serious mental problems of westerners

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Maybe the prospects of going back to the uk to live in a cardboard box on the street in the snow and rain is enough to make some have a 'mental problem' ! 

That's enough to make me want to jump in a river!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

Then they have two choices, Rough it out on a low budget because the though to return to the western world  feels unbearable then  proceed to start drinking copious amounts of booze to numb the boredom or fly back home and work / save for the next trip.

I did the last option.

If anyone gets bored in Thailand, they are not trying very hard. It was the most interesting place I ever lived except for Antarctica.

• Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Would it be different in a Manchester bedsit?

depends on the budget / Mental state of the individual.

i have seen many seperate cases over here in thailand over the years, Some died here , some went home, some returned and died here.

on individual case is A 40 Y/O londoner living in BKK with Catatonic skitzophrenia, He is was never right in the head but is gradually getting worse as he self medicates on the  dismal 100 quid weekly allowance sent by relatives  is not stretching as far as it used to.

Last time i saw him he was eating cigarette butts and talking to himself and feeding the local stray cat population,  He would be sectioned the minute he returned to the UK I'm sure. 

2 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

I've seen it time and time again many many farangs lose the plot trying to live out here long term on a budget with no job, no family, no real resources or marketable skills and ebd up homeless, or go completely mad with boredom/addiction.

When I lived my last year in Thailand, I had no job, no family, no resources other than cash in the bank, wasn't allowed to work, so no need of marketable skills, lived in an hotel, and had a wonderful life. Didn't drink alcohol or use illegal drugs.

No worries except renewing the retirement extension once, and remembering to go to the restaurant on hamburger special day. I left because I didn't have enough money to stay and pay for health insurance. I could have stayed without, but I'm not the sort to not pay my bills, and health care without can be astronomically expensive in LOS.

Worst day of my life when I left LOS for the last time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

dont just hang around in Asia, Take your money , spend it, Then go home unless your a qualified teacher or a millionaire.

whats wrong with being an unqualified teacher ??

• Haha 1

i failed , i know what its like to fail in Asia, i am the definition of failure.

I only want future versions of my self to understand the risk of South east asia, Its no longer the 1990s You can't walk in the door and start a life just because you have a western passport , We are treated equally with third world immigrants thanks to globalisation.

• Like 1

Just now, marin said:

I think you are talking to yourself mate. Been here 30 years and have none of the problems you describe. In fact I have turned into a fitness nut here. Sure as hell in better shape mentally, financially, and physically than when I arrived. You on the other hand have had nothing but problems. Pity that. 

Power to you brother, I wish many follow your path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol... I have serious mental health problems and if I was alcohol or drug dependent, coming to Asia and drinking 14 baht beers would be the last thing you want to do. Your just begging for problems. I just see at our local waterholes in Chiang Mai the damage drinking 60 baht beers and sitting on bar-stools does for the population. Just imagine them being only 14 baht here in Thailand! It would be a race to the bottom for everyone's IQ levels. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i think coffin dodging is a stronger indication of mental illness then suicide

Then you are wrong. A death wish is not more healthy than the will to survive and aspire to happiness.  The comment is just ageism, a form of hate, age hate.

13 minutes ago, marin said:

I think you are talking to yourself mate. Been here 30 years and have none of the problems you describe. In fact I have turned into a fitness nut here. Sure as hell in better shape mentally, financially, and physically than when I arrived. You on the other hand have had nothing but problems. Pity that. 

Me too. Though I still drink at the age of 63 I now swim, jog, diet and work out in Pattaya. Its very difficult to maintain the discipline when travelling to Issan or when travelling to Europe.

• Like 1