Security tighter at passenger terminals after bombings, says minister

webfact

Security tighter at passenger terminals after bombings, says minister

By THE NATION

800_a984ff18d9d599e.jpg?v=1564910766

Additional security measures have been put in place at all airports and bus terminals in the wake of the bomb attacks in Bangkok, Transport Minister Saksyam Chidchob said on Sunday.

He said maximum security had been ordered at many sites under his ministry’s supervision since the first incident in front of the Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok on Thursday.

He called on citizens to stay vigilant and be wary of suspicious activity.

Saksyam, a leading member of coalition leader Phalang Pracharath Party, said the country was moving forward and everyone should play a role in making it stronger.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374190

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-05
  • Haha 1

They brought the walk through screener out again at Central Mall Pattaya at one entrance. Of course no one needs to walk through it as it is unattended. After previous bomb blasts they sometimes have security look under you motorcycle seat, for a week or two, then it's back to normal with no security.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

They brought the walk through screener out again at Central Mall Pattaya at one entrance. Of course no one needs to walk through it as it is unattended. After previous bomb blasts they sometimes have security look under you motorcycle seat, for a week or two, then it's back to normal with no security.

Last weekend at Central Ratthanathibet they had a guy for one day or so, to check bags. The next day he was already gone, replaced by only a sign on a table. Guess his work was too 'hard'...

• Haha 2

Hey all, those who are coming into the country now, please keep me posted as to what types of security measures they mean. Are they x raying all bags now?

The reason I ask is I normally bring a few items in that could otherwise be taxed, so I want to make sure I'm not running into a buzz saw when I come back mid month.

Thanks in advance.

These are not "Bombs" they are just powerful fireworks that the kids chuck around at Loi Kratong. If they want to see a real bomb go and look on the internet at the work of the IRA! These things wouldn't blow the skin off custard.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I wonder if these "ping Pong" bombs (Fireworks) can be detected ... not that they would do a great deal of harm unless you copped one in the face at short range ... just thinking?

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

These are not "Bombs" they are just powerful fireworks that the kids chuck around at Loi Kratong. If they want to see a real bomb go and look on the internet at the work of the IRA! These things wouldn't blow the skin off custard.

Yes. I posted this on another thread yesterday:

This is a whole lot of fuss about nothing. Fireworks could do more damage than these Thai-style 'bombs'. One broke a flowerpot and cracked a glass wall. Wow! Real terrorists, as these amateurs pretend to be, blow up buses and trains and wreck office buildings and hotels. As has happened in the South, where Muslim insurgents have killed more innocent people than were killed on 9/11. But Thailand doesn't count on the world stage so as far as the world is concerned the deaths in the South don't count either.

There was one attempt at a 'real' terror attack some 20 years ago or more, and it ended up in a typical Thai fashion. Fortunately. A lorry loaded with explosives was en route to the Israeli Embassy, but the driver crashed the lorry and fled the scene. The authorities, who had had no clue that the attack was being planned, found the explosives when they set about removing the abandoned lorry from the road.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

The  aggrieved  few wanting to cause fear and disruption 

yet their bombings have not changed the mind set of any of the previous governments or will change this governments thinking, 

If your strategy is not working and has failed in its objective other than to have taken innocent lives. 

Stop the bombings, they do not work,

Dialogue is the only way, talk and talk some more.

Dialogue has also not proven to work with this admin. Questions that are sensitive always seem to get nasty replies or none at all.. At least this was the trend I have seen through news reports and interviews. Simple people resort to simpler solutions. So I am guessing things will get worse before they get better 

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

yet their bombings have not changed the mind set of any of the previous governments or will change this governments thinking, 

Such terrorist attacks are typically directed at public sentiment to pressure an irrefutable government. Even with a military junta government pressure from public "influential" people and groundswell from "common" people can affect government policies.

Hmmm..... i guess when you set up these security checks in Thailand, the damn nuisance is that the people manning (womaning?) them have to stay awake all the time and even worse have to actually do some checking (which will interrupt using LINE on their cellphone.).TIT

6 hours ago, tropo said:

Whether it’s bombs in Bkk or mass shootings in USA, government response is never more than reactionary. 

Just a knee-jerk reaction. 

9 hours ago, bluebluewater said:

Kinda like when they run a mirror under the chassis of a vehicle but don't open the boot?

Aye - these folks are clever.

The main point is to look busy ... both to fool the would be bomber that the authorities are all eyes and vigilant as well as to put the public at ease. By the way, we’re the security guards briefed the types of explosives they are looking out for and their forms?  

Edited by Ctkong
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lkv said:

I advise the following:

As soon as the tourist takes the luggage from the belt and goes through customs, a pocket search sounds like a good idea, to make sure he's not a bad guy.

Then, as the tourist steps into the taxi that charges 2 baht per second instead of 2 baht per 400 meters (personal experience), that taxi must be stopped on the highway for a pee in the cup test.

If the taxi escapes unchecked, and it nicely arrives in Sukhumvit, Thonglo police will take care of the issue, ensuring the peace and stability of the nation.

Welcome to Thailand. We will do everything we can to ensure your safety and the safety of your residence (TM30).

Should a bomb detonate at a place near you, rest assured that we have world class hospitals with a minimum charge of THB 5,000 for every foreigner that walks through the door (verified-friend of mine with dengue fever in Samui, paid 5K to be told to drink water and take paracetamol - would've been more if she hadn't refused to stay overnight).

So sawadee khrap!

/End of rant ????

"(verified-friend of mine with dengue fever in Samui, paid 5K to be told to drink water and take paracetamol - would've been more if she hadn't refused to stay overnight)."

And I bet I know which hospital that was! A friend of mine was charged 4000 baht a few years ago just for a doctor to introduce himself!