Six die per hour from heart attacks in Thailand - more need to know CPR

webfact

Six die per hour from heart attacks in Thailand - more need to know CPR

10pm.jpg

Image: Thai News Agency

Thai News Agency reported on new health data that said that six Thais are dying each hour from sudden cardiac arrest. 

Unexpected heart attacks were causing the death of 50,000 Thais annually, they said. 

They reported that in Bangkok there had been 47,564 emergency calls dealt with on the 1669 number. 

Of these 1,197 involved sudden cardiac arrest. Of these 656 of 54% died at the scene because of incorrect CPR or relatives and other people not knowing how to perform CPR. 

More needs to be done to train people in correct use of CPR so that more lives can be saved, they said.

TNA also reported that 300,000 Thais were dying annually from NCDs - non-communicable diseases.

These were the biggest killer in Thailand and include heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes. 

The average age of people dying from NCD's is 60. 

Source: Thai News Agency

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I am not so sure if society should work hard so that (sick) people live longer.

Everybody agrees that too many people live on earth and it's getting worse.

Let the fittest survive. 

P.S.: I am not part of that fit survival group and I don't really care.

If we don,t get the population down none of this matters.

• Like 2

This is a response I found from a Thai Lawyer when person asked about Good Samaritan Laws in LOS:

Thai Lawyer's Response

According to the Criminal Code, Section 5, 5th paragraph, if you have training in first aid that enables you to save lives, you are by law required to help, but if you are a normal Samaritan with no training you are not legally required to help. You normally are not responsible of the outcome if you tried to help.

The attitude might be:  “Why should I get First Aid/CPR training if I am then required by law to render aid”.  Where I come from assisting in a life or death emergency is not required by law except for on duty first responders.  

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This is a response I found from a Thai Lawyer when person asked about Good Samaritan Laws in LOS:

Thai Lawyer's Response

According to the Criminal Code, Section 5, 5th paragraph, if you have training in first aid that enables you to save lives, you are by law required to help, but if you are a normal Samaritan with no training you are not legally required to help. You normally are not responsible of the outcome if you tried to help.

The attitude might be:  “Why should I get First Aid/CPR training if I am then required by law to render aid”.  Where I come from assisting in a life or death emergency is not required by law except for on duty first responders.  

I do not think there are very many 'normal Samaritans' in Thailand, they are not given visas!

CPR performed outside of the hospital is generally ineffective with the survival rates very low (less than 5%) as dcnx suggests and of that small percentage of survivors the majority are significantly impaired afterwards.  Even in a hospital environment only 15% of all patients, <5% of frail elders and <1% with advanced chronic disease survive and again, depending on the length of CPR a majority are significantly impaired.  I have personally declined CPR in my advanced health care directive among several other procedures.    

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, faraday said:

Hmmm, well, teaching CPR is all very admirable....

I think it would be better that Basic Life Support is taught in all schools, Malls & etc. That would save lives.

Meh,  promote no smoking and the consumption of garbage fast food, that would prevent heart attack deaths.

CPR is not so effective. 

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Not a bad way to go, no buggering about in a Hospital, months of pain or having to put up with relatives whispering, 'he can't last much longer'.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you. I have donated a lot of money for cancer research and others but never for heart disease as I would prefer a big heart attack as the way to cash out.

As far as training in CPR, I have done it from age 16 with many First Aid Certificates, but now they tell me what I was taught is not correct. I hope to never be put in a situation to have use it as I know I will do what I was trained for and not what is current.

32 minutes ago, HLover said:

Meh,  promote no smoking and the consumption of garbage fast food, that would prevent heart attack deaths.

CPR is not so effective. 

As you don't seem to understand about BLS, perhaps it's better to be more informed before commenting. Ok na?

However, I agree that 'prevention is better than cure', but in the meantime, pre hospital basic treatment is ok.

• Like 1

There is something horribly wrong with the maths here.

6 per hour X 24hours X 365.25 days per year (accounting for leap years) = 52,596 deaths/year.

But "They reported that in Bangkok there had been 47,564 emergency calls dealt with on the 1669 number. 

Of these 1,197 involved sudden cardiac arrest. Of these 656 of 54% died at the scene because of incorrect CPR or relatives and other people not knowing how to perform CPR. "

Admittedly the figures are stated to be Bangkok..... where is the basis for a country wife extrapolation. 1,197 in Bangkok is not 60,000 nationwide!

36 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

And if they survive  cardiac arrest and then go home on a motorcycle they are as good as dead anyway.

Yes, impaired motor function post cardiac arrest would have an adverse effect when driving a motorcycle home.

Your insight is amazing.

Just now, HLover said:

Yes, impaired motor function post cardiac arrest would have an adverse effect when driving a motorcycle home.

Your insight is amazing.

Gosh, nothing gets by you, does it young man!!

Top of the class. :clap2:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Thai Lawyer's Response

I won’t help anyone here unless it’s a close friend. Saw a car crash into the moat once here in Chiang Mai. I pulled over (happened right in front of me) and watched from the road as they yelled for help. I just pointed down so Thais could stop and help them. No thanks. I know people who have been put on the hook here for trying to help others.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

More need to know which heart-healthier foods to eat.

Look around most restaurants and all fast/street food places. How much of it is fried food? Disaster for cholesterol levels. Recipe for heart problems in mid/late life

[Says one who had a chest pain while out on his daily exercise and who thought he was fit/healthy/good diet. 4 weeks later and six weeks ago had a triple bypass. Gunged up area of artery, probably from the days when I used to eat without too much regard to health].

Look at all the pork they eat and its not lean meat where I live it's almost impossible to find beef. Look at all the fat kids running l mean walking around

• Like 2