Cambodia sees drop in foreign tourists to famed Angkor

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia has seen an 11-percent decline in the number of foreign tourists to the famed Angkor Archeological Park during the first eight months of 2019, said an official statement on Sunday.

The ancient park attracted 1.55 million foreign tourists during the January-August period this year, down 11 percent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise’s statement.

It added that the Southeast Asian nation made gross revenue of 69.4 million U.S. dollars from ticket sales to the foreigners visiting the park during the first eight months of the year, a decrease of 11.8 percent over the same period last year.

In August alone, the Angkor received 158,124 foreign visitors earning 7.15 million dollars from ticket sales, down 21.6 percent and 21.5 percent, respectively compared to the same month last year, it said.

China, the United States, and South Korea remained the largest sources of foreign arrivals to the park.

Cambodian Tourism Minister Thong Khon has pinned the blame on "zero dollar" tour companies for a slump in foreign tourists to the Angkor and vowed to take action against them.

"The decrease in international arrivals to the Angkor so far this year resulted from the zero-cost tours offered by some tour operators last year," he said at a tourism seminar in July, adding that "zero dollar" tour operators had discouraged tourists to re-visit Cambodia because they got ripped off them.

He said the "zero-dollar" tour companies took tourists to buy high-priced products, and the companies, or tour guides, got large kickbacks from the business owners.

"We're trying our best to bring the growth of tourists to the Angkor again... if any travel agents or tour operators are found offering zero-cost tours, they will not be allowed to continue their businesses anymore," he said. "This business practice has been damaging Cambodia's reputation and tourism."

Chhim Narith, Cambodian branch manager of Asian Overland Travel, said the hike of ticket prices two years ago was also a factor contributing to the fall of international arrivals to the site.

Since February 2017, the price for a one-day ticket to visit the Angkor rose from 20 dollars to 37 dollars, a three-day pass increased from 40 dollars to 62 dollars and a seven-day ticket climbed from 60 dollars to 72 dollars.

Located in northwestern Siem Reap province, the Angkor Archeological Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1992, is the kingdom's most popular tourist destination.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-09/01/c_138355135.htm

If you want to be turned off visiting Angkor Wat, by other than the greedy fee hikes, check the tourist images on Google. In many photos, you can't even tell what you're looking at. The photos paint a horrendous exploration experience. I'm glad I saw them in 2004-5. It's unlikely I'll ever go back. 

There have been stories about the mounting destruction of the stone steps and walls by the tens of thousands of tourists. Goodbye Angkor Wat. It was nice knowing you.

57 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

If you want to be turned off visiting Angkor Wat, by other than the greedy fee hikes, check the tourist images on Google. In many photos, you can't even tell what you're looking at. The photos paint a horrendous exploration experience. I'm glad I saw them in 2004-5. It's unlikely I'll ever go back. 

There have been stories about the mounting destruction of the stone steps and walls by the tens of thousands of tourists. Goodbye Angkor Wat. It was nice knowing you.

Same as you ; they keep packing people in they walk anywhere damaging the park, taking bits of rock. Seriously its the only worthwhile tourist attraction in Siam Reap. 

First visit in 2002:Great back then. You could actually get pictures of the temples, bas reliefs, and sculptures without tourists in the way. Revisited in 2008 with my first digital camera to get better quality pictures :Was virtually impossible to get 'tourist free' pictures at the major temples. Can't even imagine what it looks like now :a circus with hordes of Chinese in every frame. 

The sad thing is that many of the visitors are not especially interested in history or architecture. They are just ' doing ' the place.

Met three British girls in Khao Sahn who had ' done ' it and pronounced it ' ok ' but when asked about castles or cathedrals back in the UK they said they had never been to any and were not really into old ' stuff '

But they had ' done ' Angkhor and might ' do ' Ayuddhaya if they got bored on Ko Samui.

32 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

First visit in 2002:Great back then. You could actually get pictures of the temples, bas reliefs, and sculptures without tourists in the way. Revisited in 2008 with my first digital camera to get better quality pictures :Was virtually impossible to get 'tourist free' pictures at the major temples. Can't even imagine what it looks like now :a circus with hordes of Chinese in every frame. 

I lived in S R. from 2004 to 2007. It was fantastic to visit Angkor. Early morning visits to Ta Phrom. I revisited S.R. in 2013. There was no chance to get to Ta Phrom and enjoy the peace and quiet. It now was noise and masses of people. They now even allow buses into historical park. Time for tourist nos. to go down.

It's no surprise the way the whole place has been horribly mismanaged. As others mentioned, I first went in 2005 and it was busy but bearable. You could get some great photos if you went against the crowds in their typical tourist circuit - start at #3 and get ahead of everyone and then backtrack to 1 and 2 later after the crowds.

Went again last year just before the price increase and what a difference. Hordes of Chinese tour groups piling in and out of their buses at each stop. It was damn near impossible to get a good photo without crowds in the shot. Also the wear and tear on the temples was noticeable. 

