retirement visa problem

Because of problems with the english pound and my British bank after about 15 years I may have to leave the country in October when my Current visa runs out . Could someone briefly guide me through options available - tourist visa, getting a new retirement later + where to leave to and info about that place - After 15 years not making visa runs and aged 65 the prospect of starting again is somewhat daunting - help please Oh and inally if I went to Malaysia Penang how much would it cost all round - cheap guest house, travel, food  etc Thanks

Are you open to moving to another country?  Your post is not really clear if the only option you will consider is a return to Thailand or not?  Many people seem to be finding other places in the area lately if that is an option you have not closed.  

• Like 1

You can re-enter Thailand for 30 days on a Via waiver, or 60 days on a Tourist Visa (obtained in a neighboring country). A single extension is available to both types for 30 more days. Either of these can be converted (in Thailand at Immigration Office) to a Non-Imm-O Entry if you can show income or money in the bank. This gives a 90 day permission of stay and costs 2000 baht. In the last 15 days you could then apply for a long term Extension, retirement or marriage, money in the bank or income, or combination. 

Better help perhaps if you tell us if you are married to a Thai and where are you living. Can you deposit (or already have) 800k baht into a Thai bank account. 

Edited by jacko45k

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You can re-enter Thailand for 30 days on a Via waiver, or 60 days on a Tourist Visa (obtained in a neighboring country). A single extension is available to both types for 30 more days. Either of these can be converted (in Thailand at Immigration Office) to a Non-Imm-O Entry if you can show income or money in the bank. This gives a 90 day permission of stay and costs 2000 baht. In the last 15 days you could then apply for a long term Extension, retirement or marriage, money in the bank or income, or combination. 

Better help perhaps if you tell us if you are married to a Thai and where are you living. Can you deposit (or already have) 800k baht into a Thai bank account. 

I think you need to read the OP again. He is here already on an extension based upon retirement that is ends in October but called it a visa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you need to read the OP again. He is here already on an extension based upon retirement that is ends in October but called it a visa.

He says he may have to leave Thailand in October and the way I read it was he was looking at options to come back after leaving. 

Maybe if you read it again you may see that interpretation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Maybe if you read it again you may see that interpretation. 

I have read  it more than once.

You wrote your post as if he was asking about getting a extension or visa not asking for help if he could not get his extension again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read  it more than once.

You wrote your post as if he was asking about getting a extension or visa not asking for help if he could not get his extension again.

It didn't seem he wanted to further extend as Penang was cited. Rather to start anew. I really don't want to read it yet again to see where I am going wrong as I don't see it. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

Is it possible for you to save up the 800k in time for the next extension?

Might now be going it for him to do this before the initial 2-month seasoning period for a new retirement extension in October is due to begin.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Or use the combination option to make up the shortfall in his income. If it is just a exchange rate problem it might not require a lot of money in the bank.

Chiang Mai Immigration is no longer permitting the combination method for retirement visa extensions.

6 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Chiang Mai Immigration is no longer permitting the combination method for retirement visa extensions.

Has that been confirmed by somebody trying to d  one. The only thing I have seen about it is what an agent was saying that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Where you got this from. An agent maybe ? Anyway it's not true. 

I know people who used this method recently. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hakancnx said:

Where you got this from. An agent maybe ? Anyway it's not true. 

I know people who used this method recently. 

I know someone who was rejected for the combo method in Chiang Mai recently.  It appears that you have to have a Consulate/Embassy affidavit for the income portion of a combo method in order to use the combo method, so someone like the OP, who is from the U.K. won't be able to use it.  The person I know who was rejected, Is from the U.S., same problem.  She could prove 12 months of income into a Thai bank, but it was below 65,000 baht/month and she thought she could use her Thai bank account in combination  with her income as in past years.  Instead, she was off to Laos last week to "start over" and brought in enough to top off her bank account to be over 800,000 baht.  At least she had the money available to do this.

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

What is the difference between immigration wanting proof of 1 years seasoning, or 2 months seasoning?

Agents, through corrupt immigration officers, have been circumventing seasoning for decades.

Why do you think next year will be any different? 

I think you have that the wrong way round.

It should read "corrupt immigration officers through agents have been circumventing etc etc".

To read the know nothings on here you would think that agent gangsters are terrorising hapless IOs into doing their bidding.

I think the IOs are quite happy with things

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would go one step further and say the new system appears to be designed to further increase the demand for agents, thus, increasing the flow of corrupt money. 

I can only see any future changes, like 800k becoming 1 million, as also being designed to direct another part of the expat population in the direction of agents, as a means to continue to reside here. 

If agents will be able to "help" with the inevitable soon to be mandatory insurance, then it's a slam dunk.  

21 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

If agents will be able to "help" with the inevitable soon to be mandatory insurance, then it's a slam dunk.  

Now now, it actually seems to have gone quiet about that, and a month overdue now. 

On 8/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, scottiejohn said:

We won't know until March next year when 2nd extensions under the new seasoning rules are scrutinized!

We are already getting reports on TV of people being asked to show their financials at 90 day reports.

Might be another earner for the agents to put the money in, and take the money out, for the 90 day report.

Of course, the tougher immigration make it for people doing the right thing, and the easier immigration make it for people using agents, there's a real incentive, other than falsely meeting the financials, to use agents, and with immigration being so corrupt, why wouldn't they push as many as they can onto agents?

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We are already getting reports on TV of people being asked to show their financials at 90 day reports.

Might be another earner for the agents to put the money in, and take the money out, for the 90 day report.

Of course, the tougher immigration make it for people doing the right thing, and the easier immigration make it for people using agents, there's a real incentive, other than falsely meeting the financials, to use agents, and with immigration being so corrupt, why wouldn't they push as many as they can onto agents?

Who is we?