel and they also get charged on their credit card for the room charge.

This is because she is the person who will get fined if immigration discover that she hasn't reported the guest passport details to immigration.

Edited by simon43
  • Haha 1

Just curious:

1. What triggers the issuance (or not) of the slip of paper you get when you TM30 report? If hotels and condo offices ordinarily do the reporting, why haven't they been giving me those slips of paper - or some confirmation of on-time lodgment - to be used to fight any subsequent fine-incurring lateness allegation?

2. How is a hotel, condo or landlord (if they automatically do the reporting) to know where I've been - and whether I need to report TM30 (entered country) or TM28 (changed address)?  (I suppose they can infer this by checking your entry date from the passport, but could carelessly get it wrong.)

3. Is it an unavoidable, fine-incurring trap if your "within 24 hours" period is when Immigration Offices are closed? (weekends, holidays) - and you can't report electronically -  necessitating a more careful planning of an inward flight?

6 hours ago, dpcjsr said:

This is a pain both for me and immigrations. No one likes it but we are forced to put up with it. It takes immigrations 15 to 30 minutes dealing with me and then they charge 10 baht. A waste of time and money for everyone but it keeps big brother happy.

Did you get a receipt for the 10 Baht?

On 7/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I reckon "risky".

i also never use a passport and never had any problem. And when I stay with Thai in a hotel, I don't even give my name.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:42 AM, simon43 said:

Why did you refuse?  Was this to avoid having the hotel do a TM30 report?

My ex-wife runs a small hotel in Phuket.  She has to do an online report for every foreigner.  If the guest refuses to provide their passport then they are not allowed to stay at the hotel and they also get charged on their credit card for the room charge.

This is because she is the person who will get fined if immigration discover that she hasn't reported the guest passport details to immigration.

I would not giver her any passport and would not pay for any room. Who does she think she is ? Of course I am to smart to book a room that has to be paid before visit.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, plfomylo said:

I would not giver her any passport and would not pay for any room. Who does she think she is ? Of course I am to smart to book a room that has to be paid before visit.

By law, she must report the passport details of ALL foreigners who stay at her hotel.  Not just one foreigner in the party but all of them.  If she doesn't do that, then she is liable to pay a fine. 

She takes a copy of the passport ID page at check-in and then submits the details online.

I'm curious.  Why are you unwilling to provide your passport details at a hotel?  Something to hide?

• 2 weeks later...