This will be my last post

FaFaHead

16 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

And about you being a military person, that says it all. You need somebody who gives you orders, because you don't learn how to be independent in the States. 

What's important for you is in no way important for Thai people and expats who live here longer.

And why do Thais need military coups and military governments to tell them what to do? 

Oh, I know!! It's because they're independent, critical thinkers!! ????

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What's the point in making the effort if you're only going to get snide and often rude remarks in reward for your efforts.

Depends how much one is  concerned about what another may think/say. 

When one express an opinion/personal view-experience, there will be always others who will refute it, claiming their opinion/experience is the only correct/true one.

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I was one of those hippy dippy anti-war protesters back then, but your rhetoric goes way too far.

indeed.............i love the way if people disagree with these keyboard warriors they instantly brand people racist.

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Depends how much one is  concerned about what another may think. 

When one express an opinion/personal view-experience, there will be always others who will refute it, claiming their opinion/experience is the only correct/thru one.

yes true,but it would be nice not to have abuse hurled at you,dont you think?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Depends how much one is  concerned about what another may think. 

When one express an opinion/personal view-experience, there will be always others who will refute it, claiming their opinion/experience is the only correct/thru one.

Many comments attract responses and always will.

But it's the nature of the way in which said responses are made that is important.

There's no excuse for making snide and rude remarks in reply to a post in which a member has spent time and thought composing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thasoss said:

yes true,but it would be nice not to have abuse hurled at you,dont you think?

Sure, but this is something you can't control.

Mods here intervene regularly.

Of course it is their personal opinion/approach of what is tolerable or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soistalker said:

Thais get nastier every year. Still the same high percentage of the female population are prostitutes

Just now, all the pretty ones are online, and all the nasty ones went to pattaya. There is no prostitution in Pattaya, says the police, yet you could throw a stone across the street from the police station  and hit 4 or 5 slappers. There is a catch-and-release policy with theiving ladyboys on beach road. Thais know they can hurt you, beat you, never one on one, stab you, bottle to the head of a farang, and that's a Wei and a 500 baht fine (a cliche, but still valid). Greedy people everywhere. Liars by birth. Talk too much but not about anything. Glued to their phone screens. I am so sick of them. I wish I had never sunk my money into a condo there. Old English and Aussies walking around with their maids, er...wives. But look like a maid. And if you live above the 8th floor, your wife or her "brother" might say you jumped off one day.

A pox on the lot of them.

I've been visiting Pattaya two or three times a year for two decades and everything you say is more or less true. Yet I've never considered going anywhere else, weird isn't it.

14 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I've been visiting Pattaya two or three times a year for two decades and everything you say is more or less true. Yet I've never considered going anywhere else, weird isn't it.

that's because you've never reset google map/search on your android....just joking

16 hours ago, BestB said:

Not American? whats yours? in the past month you have been British, American and Canadian, Retired and have businesses.Kind of lost trying to keep up with you

You missed out Australian.:cheesy:

14 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Not to Pattaya. Not my style. Not snobby at all but I avoid the sleaze. Its up to you and for each his own. No me though.

May I remind you of what you posted?

"I don't know respectful people who go to Pattaya or similar places. Sick!" 

Sure sounds judgmental and snobbish to me.......,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This topic reminds me of something.

When I lived in Massachusetts (Taxachusetts?), yeah I used to get around, a local told me about his relative. He saw hard combat in WW2 and then came back home to Boston. Got killed in a car accident driving in one of those infernal "rotaries" (circles of hell?) they've got there shortly after his return.

So you never know!

20 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

So anyway, many thanks and all the best. I’m outta here!

For what it's worth I thought your post was very close to the mark with regards to truthfulness, however I have noticed a lot of "ill feeling posts" (which I don't agree with), in lieu of your original post and I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you.

Obviously the issues you are having with family don't help, and ensuring that these are sorted out must of course be your number one priority. Furthermore if one moves to another country, then one hopes to see some improvements from the country from whence they came, however you couldn't see them and that's fair enough, because it's how you perceive and indeed interact with the new country and its customs which really matter.

We are all here for different reasons and many of us choose to overlook the corruption, dual standards and pricing, ignorance, huge wealth gap which causes problems of its own, and the fact that the "administrators" in all walks of life in this country, couldn't organise a p1ss up in a brewery, which can make life difficult for farangs.

Good luck with the next steps/phase of your life, and why not tune in from time to time and let us know how things are going.

Bon voyage.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soistalker said:

Thais get nastier every year. Still the same high percentage of the female population are prostitutes

Just now, all the pretty ones are online, and all the nasty ones went to pattaya. There is no prostitution in Pattaya, says the police, yet you could throw a stone across the street from the police station  and hit 4 or 5 slappers. There is a catch-and-release policy with theiving ladyboys on beach road. Thais know they can hurt you, beat you, never one on one, stab you, bottle to the head of a farang, and that's a Wei and a 500 baht fine (a cliche, but still valid). Greedy people everywhere. Liars by birth. Talk too much but not about anything. Glued to their phone screens. I am so sick of them. I wish I had never sunk my money into a condo there. Old English and Aussies walking around with their maids, er...wives. But look like a maid. And if you live above the 8th floor, your wife or her "brother" might say you jumped off one day.

A pox on the lot of them.

I’m getting the impression you have some negative feelings towards Thailand

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't know what the VFW is, but assume it's an ex military association. I went to one once in my country, but was ignored, so never went back.

I was never in an actual war situation, so never in risk of life, but they did enjoy making me miserable. The problem with the military is that it allows the power crazed to actually use power over other people.

The pity of it is that it could have been such a great life, but for a few horribles with rank.

I once went to a recruiting stall, and wished I could have been in the military they portrayed, as it was so far from reality, and seemed fantastic- driving tanks and parachuting was all in everyone's everyday life- not so. I did drive tanks when I had to fix them, but I never got to parachute.

VFW is Veterans of Foreign Wars.  They do charitable work in Thailand like supporting orphanages and bury Vets and make arrangements with the Thai Navy to scatter your ashes at sea, help you wife out when you die.  I was in a couple of wars and preferred it to being Stateside as there were less little hitlers in a combat zone not much for guts those fellows.  The ones on Thai Visa who were privates but call themselves Captain also bug me a bit.  Colonel Sanders included. 

Edited by marcusarelus