Moving to Siem Reap but want to visit wife and boy

The weak pound and strong Baht have left me litttle option but top leave Thailand. I have been staying here on a retirement extension.  I do not wish to be separated from my family, so rather than go back to the UK, I decide to spend a week in Siem Reap to see if it cheaper to live there. I found accomodation, food, drink transport and general living much nearer what I can afford - so I am planning to go there to stay for an indeterminate amount of time until financial circumstances allow me to return. In the meantime I intend to apply for a 6 or 12 month visa in Cambodia which includes multi entry permission to leave and return.

My question is what visas will I need to make return (regular?) visits to Thailand.? I do not intend to renew my retirement extension, so I presumably will not be required to do 90 day reporting or completeing TM30s.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

This is incredibly sad and I hope those of you on here with the necessary funds will not be dicks about it.

He is a father, yet has to leave Thailand because he doesn't have the ridiculous amount of money that the immigration say that he must have. 

Shame on any who criticise him for this, you should bow UR head in shame.

A person who does not have 40K/month income marries and becomes a father (most probably at 50+ age). How many people in their home country do that? Only in Thailand and I wonder why and how. They certainly won't go to Moldova and do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The financials for married folk are not difficult.

Correct. If legally married to a Thai, one only needs 5K for Non O ME and may be 9K for border run. Around 15K per year. This post highlight that people born in a western country are unable to come up with extra 15K or 500USD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Best solution is to get a multiple entry non-o visa based on marriage in Savannahket. 

No need to show any financial proof 

There you go, directly on point.

Being from the UK you could also enter visa exempt for a couple shorter visits. As long as your not stringing them together.

On the wider idea of moving. It does seem that any savings, by living in Seam Reap, would be eaten up by the added travel expenses.  So I assume you cannot, or do not want to, leave the 800K (400K) in the bank.

Best of luck - hard combo of your currencies moving independently in opposite directions.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that you are allowed only 2 visa exempt entries by land border per year. That is why I asked about planned mode of travel. There is no limit coming by air but at both air and land  entry points IOs will look at total time being spent in Thailand which is why I also asked about likely number and duration of trips. Particulalry having previously lived in Thailand,  you might be courting trouble trying to use tourist visas/visa exempt entries if your stays add up to many months per year.

A multiple entry non-O visa would certainly be best way to avoid problems on entry. However while Savannakhet may currently issue non-O ME without financial proofs, that could change. Many places require proof of funds though amount often less than needed for an extension of stay based on marriage (which in turn is half of what is required for retirement extension - 400K rather than 800k).

I assume you are aware that instead of extension of stay based on retirement you could get one based on marriage to a Thai or having a Thai child? Requirement for that is 40K a month or 400K in the bank and no limitations on spending it once the extension is approved (should not draw down on it during the under consideration period).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, amykat said:

o Dr. Literal, you must be having a hard time here?  Even after all these years here you don’t know that the phrase Thai wife, does not always mean legally married?  Probably in most cases when you hear it, it does not?  And when discussing children it is often stepchildren or the girlfriend’s child from another man to be literal.  Understand now?

Sounds like the lowest common denominator of Thai society and women. Glad I dont run with that crowd. I doubt he is having a hard time. I imagine he enjoys life with a great wife and kids and does not have to worry about the dark side of Thailand.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, argoscrete said:

Thank you to those who provided helpful replies about visas and entry, it has helped me consider my options.

The unpleasant and judgmental replies from some only serve to highlight the deeply unpleasant nature of some of your readers and how opinions are born out of prejudice with scant regard for anyhtng other thean their own reality and ignorance.

I'm sure you have cleared up question re marriage. I got pulled up by member stating that some refer to "wife" when in actual fact its a partner. I live in los 7 yrs with Thai partner. I am not married. Also in relation to Thai child. We assume your biological son. 

In any event if you are in fact married or in fact have Thai child then there are ways of remaining in Thailand that are more simple and cheaper than moving to Cambodia. Add to that the cost of trips to Los. All sounds crazy to me and few others. That's not negative its just practical thinking.

• Like 1

Op get an agent! 15-25k !  Cheaper than paying rent and multiple trips to see tyour your family. Things may not improve for over a decade, you going to stay in Cambodia all that time?

