DLT calls on IT to raise driving schools standards

snoop1130

DLT calls on IT to raise driving schools standards

By The Nation

800_099c4206fadd0f7.jpg

The Department of Land Transport is aiming to improve standards in the country’s driving schools by introducing modern technology such as fingerprint scanners, e-classrooms and CCTV.

There are 275 DLT-certified driving schools in 66 provinces nationwide. Privately operated, they are given DLT quality guidelines which they must follow to maintain the level of their training and testing procedures.

“With the help of modern technology, we can upgrade the quality of driving schools even further,” said DLT director-general Peerapol Thawornsupcharoen. “We have installed fingerprint scanners at selected driving schools to verify the identity of both teachers and students before each classroom and testing session.”

The fingerprint scanners will be used in conjunction with the e-classroom system, in which the department can monitor and verify the date, time, subject, teachers and students to make sure that the training schedule and quality standard are adhered to. Furthermore, each written exam room will be equipped with CCTV cameras to monitor the test takers and prevent cheating.

A 40-year-old Thai office worker, who asked not to be named, said that she had obtained both car and motorcycle licences by taking such courses at a certified driving school in Chiang Mai’s Saraphi district. 

“I welcome the Department of Land Transport’s plan to ensure good quality at driving schools as some might not be up to par. 

“From my own experience, however, such courses are already being conducted in a strict way with a finger-scanning system to ensure the number of training hours, e-classrooms to teach about traffic rules and the test-taking procedure plus the actual driving/riding training,” she said. 

”You cannot cheat because there are also CCTV cameras in the examination room and the school will turn you down if you fail it. 

“I also saw people being turned down after failing the eyesight test as they turned out to be colour-blind, while some friends who failed the written test were asked to reset it three days later as per the rules.

”The courses at driving schools are useful and very convenient for a speedy application for driver’s licence and what I learned has made me more aware of the traffic laws while I am driving car or riding a motorcycle.”

From October 2018 to June 2019, 454,691 people have enrolled at DLT certified driving schools; 277,329 of them took car driving lessons, 170,459 took motorcycling lessons, while 6,903 applied for land transport vehicle lessons.

You can check out the full list of DLT-certified driving schools plus details of how to apply at https://www.dlt.go.th/site/ltsb/ or phone 02-271-8623.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373905

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-30
  • Haha 1

They need to take the driving test on the roads,so

the learners can experience real driving conditions,

that's the only way to tell if they are good enough

to pass and get a driving license.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Yes but if they fail they will loose face...... either that or abandon the idea of having a license

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Not even sure what I just read. You can't teach drivers common sense here unless perhaps you have an instructor from another country teaching and training you. .

There is that term... Common Sense. Question. Does that apply or even exist in Thailand? Logic doesn't and neither does common sense. Perhaps teach that in the schools rather than spending so much time on Thai history which forgoes any other country's or World history. Also hold the parents accountable and perhaps... just perhaps get the traffic police and regular plod off their Facebook or Line apps?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“With the help of modern technology, we can upgrade the quality of driving schools even further,” said DLT director-general Peerapol Thawornsupcharoen. “We have installed fingerprint scanners at selected driving schools to verify the identity of both teachers and students before each classroom and testing session.”

Thats going to help exactly how ??

I suspect someone has a nice juicy fingerprint scanner sales contract going around local government and immigration.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stupid thing here is they drive without a licence while they learn so they say, no L plates or nothing so that means they would have no insurance, 

I once asked a policeman about this and his reply was how else would the learn...? OK 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seajae said:

our daughter turned 19 and wanted her licence, had never driven a car or rode a bike, she got it in 4 days, 3 days driving around an enclosed course for a couple of hours, one morning driving on an actual road for a short time, was shown a video of the driving regulations on one morning then was immediately sat in front of a computer with a choice of answers and was handed her licence. She would be considered a new  learner driver in Australia at best, no written exam at all, the course is a total joke, I refuse to let her drive our car as she has no idea what she is doing and her on road experience would be lucky to be 1 hour, this is why so many thais are killed on the roads.

GOOD write up, am sure the same applies in the Uk.....states.. in fact anywhere else in the world....

does I T teach these brain dead people how to anticipate a situation NO NO NO...does it teach them how to look down the road and forsee any problems.....does it teach them the laws of the road and employ such laws when driving....ALL NO NO NO...

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I also saw people being turned down after failing the eyesight test as they turned out to be colour-blind 

Drunk ..

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while some friends who failed the written test

Couldn't read she added .. 

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

That is a good start but then cars with dual control.

And on primary school they have to learn they are part of the world, and not they are the center of the world, perhaps it will be alright then.