New Bank Regulations as of 26 August

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's a minor inconvenience. If I'm withdrawing serious money I'd expect to produce a passport. If not just use ATM. If they stop ATM use for farang that's a red flag for me. Another move to push us out.

Ironically direct deposits from work I'm certain will be gladly accepted without ID.

Why would they stop ATM use for farang? A common Thai doesn't even get a MasterCard or Visa debit.

Our cards functionality are way better than for the Thai. Don't be so paranoid. And if Thai people needs to show an ID-card and farang a passport,then the requirement is equal for everyone. 

• Like 1

I've just been to two different banks in Udon Thani.

Deposited some cash in one, and gave them some hard cash for a car repayment in the other.

Looks like the bush telegraph to Udon hasn't arrived yet. I went armed with my passport (and other documents, so if interrogated in the cells questioned, I could try so see which might be accepted before offering my passport).

No one asked for any documents at all. Perhaps I can get to play next month, eh?

Seriously though - forewarned is forearmed as they say, thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I've just been to two different banks in Udon Thani.

Deposited some cash in one, and gave them some hard cash for a car repayment in the other.

Looks like the bush telegraph to Udon hasn't arrived yet. I went armed with my passport (and other documents, so if interrogated in the cells questioned, I could try so see which might be accepted before offering my passport).

No one asked for any documents at all. Perhaps I can get to play next month, eh?

Seriously though - forewarned is forearmed as they say, thanks.

That is why it’s so frustrating . I use the same branch, last week no problems to use thai DL, yesterday no, only passport , new regulations. 

Today going back with passport,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

That is why it’s so frustrating . I use the same branch, last week no problems to use thai DL, yesterday no, only passport , new regulations. 

Today going back with passport,

My plan was going to be, in ascending order: pink ID card>Thai DL>passport, but no one will play so far.

• Haha 1

For KTB at least it is not a "local" issue.

Took the picture below at our microbranch.

It's in Thai and in a way no news for Thai people as they are obligated to carry their ID in public at any time. Very few will have a passport with them.

Now draw your conclusions: no mention of DL. Try it.

Other banks might just not care to give a note in Thai as it so self-evident that they show their Thai ID card.

20190906_123615.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Just came back from the same branch and used passport this time.

Now procedure has changed from what i gathered, i was taking money out i should point out.

Previously Thai DL was accepted, sometimes copy was made but not all the time and passport number/DL number written by hand on the withdrawal slip

Today was different, they entered all passport data into computer, Naturally i could not see the screen or know what exactly was being entered but it took a while and following tellers eyes, i think everything from passport number, to date of birth, full name and country.

it appeared to be something new, because teller kept calling over branch manager to confirm the data being entered.

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Anywhere in the world bank requires identification to withdraw money . Limiting it to passport only is silly when there are other official ID cards such as driving license or pink ID card.

name matches, photo matches, you are identified.

again, in 20 years not once was I asked for passport to withdraw money, thai DL always accepted . Kbank , Krungsi and TMB

Still confused my people argue or post how it works for them.

i posted what bank told me and posted signs all over the branch, which states as of 26 August, passport only as per BOT new regulations.

This is all I saw, this is all I was told and this is all I posted . 

If I have this correctly, your wording suggests that you posted these regulations around the bank branch????

Does seem like a change.  Usually could deposit or w/d without an ID, but mine was a small branch, and I was one of only a handful of foreigners around.  Always made a copy of my PP for over-the-counter withdrawals using foreign debit card, which was understandable.

Bright side is many of us rarely step foot in a branch.  On-line, App and using ATMs is banking for me 99% of the time.

Everytime I withdraw money from an ATM, I always show my passport to the ATM screen to the cashier behind the ATM, who puts the money in the in the slot for me to take out. I have been doing this for years with no issues.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The OP said you have to produce the passport to also pay in to your own account, not only withdraw.

?? What's the difference?? Direct deposit? I guarantee that isn't going to happen.

All direct deposits halted. I've got money on no. Any takers?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

?? What's the difference?? Direct deposit? I guarantee that isn't going to happen.

All direct deposits halted. I've got money on no. Any takers?

I don't think they thought that far, do you? Remember where you are - The Land Of Can't Think An Idea Through.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Can not withdraw 100000 or more with ATM. 

Nothing to do with multi class society, as I mentioned bank notice states the same for thai nationals, no DL as of 26 August 

Well, my wife gets any amount (for her business) against DL, still.

