Few Questions related to the death of Foreigner and married to Thai National

taken

Dear Members

1. Does immigration needs to be informed about the death of Foreigner Husband/wife by concerned? What's the procedure?
  2. How does inheritance works in Thailand in case of Foreigner Husband/wife death? What's the procedures if savings/assets spread to multiple accounts and can easily to transferred to the concerned? 

I would appreciate precise answers. No suggestions please. 

Thanks and Regards

Upon the death of a foreigner the hospital will inform their Embassy, who in turn will inform your designated survivors in your home country. That notification will take care of Thai Immigration.

Best to have a Will written here in Thailand and if there are assets and/or family in another country, have one in that country as well.

Upon issuance of a Death Certificate the Thai Will needs to go through probate and the executor, once it is approved in Thailand, can distribute Thai assets as stipulated in the Will.

If there is a will, foreign or domestic, the thai probate court will follow the will, there is no need for a foreign and domestic will, it only causes confusion, as heirs can fight each other as to which one takes precedence. A foreign will should be kept with a local lawyer or with someone that can put it into probate after death. If no will, the proba te court will give to children and wife. If no children, probate court will give all to wife. Need to go to probate court after death so that heirs, local or foreign can move any assets to their names. By wife, it is assumed it is a registered marriage with the government and not a 'village' marriaige.

21 minutes ago, soistalker said:

OBVIOUSLY, the thai wife would have his funds under control before he dies from "natural causes", i.e. "falling" from the condo balcony or other (assisted) suicide.

Maybe...  If the foreigner has loose lips. ????

21 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Upon the death of a foreigner the hospital will inform their Embassy, who in turn will inform your designated survivors in your home country.

In the case of the UK, the Embassy knows nothing about my relatives in the UK - not their names, where they live, or how to contact them.  I wonder how that would work?  Indeed, my understanding is that hospitals will not release bodies for burial/cremation until the whole Embassy process has been gone through.

Is it possible to tell the British Embassy to contact my partner instead of going through this pointless rigmarole?

13 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Is it possible to tell the British Embassy to contact my partner instead of going through this pointless rigmarole?

The deceased's passport application (on file) and/or the NoK page in their passport helps point them in this direction. Without it they're left to guess...

Thailand - Bereavement information 

(Non Brits should see their own Embassy website)

HTH

33 minutes ago, Oxx said:

In the case of the UK, the Embassy knows nothing about my relatives in the UK - not their names, where they live, or how to contact them.  I wonder how that would work?  Indeed, my understanding is that hospitals will not release bodies for burial/cremation until the whole Embassy process has been gone through.

Hospital will only release body after Post  Mortem which is required by the British Embassy. 

A letter from the embassy is required by the widow for official release of the body to her for a death certificate to be issued and cremation can then take place.

I unfortunately have just been through this for my late friend.

Copy of UK will was kept in Thailand and is now being executed by his family as virtually all his assets were in the UK.

59 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Post  Mortem which is required by the British Embassy.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend but I suspect you're actually referring to 'cause of death' for which a PM isn't always necessary and would be the responsibility of the host nation.

I know you said no suggestions but I do think it is important for every foreigner living long-term in Thailand to have a Thai Will.  It will certainly make it easier for your survivors to deal with your death if you leave specific instructions in the Will as to whom to contact upon your death, what you want done with your assets in Thailand, what you want done with your body should you die in Thailand, and whom you want to be your Executor to oversee your instructions.  

My understanding is that if there are assets in Thailand there must be a Thai Will because Thailand does not regard civil orders (eg. probate) made in a foreign country to have any application in Thailand. It doesn't follow that there must be a foreign Will for non-Thai assets; foreign countries may very well accept a probate order made by a Thai court

You need to have a Death Certificate.

If your name is on the account, you can get the money.

If your name is not on the account, the bank will not release any funds without direction from the court.

Go ask the Bank Manager, he/she will tell you the same thing.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, Oxx said:

If you are not married then the hospital will not release your body until a family member arrives. there is a place in your passport to put a name + address of a person to contact in the event of your death. no need to TELL your Govt anything.

Archived