Want to extend visa by 30 days but hotel says they don't file TM30's?

I am staying in a bungalow type complex long term here, I knew they hadn't filed my TM30 as they didn't take my passport.  When I asked about this, they simply said they don't tell immigration about people staying here and sorry about that basically.  It's quite a large complex and on all the booking sites so a bit surprising.

So if I go to immigration to try and extend what is going to happen?  I get fined? Won't get the stamp?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sampson said:

So if I go to immigration to try and extend what is going to happen?  I get fined? Won't get the stamp?  

All depends on which office you’re applying at and their local rules.

It could be neither or either. They might not issue the extension until a TM.30 is completed, and as you’ve been staying “long term” they might fine you.

The worst thing that can happen for you is that Immigration can fine you 800/1600/2000 baht depending on which office you will go to. Nothing more, and they might want you to file a TM30 before they extend your permission to stay.

Edited by Matzzon

8 hours ago, Papafarang said:

Just put the address on the extension form that immigration give you and let immigration sort it out the householder is responsible for the TM30 

and they might get a very big fine

In the case of Sampson, who started this topic, it is the manager of the hotel who is responsible to notify his arrival to immigration.

• Like 1

I had the same situation recently with a guest house in Pattaya.  When I applied for a visa extension the computer told them my TM30 had not been lodged.   They phoned the guest house and had the owner come to Jomtien immigration while I waited.  The owner came and was fined 2,000 baht.   I got my extension but the guest house owner asked me to leave the hotel without refunding me the pre paid rent money or my security bond of 1,000 baht.  I could have gone back to immigration to complain but thought it best to just leave it be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you want to avoid problems to the bungalow owner just checkin at a 500 thb hotel that you are sure will fill the form (how to be sure?). And even if you are not sure, you won't stay there more than 1 day, so don't care.

Maybe you pay the fine but at least you keep your long term bungalow and avoid problems for the owner.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Good luck to you if immigration investigates and fines the owner. Might be better to move. Why should you get caught up with a lawbreaker and any revenge he might take against you?

Good advice 

6 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

If you want to avoid problems to the bungalow owner just checkin at a 500 thb hotel that you are sure will fill the form (how to be sure?). And even if you are not sure, you won't stay there more than 1 day, so don't care.

Maybe you pay the fine but at least you keep your long term bungalow and avoid problems for the owner.

And what happens if the IO says the 500 baht hotel hasn't logged you on a TM30. "excuse me sir you stayed there one night, where were you before this" 

You will either lie and risk putting yourself in all sorts of trouble or tell the truth and end up with the standard fine and also getting the bungalow owners in trouble.

Therefore doing the one thing you were trying to avoid. 

• Haha 1

Why do not you ask the hotel to make a report now? 

Explain to them if they do not, they will get fined by immigration . 

Immigration will not ask where you stayed before , so it would be as if you just moved into this place 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

From past experience, if it is Jomtien Immigration Office, it will be a 1600 baht fine for the Applicant, and a 5000 baht fine for the Landlord.

You don't have to pay any fine at Jomtien Immigration if you're staying at a hotel/guesthouse which are required by law to do the TM30. But,if you can't get in touch with the person who's supposed to do the reporting, and you need the extension,you might have to pay the fine,get a receipt,and then let the hotel/guesthouse refund you. They will prefer that to a maximum fine of 10000 Baht.

10 hours ago, berybert said:

Fly out and back in again, having an overnight stay in a different country. Might cost more in the long run, but could save you hours of hassle at immigration.

That's overkill,when it's not his responsibility doing the TM30 in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoonOh said:

Chiang Mai Immigration is happy to issue an extension without TM30

Just pay 1600 baht penalty + visa fee 

Office needs new BMW 

TM30 is Not tourist responsibility is an extortion by immigration 

So why pay the fine if it's not his responsibility?

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

In the case of Sampson, who started this topic, it is the manager of the hotel who is responsible to notify his arrival to immigration.

"the householder is responsible for the TM30."

I said this about three days ago, and some posters replied and said that was not the case.

I think some posters are as mixed up as the immigration offices.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"the householder is responsible for the TM30."

I said this about three days ago, and some posters replied and said that was not the case.

I think some posters are as mixed up as the immigration offices.

In this case it's not Sampson's responsibility. But, if I was him,I would pay the fine,get the receipt,and get the money back from the place where he's staying. I did it myself a few years ago because I needed the extension.

Edited by Max69xl

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

In this case it's not Sampson's responsibility. But, if I was him,I would pay the fine,get the receipt,and get the money back from the place where he's staying. I did it myself a few years ago because I needed the extension.

Yes, but what is the chance of him getting any money back from the place where he was staying, even with a receipt?

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but what is the chance of him getting any money back from the place where he was staying, even with a receipt?

If they are required to do the TM30, and haven't done it because they're lazy,then just remind them about the fines. I got my 1600 baht back from my landlord, because he wasn't around when he was supposed to do it. So I did it myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You don't have to pay any fine at Jomtien Immigration if you're staying at a hotel/guesthouse which are required by law to do the TM30. But,if you can't get in touch with the person who's supposed to do the reporting, and you need the extension,you might have to pay the fine,get a receipt,and then let the hotel/guesthouse refund you. They will prefer that to a maximum fine of 10000 Baht.

Not my experience.

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not my experience.

I stay 5 min. from Jomtien Immigration,and have been in the room with desk 10 a few times. The officers used to give people a chance to contact the hotel and tell someone to come to immigration. In my case the landlord had forgotten because he was out of town when I moved in. I paid 1600 baht,got my receipt and later got my money back.

4 hours ago, dean2926 said:

I had the same situation recently with a guest house in Pattaya.  When I applied for a visa extension the computer told them my TM30 had not been lodged.   They phoned the guest house and had the owner come to Jomtien immigration while I waited.  The owner came and was fined 2,000 baht.   I got my extension but the guest house owner asked me to leave the hotel without refunding me the pre paid rent money or my security bond of 1,000 baht.  I could have gone back to immigration to complain but thought it best to just leave it be.

This sort f thing happening often should bring thoses tourists numbers down