And yes, you can withdraw any amount upto Baht 500'000 per day (in lots of 25K-30K, depending on the bank) provided you have specified the max. limit you want to be able to withdraw. At least in my case (Bangkok Bank) it works at Baht 25K per transaction. And, in all fairness, how often do you withdraw more than Baht 25K - yet compare that with parking the car, entering the bank, filling the form, taking a queue number etc. etc. ....... your call! 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:48 PM, Number 6 said:

It's a minor inconvenience. If I'm withdrawing serious money I'd expect to produce a passport. If not just use ATM. If they stop ATM use for farang that's a red flag for me. Another move to push us out.

Ironically direct deposits from work I'm certain will be gladly accepted without ID.

Never use ATM wlways withdrew from exchange inside of bank.

1 minute ago, Percy P said:

Never use ATM wlways withdrew from exchange inside of bank.

I fail to see the advantage unless you only keep one account with a fairly large sum. ATM small money. No ATM savings.

They're going to start charging you for that.

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, my wife gets any amount (for her business) against DL, still.

And yes, you can withdraw any amount upto Baht 500'000 per day (in lots of 25K-30K, depending on the bank) provided you have specified the max. limit you want to be able to withdraw. At least in my case (Bangkok Bank) it works at Baht 25K per transaction. And, in all fairness, how often do you withdraw more than Baht 25K - yet compare that with parking the car, entering the bank, filling the form, taking a queue number etc. etc. ....... your call! 

Well i was able to use my DL for 20 years but yesterday was told otherwise. Signs already been posted on this thread, so what exactly are you trying to debate or prove?

And no your wife can not withdraw 500 000 per day through an ATM, NO bank has ATM limits set at 500 000 per day

But if you wish to go deeper, most banks are 20 000 per withdrawal, Bangkok Bank 25 000 per withdrawal and Krungsi bank 30 000 per withdrawal.

How often do i withdraw more than 25000? at least 4-5 times per month and no, i would not be going into the branch to withdraw 25000 or even 50000 or even 100000 but i will go into a branch when its over 100 000 , because krungsi and kasikorn have atm limit of 100 000 per day and it can not be raised

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For KTB at least it is not a "local" issue.

Took the picture below at our microbranch.

It's in Thai and in a way no news for Thai people as they are obligated to carry their ID in public at any time. Very few will have a passport with them.

Now draw your conclusions: no mention of DL. Try it.

Other banks might just not care to give a note in Thai as it so self-evident that they show their Thai ID card.

20190906_123615.jpg

On this picture they write that ID / passport is required to withdraw money, to send money and to pay bills. So for example depositing money doesn't require it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

On this picture they write that ID / passport is required to withdraw money, to send money and to pay bills. So for example depositing money doesn't require it.

ID to pay bills? Worried you might pay someone else bill ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not long ago i saw a topic here on Thaivisa that somebody was asked for his ID when paying a bill in Big C.

Yes, I saw that thread too.

What I never knew was how to pay utility bills at Big C?

Do you pay at the normal groceries checkout, or is there another counter - still part of Big C, or is it perhaps a separate company?

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, I saw that thread too.

What I never knew was how to pay utility bills at Big C?

Do you pay at the normal groceries checkout, or is there another counter - still part of Big C, or is it perhaps a separate company?

I was in Big C (Big Care) yesterday and had my lecky bill with me fully intending to pay it. But!! I had a little kerfuffle at the check-out, and clean forgot about it. On the way out I remembered about the bill but didn't want to return, so I paid in the nearby 7-11, which I didn't mind as my favourite check-out girl was there and served me with a smile.

Next month, if I remember, I'll ask at the check-out.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Well i was able to use my DL for 20 years but yesterday was told otherwise. Signs already been posted on this thread, so what exactly are you trying to debate or prove?

And no your wife can not withdraw 500 000 per day through an ATM, NO bank has ATM limits set at 500 000 per day

But if you wish to go deeper, most banks are 20 000 per withdrawal, Bangkok Bank 25 000 per withdrawal and Krungsi bank 30 000 per withdrawal.

How often do i withdraw more than 25000? at least 4-5 times per month and no, i would not be going into the branch to withdraw 25000 or even 50000 or even 100000 but i will go into a branch when its over 100 000 , because krungsi and kasikorn have atm limit of 100 000 per day and it can not be raised

Nobody need to prove anything to nobody by nobody. But Bangkok Bank has, in my case, the withdrawal limit on THB 500K (needs 20 transactions) and yes, I still prefer that over the personal (unfriendly non-)service of the staff inside the bank (Bangkok Bank that is). Enquire with them, should you need higher withdrawal limits - as in my case (dealing with cars). The passport presentation though would not be a problem for me, I am scared away because of the queues and the more than once very inefficient services offered. 

• Like 2