The town itself has become Pattaya (san sex shows) with bars and <deleted> restaurants all over. Massive over-development and little planning have turned Siem Reap into a mess. 

The zero-dollar tour business is quite evident - large convention sized hotels on the outskirts filled with tour buses, large chinese food dining halls filled with tour buses, and large souvenir shops again filled with tour buses.

But given the close ties between the Hun Sen crowd and China I would imagine quite a few well connected Khmers are doing very, very well. And as usual the locals get the <deleted> end of the stick.

Who want to pay $40 to see a few old temples and ruins ?  They should never have increased the ticket prices. Most tourists visiting Angkor only want to stay for a couple of hours.  

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

Same as you ; they keep packing people in they walk anywhere damaging the park, taking bits of rock. Seriously its the only worthwhile tourist attraction in Siam Reap. 

In my opinion there are other interesting tourist attractions in or near Siem Reap. First, the superb Khmer Cultural Center with its associated gardens and parkland where live cultural music, dance and other activity shows are performed at various "villages". Second, the thrilling performances at the Phare Cambodian Circus (acrobats, not animals). Third, a visit to one of the floating villages on Tonle Sap. Fourth, a visit to the National Angkor Museum. Fifth, a visit to the quieter "genuine" silk farm out in the countryside (not one the Chinese flock to) where the workers operate a co-operative producing high quality silk products. Entrance is free and you see every working stage from growing mulberry bushes, silk worms and the dyeing and weaving of the silk. Sixth, there is a small "Killing Field" with temple and bone collection but not on the scale as that in Phnom Penh. Seventh, there is a landmine museum with associated school and accommodation for orphaned or injured children whose art is on display. And finally for all you "bar stool pundits" there is the nightly Pub Street - much more civilized these days now that the clutter of street mini-bars, electric cables and ghetto blasting music have been banned.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Who want to pay $40 to see a few old temples and ruins ?  They should never have increased the ticket prices. Most tourists visiting Angkor only want to stay for a couple of hours.  

Can't you just climb over a wall, or a fence? ????

I went in 1999 and have not gone back since. Hired a moto driver for 2 days and had 90% of the temple sites all to myself. All they had at the entrance was a small desk manned by one guy collecting the fees. Don't remember any tour groups and definitely no Chinese. Siem Riep was a small village with no significant nightlife and only a few small guesthouses. I am kind of afraid to go back as it will spoil my memories of the place.

11 hours ago, geovalin said:

Since February 2017, the price for a one-day ticket to visit the Angkor rose from 20 dollars to 37 dollars, a three-day pass increased from 40 dollars to 62 dollars and a seven-day ticket climbed from 60 dollars to 72 dollars.

That's the reason why less people are going - it's a rip off!

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Can't you just climb over a wall, or a fence? ????

As someone whose first visit was in 1992. You've not been able to get in free since 1993. Even 1992 wasn't easy. You've obviously never visited.

I'm not certain been so long but I think the price was 30 us for three days.

5 hours ago, balo said:

they almost doiubled the entrancefee ! No wonder the number of visitors is declining. Indeed, never have paid that much money for a comparable visit.

Is there a specific reason Isaan Sailor for you always using the ChiCom term. Chinese should suffice. It reminds of the derogatory term Leftist or worse still Leftard. I could be totally wrong but I could assume you are an American or an Australian? The reason I say that is because I’m Australian and when it comes to inert racism those two countries rate 1 and 2. To be honest I don’t quite get why there seems to be so many racist farang on Thaivisa living in South East Asia? What is that about?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

really? when did this happen?

I visited last year and did not see any sex shows, not that I was looking for it, but I stayed in the bar areas and not one go go bar, unless they are located outside the city. 

9 hours ago, singking said:

Is there a specific reason Isaan Sailor for you always using the ChiCom term. Chinese should suffice. It reminds of the derogatory term Leftist or worse still Leftard. I could be totally wrong but I could assume you are an American or an Australian? The reason I say that is because I’m Australian and when it comes to inert racism those two countries rate 1 and 2. To be honest I don’t quite get why there seems to be so many racist farang on Thaivisa living in South East Asia? What is that about?

they left their home countries because they didnt like the immigrants moving there and dont have the intelligence to see that they are immigrants themselves in someone elses country. rules for thee but not for me. I guess racism could be defined as a superiority complex

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

really? when did this happen? when i went there is was just a bunch old stone temples and no people. 

who wants to see that?

there a lot of images of topless women in those old stone temples. I sometimes wonder if they were really old stone brothels 

16 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

And finally for all you "bar stool pundits" there is the nightly Pub Street - much more civilized these days now that the clutter of street mini-bars, electric cables and ghetto blasting music have been banned.

Have they silenced Temple Bar, which ruined the whole Pub St atmosphere with its overwhelming audio attack? If so, this will renew my interest in returning to SR for a look at possibly moving there. Although I suppose the overwhelming Chinese tour groups still pollute the streets. 

Archived