TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

Why is the TM 6 Arrival Card not enough ? It asks for your place of

Residence. If you have lived in Thailand 5,10,15 years...do they REALLY

think you will Lie on your TM 6 ???  

For 90 day Tourists, this is not their concern. But for the Expat, it is.

What if you rent and the Homeowner lives in another Province or Country ?

What if they are on Holiday ?  Why is the TM 30 link Down for renters but

Not for Hotels ???

If a person were to own a condo in his name and was registered at the Immigration office how would he get nabbed for not filing in a form if he visited his wifes' family up north for several weeks at a time.
They wouldn't.

Problem is if you leave the country or stay in a hotel anyplace.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

its  gonna  take  you the best part of a  day to get there, enjoy your 2  day stay, ps  youll get 6  months in the Uk  no reporting of anything, even if you stay with me +  bonus I dont have to report you either  ( atlhough i might)..........got two spare  bedrooms  but you'd  probably rather freeze to death outside in an English summer.

If she was granted a visa.

TM30 is as outdated as Thai officials ! Firstly I’m grateful the bbc has highlighted this issue as it’s causing many foreign nationals a big headache... schools already struggling for decent teachers as i know to my own cost,as send son to private school as the mainstream school teachers learn Thai children next to nothing. This young lady was not at fault,.as it’s down to the landlord that she’s staying with to fax across her details to the immigration. Personally I wouldn’t have paid a penny in fines,a friend of mine who runs a hotel in Pattaya ( Thai & American ) fined over 45,000 baht for not informing Thai officials of guests. Now they comply with the laws,by making a copy of passport and sending info Thai immigration regular,.My point being if they are fining hoteliers and other businesses why therefor are they making a school teacher pay over £330 in fines ? Guests shouldn’t be made accountable when arriving at the airport immigration making you fill out your boarding cards of stay so it’s already noted where your staying... Thailand the land of smiles ????  not anymore it’s the land of fines

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Well, it can't be of too good a quality, as the site restricted the size amount I could upload.

I had to Resubmit mine three times at lower resolutions before it would allow me to submit,  now the long wait for the user name and password 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"This whole TM30 saga has been blown totally out of proportion"

For your own situation, OK ! 

But... I rent a house for seven years in Koh Samui, my owner a rather old lady moved to Suratthani, could you explain how could I manage to follow this law, sometimes she does not answer my phone but always call me back most of the time the next day. She has no computer, I cannot fill the TM30 myself otherwise I would do it without complaining and would go to immigration. I do no know how I will manage it intelligently ????

My owner lives in Germany, I do a TM28 at Jomtien which currently they appear happy with, it was done at Reception the last time a couple weeks ago, I didn’t even go into the office.

• Confused 1

You can all keep carrying on and whinging about this TM30 law but be honest about the answer to my question. How many 1st world countries that you have come from would change their immigration laws to suit a small minority group of foreigners that live in their country? Would the US change its immigration laws to suit a couple of thousand immigrants? What about the UK? I know that Australia would not and neither would New Zealand. You may not like the laws but Thailand has every right to enforce any of their laws as they see fit, the same as any other country in the world does. If you do not like the laws here or you are not willing to live by the laws here then my suggestion would be for you to check the laws of all the countries of the world and find one that you could live in and abide by their laws and move to that country where you can find the happiness that you are searching for to live your life. I believe that the small minority of farangs here in Thailand will not get these laws changed unless they get the majority of Thai citizens to join the push to have the laws changed. Foriegners can be kicked out of a country at any time that the country wants to get rid of them.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Yes they do have all the records. I wasn’t worried about TM30 until yesterday when a friend told me he had been fined.

He went to immigration to get some required document for his driving licence (not sure what exactly) and the lady brought up his details on the computer and then spun the screen round so he could see it and there were the names of all the hotels he had stayed in over the last few months....he got fined 1,800THB and had to pay it before they would give him the documents he needed.

BUT he wasn’t allowed to pay the fine...as the house was in his wife’s name she was the one who had to come down to the office to pay the fine before they would give him the documents.

Until yesterday I thought this was all a Thai Visa urban myth....it’s not....it’s real.

Does his wife know about all the hotels he stayed at 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Totally agree.  From what I have read it is not Thailand doing this freely but under pressure from "Big Brother" to track people.  Think about it......not everybody has facebook!

oh yeah of course, I was actually speaking in general terms and society globally speaking.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They wouldn't.

Problem is if you leave the country or stay in a hotel anyplace.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sheryl, what about if one flies to a different town in Thailand to visit a wife or partner there (or anyone, or no one, for that matter!)? Does the airline report our flight to the Authorities?? This is a genuine question. Thanks for any info you can give!

Edited by Eligius
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, GraThai said:

I totally agree that TM30 is an outdated law however I have lived here in Thailand for 30+  years and try to abide by all the rules including this one. Every time I return home from a trip she fills in the form pops into immigration and its done so what is the massive problem...unless of course people have something to hide?????

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You dont travel around Thailand frequently.  If a biker takes a trip for a day or two every week he will have to make frequent illogical trips to the IO.  //

Why that? He will just have to take 2 minutes on his mobile every time he come back to notify Immigration that he returned home... (or what else ??)

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Just ban them all together

So my wife who lives in the UK and is on a settlement visa should be banned because you dont like the TM30, thanks a lot for your understanding on how families like to live together

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, mania said:

We no longer live in Thailand & visiting 2-3 months a year on a Type O I get for $80 here at local Thai Consulate seems just fine without any reporting etc etc

I really enjoy the 3 months

But every time I read about this TM30 I just shake my head.,,,

What I cannot figure out is

I totally agree with the first paragraph you've written.

My first time in Thailand, I stayed for five and a half months, 2008-09, and that was great. Then I lived there for most of the time during 2014-2019, and much of that was great. 2019 was not great, and in decline, so like you, I no longer live in Thailand.

Why bother trying to figure anything out?

I've refocused my energies. I lived in Chiang Mai, where it is easy to get two things: Complacent and delusional. I confess to the former. Your 3 months per year plan, or something like 3-7 months per year... not always the same length of stay, avoid the worst time of year... hot season, Chinese New Year... that leaves the July thru January time frame. Maybe get one visa and do one border hop or two... pick a few other spots you like... keep it fresh, keep the complacency at bay... that opens up some new possibilities. I know in my case, there are things I just wasn't getting done from the Chiang Mai Comfort Zone, things that are important to me. But give me a few inconvenient shake-ups, and I'll somehow manage to arrange my priorities & focus on what's important.

All I need to figure out about the TM-30 is, whether I can live with it or not... perhaps. I'll keep monitoring from afar for now.

By contrast, I've got a 10 year Chinese tourist visa in my passport, but the Great Firewall makes my life there impossible, so I probably won't return to that country any time soon, say, in this lifetime. No need to figure out the great firewall. It will be there, and I will be someplace else.

Maybe I'll return to Thailand, maybe not. Maybe I'll go back for 3-5 months, like you... maybe not every year... these sorts of options are becoming more interesting to me. Perhaps my path will take me elsewhere for a few years... or forever... who knows?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

One of the reasons you have to fill in a lot of paperwork and prove finances is because people abused the system in the past and stayed on and managing through the system to claim public funds from the uk and get free medical treatment.

Don't blame the UK for it, blame Thai people who worked the system to steal from UK. They are the ones you should direct your anger at.

Can you list all the benefits that Thailand bestows on it's visitors??

PS.

It's called Great Britain, not England.

Almost gave you a like but it is actually the United Kingdom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1