Risk of no-deal Brexit is now significant, says Northern Ireland's DUP

snoop1130

20 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

The EU is the UK’s largest trading partner, although its importance has been slightly declining. Official UK figures show that 44% of all UK exports went to the EU in 2017, while 53% of all UK imports came from the EU. As a bloc, EU countries sell more to the UK than vice-versa.

Now look at the underlying numbers, those percentages are comparing apples and oranges.

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Maybe no need for it as I hear some mumbling about unification of Ireland ….., going to Or E.U or U.K. union...Then Scotland ..... so good job done Boris can call Little England and(maybe) Wales independency ????

Maybe a Gaelic (con)federation ? Eire, NI, Scotland and Wales ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Remind: it has to be accepted by EACH EU member state. What Ursula think of that.. not of interest.

True but I would give them a little bit of rescue road ????… as they start showing sings of depression lately    

41 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

No no no  Dublin accord  ..remember.  Try as they might getting onto those ferries to GB will be a darned sight harder   and the rubber boats will almost definitely ignored,or sunk en route

I thought there was just a 500 km landmass border between Eire and NI.. so simply.. walk into NI = UK. ( correction, GB is not the same as UK) 

Edited by puipuitom

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Meanwhile...

Today the Home Secretary has pledged another 2.1 billion pounds to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.  That on top of the 4 billion plus pounds already being spent.  This is to recruit hundreds of customs and border staff.  Apart from the fact that it is impossible to find, recruit and then train the staff by the end of October, why are we doing this?  According to Johnson it is a million to one that Britain will leave the EU with no deal.  If he is right and we do have a deal then all these new employees will be surplus to requirements.  Not to mention the 2.1 billion pounds we will have p*ssed away.

You happy Brits... got where 51,88% voted for...

9 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Maybe a Gaelic (con)federation ? Eire, NI, Scotland and Wales ?

Better they throw over the England government …., so those Gaelic can stay in ….(just a "tong in cheeck" U.K. guy's....! I couldn't resist ...lol) 

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Better they throw over the England government …., so those Gaelic can stay in ….(just a "tong in cheeck" U.K. guy's....! I couldn't resist ...lol) 

Too many English who still believe the lies of Boris and his Eton boys and other fairy tales. Happy with the UK car industy ( nealy all in foreign hands) And one of the still in British hands.. see  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/31/aston-martin-shares-plunge-after-carmaker-posts-near-80m-loss

Aston Martin share price fall.jpg

Just now, david555 said:

Sky News Television

just now ...Mike Carny giving press conference ….. 1 in 3 chances Uk goes in recession ...even with a smooth transition by

Bank of England 

As everybody outside the circle of blind and deaf Brexiteers warned for for years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

As everybody outside the circle of blind and deaf Brexiteers warned for for years.

Very quick denial ordered to publish it seems...

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-economy-fundamentally-strong-ahead-of-brexit-says-chancellor-sajid-javid-11774879

Breaking

UK economy 'fundamentally strong' ahead of Brexit, says Chancellor Sajid Javid

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

So what?  obsession with UK or what?   I'm English,not bothered ,not one bit,will recover and stronger,but important ,the most important the UK has got shut of you and the others. Completely happy with results  over the moon in fact new beginning,new start      ,just begone with you 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nahkit said:

So when you wrote this:-

"The backstop is there and will remain in the only deal on offer.

The only ones threatening the Good Friday Agreement are those who will not face the reality that a backstop is going to be part of any deal they are offered."

You were not at all ignoring the fact that parliament have already rejected the deal including a backstop?

Ok, got it now, clear as mud.

As is your post

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Parliament enacted (with a huge majority) article 50 which stipulates leaving Deal or No deal.

Parliament rejected May's deal 3 times by record margins.

Hope that clears it up.

Not really as it had nothing to do with my post. 

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

27 EU countries signed up for Teresa May's deal. The one country that didn't was the UK. She tried to get it passed not just once, not twice even but three times and each time it was rejected by the UK government.

So sorry for you but there is no deal 

The UK does not want a backstop, Eire does not want a backstop either. Only the EU negotiators want the backstop.

Not so.

It was a deal between the EU negotiators and Teresa May but NOT accepted by the UK parliament.

So no agreement.

No it was between uk govt and eu and is still the only deal on offer. 

• Like 1

Deal/no-deal...if the English general public,the ones who voted leave see a Eire led attempt on the EU to hinder or interfere with the leaving process,things undoubtedly will turn ugly. Already the UK press are  taking aim at Leo and let the tablets take a view on this, would not take too much, for not just politicians but general public take a hand   They would know the routes taken by Eire truckers and I'm sure direct intervention would take place

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

Deal/no-deal...if the English general public,the ones who voted leave see a Eire led attempt on the EU to hinder or interfere with the leaving process,things undoubtedly will turn ugly. Already the UK press are  taking aim at Leo and let the tablets take a view on this, would not take too much, for not just politicians but general public take a hand   They would know the routes taken by Eire truckers and I'm sure direct intervention would take place

.. and make a bonfire of the mutual defence clause (Article  42(7) of the Treaty on European Union). This clause provides that if an EU country is the victim of armed aggression on its territory, the other EU countries have an obligation to aid and assist it by all the means in their power, in accordance with Article  51 of the United Nations Charter. This obligation of mutual defence is binding on all EU countries. 

So, in some way, N.I and Eire were united Inside the E.U, and Brexit will separate them..   

Edited by Opl

9 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

So what?  obsession with UK or what?   I'm English,not bothered ,not one bit,will recover and stronger,but important ,the most important the UK has got shut of you and the others. Completely happy with results  over the moon in fact new beginning,new start      ,just begone with you 

"Just begone with you" Really?

Who do you think you are? Queen Elizabeth I?

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

That ‘deal’ is dead and buried. So is BRINO and your backstop trick.

It’s the only deal available. The uk govt can of course try to renegotiate, but don’t kid yourselves- the backstop stays. Eire has worked hard to ensure it does. 

15 hours ago, david555 said:

Sky News Television

just now ...Mike Carny giving press conference ….. 1 in 3 chances Uk goes in recession ...even with a smooth transition by

Bank of England 

So 2 in 3 chances that it wont.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have been having a bad day today with re plumbing my old water pump and adding a new  water filter. It has been a 6 towel and three sets of dry clothes day, and my mind was not on my posts.

Fix one problem and another pops up. Now thanks to the water god it seems to be OK.

:sorry:

Know the feeling Bill, in the last week had the internet off for a couple of days and then the aircon in the bedroom packed up, just waiting for the 3rd to come along, hope its not the water.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Kicked out three times. Not coming back. No backstop. Ireland and EU worked hard but failed. Remainers tried hard and failed. No hard border.

Kicked out three times due to Rees-Mogg and his ERG.

Now that their man is in charge, will they kick out his 'revised' deal? 

Doubtful.