If you dont get an agent then can only assume you want freedom from your family

• Like 2

1st; Cambodia is NOT cheaper than thailand,  You'll need a 1 year extension ( are you over 55?) thats $300/year. If your not over 55, how will you get a 1 year extension unless your working>  You could get an EG ( looking for work) 6 month extension but after 7 months u need reapply an start all over.

You can than travel to thailand visa-less 2x by land border and maybe 4-5times flying in at which point you will need a visa. Thai Embassy Phnom Penh usually wont give more than 2 of those.

Than what??

I suggest an agent and it will cost ya 20-25,000 baht/year if you dont have the finances  ( 800,000 baht)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, onera1961 said:

A person who does not have 40K/month income marries and becomes a father (most probably at 50+ age). How many people in their home country do that? Only in Thailand and I wonder why and how. They certainly won't go to Moldova and do that. 

Life happens. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marin said:

Sounds like the lowest common denominator of Thai society and women. Glad I dont run with that crowd. I doubt he is having a hard time. I imagine he enjoys life with a great wife and kids and does not have to worry about the dark side of Thailand.. 

Who are you talking about?  I wrote to Dr.Jack not the OP, I was defending the OP, you seem to be attempting to defend someone but are putting down pretty much every guy who is not married to a virgin?

Many people use the word Thai wife to be polite let’s say, for almost any kind of relationship, nicer for the lady to be referred to that way.  People don’t really need to know if you are legally married or not.  Many women by the age of 30 have a child before meeting Mr Farang, just like women all over the world, what does that have to do with the dark side?

I meant, to Jack, that if he is so so literal all the time, Thailand will be difficult for him, Thais are not direct, and he is dealing with other expat cultures I assume, not only OZ people.

From another post in TV:  If your currency fails you (and all western expats can relate), then just sent the Thai wife out to work.  She can easily make 10-15,000 Tb per month.  So far, TG, I haven’t reached that point.  But the Baht has bedevilled us all.

35 minutes ago, amykat said:

Who are you talking about?  I wrote to Dr.Jack not the OP, I was defending the OP, you seem to be attempting to defend someone but are putting down pretty much every guy who is not married to a virgin?

Many people use the word Thai wife to be polite let’s say, for almost any kind of relationship, nicer for the lady to be referred to that way.  People don’t really need to know if you are legally married or not.  Many women by the age of 30 have a child before meeting Mr Farang, just like women all over the world, what does that have to do with the dark side?

I meant, to Jack, that if he is so so literal all the time, Thailand will be difficult for him, Thais are not direct, and he is dealing with other expat cultures I assume, not only OZ people.

Come on. If someone comes onto Thai visa for advice, especially someone as per OP, would be very aware of visas available for people married to a Thai or parent of Thai child. This is critical for sensible advice. If not married or parent Thai child then options come down to non o based on retirement. I can't see where OP has given clear indication of either. 

• Like 1

Well yes Jack that is true, it would be better to be very specific when speaking about such things, but the awareness that many people are not and to pick up clues when they are not being such, is a good skill to have.

"1st; Cambodia is NOT cheaper than thailand,  You'll need a 1 year extension ( are you over 55?) thats $300/year. If your not over 55, how will you get a 1 year extension unless your working>  You could get an EG ( looking for work) 6 month extension but after 7 months u need reapply an start all over."

I lived and worked in Siem Reap some years ago. Even then Cambodia was expensive. Our modest company paid house cost 1000 $US. You get way more for it in Bangkok nowadays. Sure you can eat cheaply at the local market if you have a very robust digestive system.

Siem Reap is a tourist town, prices are aimed at tourists. You will pay those tourist prices too. 

If your income is in £££, you need to convert to US$. Will that be better than converting to Baht?

I doubt one week in S.R. will actually be sufficient to see that the grass is not greener ......

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Letseng said:

Siem Reap is a tourist town, prices are aimed at tourists. You will pay those tourist prices too. 

I agree. There's more scope to downsize to a lower budget in Thailand (even with a lamentable home country currency) than in any neighbouring country. Whether such a reassment of spending habits will fly with the wife is another matter. I guess a big part of the problem here though might be the financials relating to extensions. 

I have to admit that I'm confused by the OP.   The inability to meet the financial criteria of a Retirement extension, but then opts to in effect sustain two households, one for his family in Thailand and one for himself in Cambodia.   Apart from what in effect is doubling of outgoings, there's the travel costs etc etc.

• Like 2